Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,437,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Because that's what you're doing. You don't want to admit that there are more important considerations than the one consideration you personally care about. The fact that you posted four comments in a row ranting about your personal preference without responding to the broader issue raised by the OP itself seems to indicate you plan to browbeat other perspectives out of the thread by simply posting more messages. Very strange.

You can do what you wish. I'll continue to look at the issue as a whole, and condemn myopic fixation on money in a situation that is actually about people.

Economics: A social science that studies how individuals, governments, firms, and nations make choices on allocating scarce resources to satisfy their unlimited wants.

But hey, you don't actually know anything about economics from the looks of this thread, so I wouldn't expect you to know that economics is about people. And I've been talking economics the entire time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,715,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Economics: A social science that studies how individuals, governments, firms, and nations make choices on allocating scarce resources to satisfy their unlimited wants.
Employment - an occupation by which a person earns a living

Quote:
But hey, you don't actually know anything about economics from the looks of this thread, so I wouldn't expect you to know that economics is about people.
I taught Economics in grad school a few decades ago. I learned that economics can be distorted to support whatever corrupt perspective the economist wishes to support, including an excessive focus on money as the only important aspect of life. Economics is a tool. You are misusing it. I'm calling you out on that. I'm sorry that that upsets you. I think we've beaten this horse to death.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

I taught Economics in grad school a few decades ago.
I feel sorry for your students.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 AM
bUU

If you cannot bring yourself to address yourself to the human side of the matter, and instead all you can do post yet-another pointlessly self-gratifying insult, that says more about your perspective than I could.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:14 AM

No, it's just that you don't actually respond to the questions I raised, or when I proved what you said to be false. So, there really isn't a discussion to be had with you.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 02-08-2015 at 08:24 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM

8,054 posts, read 10,647,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
That's why I'm intent on becoming wealthy: it's either that or become poor. There is no middle option.
I have come to see this and I agree.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have come to see this and I agree.
I know plenty of people in the middle ground, myself included. That isn't to say there aren't problems with the middle class, but to pretend like it has all just vanish and is being killed off by the evil rich man is preposterous.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,103 times
Quote:
So jobs that create far less value than it was being compensated for have been intentionally phased out?

Ground breaking.

"you only hire someone unless you have to"
Well, yeah. Don't individuals do the exact same thing? Or do you pay extra money for things you don't even want or need?

Let me pay 3 people to cut my grass. Let me pay for two doctor's visits!
People pay more than they have to for things they don't need all the time. I didn't need to get a smoothie today, but I did and it cost $9. You don't need to eat out ever, but I'm sure you sometimes eat at nice restaurants. Etc.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Originally Posted by Thatsright19
So jobs that create far less value than it was being compensated for have been intentionally phased out?

Ground breaking.

"you only hire someone unless you have to"
Well, yeah. Don't individuals do the exact same thing? Or do you pay extra money for things you don't even want or need?"

I never pay more than I need to. I just booked a 3.5 star hotel, whose list is $119 per night right now, for $53 plus taxes/fees or $65 all in.. I haven't paid > $55 room rate for it in ages, always looking for deals on it. Doing the same with Chicago vacation hotel, and my roundtrip airfare (using points and buying them when short) is about $65.

My Citi Field ticket Sunday was 30% cheaper than comparable seats in adjoining sections.

Employment is no different. People search for the best bang for the buck, not the cheapest always, but the best value of skill sets, experience, and cost.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
People pay more than they have to for things they don't need all the time. I didn't need to get a smoothie today, but I did and it cost $9. You don't need to eat out ever, but I'm sure you sometimes eat at nice restaurants. Etc.
And the relevant distinction is solely the impact on one's own personal comfort and luxury (the smoothie; the restaurant meal) versus the impact on other people's basic needs (employment that pays enough to pay one's own way and secure one's own future). We know that one could operate a business with unsafe working conditions, if society allowed it, and do better for one's self as a result. However, incidents such as the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire taught us something about the consequences of leaving such matters up to the individual to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment