Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:22 PM

47 posts, read 72,933 times

Advertisements

Here is my problem: I have a very "difficult" boss. I like my job and work for a good company but my boss is impossible to please, a control freak, makes a big deal of everything and only sees things her way. I have worked for her for 2 years and have learned to deal with most of it. My issue now is I live in the path of a very dangerous blizzard,(Hartford, CT) aiming for us Tuesday and Wednesday. I just know I'm going to have to come to work unless I dip into my PTO time. I really don't want to do that because I have many important events coming up this year and I need to save whatever time I have. I have to accrue it and I have a vacation planned for April and as long as I don't use any before then, I can take 5 days, for our trip to Honolulu, Hawaii. Many managers allow their employees to work from home during snow days. But my boss says I don't have the kind of job that allows me to work from home. I'm the company secretary and even though most of my duties take place in the office, she could give me a project to work on at home. But she just won't.

I'm not really sure what to do because I really can't use pto but if I drive into work on Tuesday I risk my life. They are saying this is a historical blizzard coming our way. I hate that I get forced into taking PTO for mother nature. So I probably will have to drive into work in the blizzard. I wish she would allow me to make up the time or take it unpaid, or work from home, but I'm 99 percent sure she will flip out and say no.

Does anyone here get forced to use PTO for mother nature? Should I press her on the topic to allow me to take another option?

thanks

Moderator comment: Please read Post #145 and if you intend to post, read the thread first so that you will not repeat questions which have already been answered several times.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-26-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 03:44 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
So you don't show up for work because it's inconvenient for you and are complaining about it costing you a PTO day? Am I missing something? Are you being forced to use a PTO day on a day the business is closed instead of not being paid for not working that day as the business isn't open? I could see that being an issue, although I have no idea why an employer would force you to use a PTO day instead of just not paying you if they're closed to the weather.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Unfortunately, this is the way it is in some companies.

If the storm is bad enough, perhaps the authorities will partially solve your problem by declaring a state of emergency and banning nonessential travel. But that still doesn't require that they pay you.

I've been in that same situation when I lived back east. There's no good answer, but risking your life to get to work, if it's really that bad, is foolish.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:48 PM

I would be fine with taking the day unpaid but she won't let me. She is not flexible for anything. And these aren't company rules, they are HER rules. Other employees don't have to deal with this. They have options ex. work from home, take the day unpaid or make up the hours should they take the day off.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Do you have perfect attendance other than this potential snow day? Never sick, never late, etc? I have a feeling she's probab like this because your attendance is already spotty.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
that's horrible. i always work remotely, home or travel. when i use to live in Boston (omg i hated it so much), if there was going to be a huge blizzard my manager always called me to make sure i wasn't traveling and if i was to reschedule

Old 01-25-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Do you have perfect attendance other than this potential snow day? Never sick, never late, etc? I have a feeling she's probab like this because your attendance is already spotty.

My attendance is fine. She has been like this since Day 1. I'm not her favorite. There are a few other people work under her and a lot of favoritism. And people can't help if they are sick. That shouldn't be used against you if you have the flu.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
that's horrible. i always work remotely, home or travel. when i use to live in Boston (omg i hated it so much), if there was going to be a huge blizzard my manager always called me to make sure i wasn't traveling and if i was to reschedule

I wish she was more flexible. She has a reputation for being very difficult. Everyone always says "I don't know how you deal with her" ..lol

I feel like I have let her push me around and thats why she treats me the way she does. Maybe I need to take a stand.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:59 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Is there a company policy? An individual manager can't override that unless it says "at the managers discretion..."

Most places I worked in nj and pa published an inclement weather policy each winter.

ETA: and most of those places did require the use of PTO unless the company officially closed....

Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Is there a company policy? An individual manager can't override that unless it says "at the managers discretion..."

Most places I worked in nj and pa published an inclement weather policy each winter.

YUP "at managers discretion"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment