Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM

743 posts, read 832,411 times

Advertisements

FINALLY. Months of applying to every job posting that I'm qualified for and hearing nothing back knocked me down further each day.

Today, interview with a drug/alcohol/dna testing company for a specimen collector position. Have no clue what they pay and very limited data online about it. I'm expecting 12 an hour. M-F 8-5 schedule.

Tomorrow, interview with Securitas for a security officer position. Pay for them seems between 20-25k a year. Schedule probably varies greatly (which I'd prefer... not a 8-5 strict routine person).

I certainly am not happy with the pay for either, as I'll go from flat broke to still slightly broke. At this point though, I HAVE to take whatever is offered to me. Funds have run out. I held out for months and passed up similar paying positions about 4-5 months ago, and then an unexpected dead period occurred of not hearing back for any jobs. I can't afford to have that happen again, so it is what it is.

Anyone know much about these positions and if there is any chance of moving up? I'd be okay with a bad paying job if there were a high chance of being promoted to a good paying role.

Also, what happens if both companies give me an offer? What if one were to next week, and then the other does the week after? I obviously couldn't stall that long with the first.

Last edited by JobSeeker101; 01-28-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Specimen collector is probably also $20-30k Probably dead end unless you have a science, or med tech degree. Then you can become an analyst for 35-50k.

Security officer I doubt there is any path at all to advance. If you wanted to move up to chief of security or something like that you probably need extensive police/military experience.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Don't worry about it yet. Just ask the first company when they need a decision by and go from there.

If security officer means standing up for 12 hour shifts while putting on a smile and greeting people, I might go with the first. Dunno about either type of job.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Specimen collector is probably also $20-30k Probably dead end unless you have a science, or med tech degree. Then you can become an analyst for 35-50k.

Security officer I doubt there is any path at all to advance. If you wanted to move up to chief of security or something like that you probably need extensive police/military experience.
I have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice, so I feel that I would be able to move up in security. I'd assume most guards only have a high school education.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Move up to what? For security, companies value high level police and military experience and training not degrees. You'd be better off becoming a police officer instead.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Move up to what? For security, companies value high level police and military experience and training not degrees. You'd be better off becoming a police officer instead.
Decided against becoming a police officer for many reasons. Well this company has entry level security, team lead, shift supervisor, general supervisor, local branch manager, and regional branch manager. I doubt too many police left their jobs to work security full time, except retired officers. And military veterans would generally choose policing far more than security for low starting wage.

I also graduated from my city's citizens police academy program.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:28 PM

Well just got home from the drug/alcohol collector interview. I think it went well. We shall see about the security position interview tomorrow. I believe I am actually overqualified for it, and wondering if I should ask if they have a position available a step above it?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Interview with Securitas in 90 minutes. After reading hundreds of reviews, it doesn't sound like a very good company to work for, at least as a security officer. Terrible benefits, pay between 8-12 dollars an hour, crazy hours, and not the best management.

I'm more qualified than the typical applicant, so I'm thinking I should ask them about a supervisory position. From what I've gathered, if you start as a guard then your chance at promotion is slim to none.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:39 AM

Well the interview with Securitas was TERRIBLE. I arrived 10 minutes early and waited to be interviewed. Once my time came around, the interviewer asked me to wait just a minute. A disgruntled employee went into her office and exploded. Cursing and yelling about drama with her coworkers and supervisor. She went on for 45 minutes straight and the interviewer never once apologized to me or updated me. I can't believe I even stayed.

Another lady who clearly wasn't an interviewer told me to come with her. She seemed off socially, and spoke extremely quietly to the point that I had to lean in to hear her. She kept asking me redundant questions, and I finally asked her "don't you have my resume?" Nope, the other lady did. Asked about growth potential... slim to none. Job site would be 30 minutes away from me and the lady didn't even know what shift I would be on. Pay is 12.60 an hour. From having an inside look at the employees, I'm clearly overqualified for this.

They'll do the background check on me and I'm sure I'll be offered the position soon. I need a job and money desperately, but I'm not sure this is worth it.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 PM

154 posts, read 261,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Well the interview with Securitas was TERRIBLE. I arrived 10 minutes early and waited to be interviewed. Once my time came around, the interviewer asked me to wait just a minute. A disgruntled employee went into her office and exploded. Cursing and yelling about drama with her coworkers and supervisor. She went on for 45 minutes straight and the interviewer never once apologized to me or updated me. I can't believe I even stayed.

Another lady who clearly wasn't an interviewer told me to come with her. She seemed off socially, and spoke extremely quietly to the point that I had to lean in to hear her. She kept asking me redundant questions, and I finally asked her "don't you have my resume?" Nope, the other lady did. Asked about growth potential... slim to none. Job site would be 30 minutes away from me and the lady didn't even know what shift I would be on. Pay is 12.60 an hour. From having an inside look at the employees, I'm clearly overqualified for this.

They'll do the background check on me and I'm sure I'll be offered the position soon. I need a job and money desperately, but I'm not sure this is worth it.
Take it. If possible I would request a later shift like 12 to 8 so that you can still have time to interview in the mornings if something else comes available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search