Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,242 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone who is or was self employed has any experience undergoing a HireRight background check for a job that includes salary verification, and what exactly the process entailed. Let's say HireRight requests w2s or 1099s to prove your self employment income, and you provide them. What is their process for verifying this information? If you are self employed, they cannot call YOU, the company owner, to verify the info on the w2 or 1099 is correct. Well, they could, but that would be pointless, right? So, it seems to me the only way to verify that this information is true would be to have the person undergoing the employment verification fill out a 4056-T form, consenting to a transcription of the person's tax returns from the IRS to HireRight. Can anyone comment on whether or not HireRight does this, or has any other way to verify w2s and 1099s submitted form someone who is self employed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
I don't have any inside information, but I can't imagine that they would need anything beyond the 1099/W2. (A) forging tax documents is a big deal and (B) it's not as though it really matters how much you made anyway.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:35 PM

139 posts, read 250,583 times
My last experience with HireRight involved a "level 1" background check. No salary information was requested for this verification. I'm guessing salary will most likely not be verified.

What's interesting is that they will call whatever contact you list for a company. I probably could have just given my own cell number and verified all of my employment history myself. It would have been easier than the weeks of phone tag they went through calling all the companies I had listed.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
I'd tell a prospective employer to go to Hell if they ask for my tax records.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 PM

42 posts, read 59,901 times
"I don't have any inside information, but I can't imagine that they would need anything beyond the 1099/W2. (A) forging tax documents is a big deal and (B) it's not as though it really matters how much you made anyway."

Well actually if someone made fake W2 or 1099 documents it would not be illegal as long as they are not being used to send to the government (ie IRS etc.) or to obtain any type of loans under false pretense. But, to provide to a private company for verification would not be illegal.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Me too. I've been asked for that once, and I jokingly told them that if they could send me their corporate balance sheets and income statements, I would send them my W-2's. They backed off. I ended up getting the job, by the way.

I've done a background check with HireRight and salary was never asked, just educational verification, address verification, criminal records check and previous employer verification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I'd tell a prospective employer to go to Hell if they ask for my tax records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment