Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,493 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I know the general consensus is "Never quit your job without something else lined up~!!!!" But do you guys agree with this?

I've been out of college since May. I have a degree in Biology and I work as an Admin Assistant for a small firm. I've had the job for about half a year and it's awful, it literally makes me feel ill thinking about going to work tomorrow hahaha.

I've applied to a few other jobs but haven't heard anything back yet. My boss is a prick and nags at me all day. He expects me to read his mind, and gets really angry if every little thing isn't perfect. He's completely disrespectful and acts like I owe him my life because he gives me 30k a year. I'm dedicating my life and almost all my time to this place, and the guy yells at me about not cropping a centimeter off a picture.

I've noticed some similarities with this job and an abusive relationship. For example, he'll act like a giant dick and then apologize an hour later because he can tell I'm really upset. On Friday he yelled at me about something completely petty. I actually DID the task he asked me to do, but he's horrible with computers and seemed to miss the point? So he came out and yelled at me, and I finally stood up to him. I explained to him that I -did- what he asked, and I showed him in two easy clicks how petty he was being. This made me really upset - He treated me with such disrespect, like a piece of garbage, even though I had performed the task. I went to the bathroom and cried for a while, hahah. I think they could tell I was crying when I came back, because he came out and apologized to me about an hour later. I was on the verge of tears all afternoon though.

I often cry on the way home because this job sucks so much. I hate working in admin and need to get out of here ASAP. I still owe about 13k on my student loan, but I have some stocks I can sell to pay the thing off. I won't be on the streets if I quit - My parents would let me stay there til I find a new job.

Tl;dr My boss was very nice in the beginning, but now that he's getting to know me he's being a giant ass. I cry a lot and I think about my job nonstop when I get home. I spend most of my free time dreading work, and I want to quit.

Is it really true that it's so much easier to find a new job when you're working? Will employers think I'm lazy or mentally ill if I quit now and have a resume gap? This is my first real job.

I know Biology isn't the best degree, but admin is not my cup of tea and I really want to get out of this! I'm perfectly willing and able to work, but this job is killing my drive to do anything and making me really miserable.

I support a team of about 25 people, and the other guys give me a lot of work. They're all really nice and we get along. The only person I have a problem with is the boss.

Sigh one last question. What the heck should I do about references? I have a few coworkers that seem to really like me, but I don't feel comfortable asking them about this. I'm afraid they'll tell someone, or look poorly on me ... I don't know. The guys are really sweet and I think they'd give me a positive reference, but I'm terrified to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 01:59 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
I would leave. Don't let anyone treat you like that. You are barely starting your career and are young. No need to live with that much stress on your life.

Forget the people who say deal with it until you find a new job. You are just gonna end up more miserable. A job is like what a third of your day? That's alot especially one that you don't like.

You have a safety with your parents.

I would quit, rest for a week, regroup then start searching.

*********r boss, he knows he does thats, that's why he apologizes.

You should never let someone treat you like crap?

Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Agree with Almeida that you shouldn't have to put up with it.

That said - I don't think anyone but you can answer the question. There is no right or wrong here. It's what you feel is the best for you. You're miserable at work. But if you quit without anything else lined up, can you support yourself without a job? And if so, for how long? What if it takes you six months to find a job? A year? More?

In essence, you could be trading one miserable experience for another. And the latter could follow you around for much longer if you end up defaulting on any payments.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Bottom line is, it's your life, so if it's OK for you, then it's OK to do.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
I'm sorry to hear about this. I've been in this situation before. If your parents will let you stay with them, I guess it's fine. Otherwise, I would slug through it until you get another job. What if you hate all your future jobs just as much? Are you just going to keep living on the edge and quit each of them?

Old 02-08-2015, 02:48 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
You should contact recruiters/temp companies. Then take any temp job. Then you resign nicely at your job and don't burn bridges. Then you have the temp job and work there until the temp job is over. Try to get a temp job in your chosen profession, such as something related to your degree.

Also apply to every job at hospitals and government agencies. And take the first job you get.

Then you rid yourself of the bad boss when you get a new job. Temp jobs are often easier to get, but they can be shorter term (some can be longer term also). But in your situation at least if you take a temp job and get laid off - then your 'reason for leaving' your last job looks good to a future employer. Because you left because it was a temp job. That looks better than quitting your current job with nothing lined up. If you quit your current job because you took another job(temp job), then that is ok on your resume.

Bottom line, you want your resume to look good. And resigning for another job(even temp) will look better than resigning with nothing else lined up.

When talking to recruiters/temp jobs for interviews, never give any hint about your problematic boss. Instead say you are leaving to gain more experience for future career growth.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:00 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
I'd leave if I were you. Your background is in Biology and you're working something unrelated to the field. Your boss sounds like a loony tunes psychopath to me and I would have walked out if he acted that way towards me. It's a matter of safety since this kind of person comes across as a borderline psychopath; these people prey on others they think can't or won't fight back. If the next employer asks why you quit just be honest and use your best judgment; any employer that would have you in a bad position is someone you shouldn't work for.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
As long as you have backup I would not hesitate to quit. I have done it 3 times, but with two of the jobs I had a husband for backup. The first time I was single. The job was a licensed bill collector job. All of my experience was commercial collections and this job was collecting hospital bills and such from individuals. I hated it so much that I had to puke every morning before leaving for work. I quit after 3 weeks. Just a month or so later I found a great job with a publishing company.

The second time, my job in the publishing company had ended after 16 years when the company was sold. I moved to Houston to marry my husband and got a decent job at an A/V sales company. The job was fine, but I could not handle the tiny cubicle I had to share with someone else after so many years having my own private space. It was an hour commute each way and just wasn't worth it. I quit after 3 weeks. I guess that is my threshold!

The third time is hardly worth mentioning. I had my own office at this place, but was not allowed to have so much as a bottle of water or cup of coffee at my desk. Forget about lunch at your desk...you had to go sit at a table in the warehouse, which was filled with chemicals and cleaning supplies, or eat in your car. This was in Texas and it is hot! I had enough of their draconian rules and never came back after one day.

It all depends on what you're willing to put up with. The older I get the less I am going to put up with.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Keep in mind two things in making your decision:

1. Future employers will not like to hear your reason for leaving that job, anything negative about a previous employer is the kiss of death in an interview, true or not.

2. Many people posting here lament the time it takes to find a new job. Can you afford to go 6 months, a year or more without any income? Will your parents help with food, clothing, and other expenses in addition to letting you stay there? Your situation is not likely to qualify you for unemployment compensation.

On the other hand, if it's so bad that your health (or mental health) is suffering, it might be best to go. Certainly step your search for something better. Many employers do prefer hiring people that are already working, but at the same time, you would be more available for interviews. References will be a problem, with that boss I would not expect people to be very willing to help you. Also, one year sounds better than 9 months on your resume. Maybe try to hold out until May-June?

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMiami View Post
Hello everyone.

I know the general consensus is "Never quit your job without something else lined up~!!!!" But do you guys agree with this?
No!!! Hell no. What if you never have anything else lined up? What if you have bad instincts, and the rebound job is just as bad? Sometimes it's good to have time alone to assess what you want. Just remember the six months rule. Stay with the job for six months, don't be without a job six months. Stay with a job for six months to make it look good on your record, don't be without a job six months because it weakens your network.

You owe it to yourself to have a meaningful job and a meaningful life. It's nobody's business what you do but yours. That said, it will be harder. Just give the guy about two weeks notice, and leave on a mostly good note. Try to give the previous employer a "I really appreciate you giving me this job, but now I must move on" impression, and try to get a reference from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment