Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,693,961 times

Advertisements

Hi, came in to work today go in the office tell them I am leaving and instead they say no. They then hand me paperwork explaining my termination of employment. How an eligible for unemployment due to a hearing. I am ineligible for hiring back. Just a letter saying company has terminated my employment here. Had to leave immediately and not allowed back on employer grounds again.

Not sure how can explain this to future job prospects. I have one job waiting to start in a week. Not a job interested in but offer's better hour's and closer travel. So I am still looking for job's. What should I give as a reason for leaving my last employer? They did fire me but right after I gave them my notice to leave.

Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-20-2015 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Corrected error in thread title to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
That was quite stupid of them as now you can file unemployment and that will cost them money plus any future employees will not give them the courtesy of a notice. I'd tell your future employers you quit and they did not accept notice and terminated you. Some very sleazy companies do that.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Uuuh, this isn't making sense. Why would you go in to give notice (hopefully in writing) when you were still looking for a job and only had an offer you really didn't want?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 AM

Current employer been on four close to four month's as I said. It has been a headache they lost my health insurance paperwork, then messed up on my employment status placing me as per diem and taking me off benefits, then had to enroll again in health insurance coverage, they docked my pay by fifty cents, moved to a different location adding 15 miles on to my commute, and changed my hour's around.

The new job is same commute all highway, somewhat decent hour's, offers differential and OT, pay is $2 an hour more due to.differential, larger company, and better opportunities. I would love to stay not in current position or same department. However, have a few pending interviews with possibility of job offers if they come up while working for new company I take them if they seemed better.

I say travel time to old employer was 40 miles for $13 an hour. Current job $15 an hour and 30 mile drive. I do have a second job per diem also starting up so can make money doing that for time being. I am glad I am done with the company just hope them firing doesn't come back to hurt me.

Last edited by RunD1987; 01-20-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 AM

Only thing can justify being fired was on probation and called out day prior. I been to work feeling sick and through storm's. However, this ice storm hit and I called out. The second person working my shift called out as well, he was in an accident. So guess they could of felt I left them high and dry.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I had a job like this. I worked in an insurance office with several brokers. One of them gave their 2 week notice because they found another job and couldn't stand the BS going on in the current job. Instead the boss fired them that day and said get your things and leave. I found out why they did this. They don't want you taking away their clients and stealing information to bring to the new job. In other words you leave in 2 weeks but in that time it would give the broker a chance to tell his clients they are leaving, and give him/her an opportunity to steal business. This way if they fire you on the spot you can't do that.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,357 times
Some jobs will do this for security reasons, particularly if you have access to any kind of sensitive information. They don't want you leaving them a present on your way out. Even if only 2% of employees do this, it's bad enough that the safest course for some employers is to just terminate you on the spot.

Either that or else they just really wanted you out of there. They aren't going to be paying unemployment because you told them you're taking another job. Gotta be unemployed to collect unemployment.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:36 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, came in to work today go in the office tell them I am leaving and instead they say no. They then hand me paperwork explaining my termination of employment. How an eligible for unemployment due to a hearing. I am ineligible for hiring back. Just a letter saying company has terminated my employment here. Had to leave immediately and not allowed back on employer grounds again.

Not sure how can explain this to future job prospects. I have one job waiting to start in a week. Not a job interested in but offer's better hour's and closer travel. So I am still looking for job's. What should I give as a reason for leaving my last employer? They did fire me but right after I gave them my notice to leave.

Appreciate the feedback.
I would say I quit. You did give notice, and they chose not to have you around for your notice. This is very common. The response is honest.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
The wording on questions about the termination involving firing or quitting when you were going to be fired. Therefore, marking "no", would be a lie regardless. I wouldn't blame the employee for the lie, but job seekers need to be honest with themselves even if they lie to an employer.

Take the unemployment opportunity since they decided to can you.

If someone working in a finance office has half a brain, they are going to memorize the contact information for clients before they give notice to the boss, so being fired is only a detriment to those that are stupid. Even the strictest of ethics codes don't require a former employee not to contact customers from memory (can't copy personal information) if there is no non-compete clause in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment