Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

I have over twelve years of professional experience in a full time capacity, and I am aware that it is impossible to not make mistakes. Preparation combined with experience can ensure that you do not make a MAJOR mistake. But no amount of preparation, experience, and hours put in during work can prevent making at least some minor mistakes over the years.

Everywhere I have gone and worked, there are always multiple people who report others/throw them under the bus. In other words, when they discover that one of their fellow co-workers has made a boo-boo, instead of telling them directly, they take it above them to their supervisor.

I'm not too concerned about it because as I said, preparation and attention to detail can prevent MAJOR mistakes and chronic minor mistakes, and that is what supervisors are mostly concerned about.

But I would like to understand the mentality of those who report other people. There must be some on here because it's happened to me a number of times

Personally, I don't do that. Even if it is a person I TOTALLY HATE AT WORK, and trust me, there have been a number of people who fall into that category, I would bring it directly to their attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
They think that the way to the top is to destroy everyone else rather than moving up based on your own merits.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
It's a suck up move by people who are not team players and are self-serving, and a lot of managers buy into it.

The only correct response to this as a manager, is to look unfazed and ask, "Did you discuss it with X (the person who made the mistake)?" And when the answer is no, to follow that up with, "Well, why are you in here talking to me about it instead of X? I guess I don't see the point you're trying to make."

People stop trying to impress when they don't get the response they want.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's a suck up move by people who are not team players and are self-serving, and a lot of managers buy into it.

The only correct response to this as a manager, is to look unfazed and ask, "Did you discuss it with X (the person who made the mistake)?" And when the answer is no, to follow that up with, "Well, why are you in here talking to me about it instead of X? I guess I don't see the point you're trying to make."

People stop trying to impress when they don't get the response they want.
Exactly! I had a boss once who made this point to me and it changed the way I worked from then on. He told me that it was my responsibility to engage with the other party and for us to reconcile any issues between us. Too many bosses let their employees come in and dump on them instead of telling the employees to manage it.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:34 AM

384 posts, read 507,882 times
My favorite is when someone "threatens" to call my boss. The old line, "Bob, I think I need to call your boss Jim if I can't get what I want."

My usual response is, "Ok, here is Jim's email address and phone number! Anything else you need?"

Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
"What goes around, comes around."

Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 PM

391 posts, read 453,910 times
Snitches get stitches...

Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 PM

154 posts, read 261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
Snitches get stitches...
Lol

Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
I do it all the time. Depends on the person, but I always give people a chance. If people are making mistakes and not improving when I tell them, or have really poor attitudes about it despite me being helpful, I just go to their boss. There are several people I deal with problems with directly, and many more that I dont bother because they can't handle constructive criticism.

Btw - a main prt of my job is monitoring nearly everyone's work, so it's my JOB to monitor and report. None of them work directly for me, so in all honesty it's not even my job to bring it up with them, but to their supervisors.

It's amazing how some people can't figure it out. I don't like telling people what they did wrong. No one does. But if they can't work with me then it will only be harder on them. Often if they argue I just walk away. Not my problem.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM

154 posts, read 261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I have over twelve years of professional experience in a full time capacity, and I am aware that it is impossible to not make mistakes. Preparation combined with experience can ensure that you do not make a MAJOR mistake. But no amount of preparation, experience, and hours put in during work can prevent making at least some minor mistakes over the years.

Everywhere I have gone and worked, there are always multiple people who report others/throw them under the bus. In other words, when they discover that one of their fellow co-workers has made a boo-boo, instead of telling them directly, they take it above them to their supervisor.

I'm not too concerned about it because as I said, preparation and attention to detail can prevent MAJOR mistakes and chronic minor mistakes, and that is what supervisors are mostly concerned about.

But I would like to understand the mentality of those who report other people. There must be some on here because it's happened to me a number of times

Personally, I don't do that. Even if it is a person I TOTALLY HATE AT WORK, and trust me, there have been a number of people who fall into that category, I would bring it directly to their attention.
Unfortunately there are many hateful vindictive people in this world who enjoy making others look bad. While you nor I would sever do that there are a ton of others unhappy people who enjoy doing the type of petty behavior that you noted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment