Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

WalMart only had around a 3% operating profit last year. That is razor thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM

325 posts, read 255,857 times
In the days of Sam Walton building his business, flying his plane around to secure contracts from manufacturers and suppliers, WalMart was a triumph of the American work ethic. Does anyone remember the "Red, White and Blue values" signs all over the stores? Yes, they pushed smaller retailers out of business, but they did it in a way that was beneficial to the local economy. At that time they created more jobs than they destroyed by creating opportunity for manufacturers to increase production or diversify into new product lines to keep their stores full. The majority of the jobs lost were low paying retail jobs, and the stores often absorbed the local attrition, while contributing to the wider economy, as many of the manufacturing opportunities created were better paying, and the spending by those employees in turn created new opportunities to provide services which they now had expendable income to purchase, which caused a snowball effect creating other opportunities.
With the outsourcing of manufacturing to China, this all changed. Every job a Wal Mart creates eliminates as many as twenty American jobs in related industries. And Wal Mart is the largest employer in the US, with over 600,000 employees. Their stated cost of goods sold last year was 365 BILLION DOLLARS. 96% of that goes straight into the Chinese economy. Every 3 years, 1 trillion dollars lost from our economy. Our entire GDP is 14.3 trillion.
Wal Mart can stick their dollar raise up their azzes.
Make it in America to sell it in America. Then I'll stop vilifying you. When you stop being the enemy, Wal Mart.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
$10/hour should be the minimum wage nationally. Nobody who works full time should starve or depend heavily on government assistance just so they can survive.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Although I'm sure Walmart will end up making a profit out of this somehow (positive PR!), I'm glad that my tax dollars won't be used to support their underpaid wage slaves. Either companies pay their employees living wages or the government covers the cost.

Evil, evil company...
Wal Mart makes their billions in profit almost entirely from entitlement programs. As another poster pointed out, the profit margin is tiny. They make it up in volume. The percentage of net profit is very closely equivalent to the disparity between a living wage and the minimum wage. The Government entitlement (social welfare) programs which we have, enable them to have sufficient staffing to perpetuate their business model. A living wage, enough to eliminate the need for welfare to their employees, would closely parallel that margin to the point where it would then be a zero sum game.
Everyone who owns stock in Wal Mart, either as an individual investor or in a mutual fund, 401k, etc. and complains about welfare, should realize that the taxes that they complain are going to entitlement programs are the source of the dividends they receive every quarter.
You are paying yourselves with the very taxes you complain about.
You proud and superior people are,(and have been for over 2 decades), being played for chumps by the very people you idolize and unquestionably support.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm surprised that they schedule her on Sundays. Most management would put her into the only if no one else can work list. Now personally I would imagine she has some seniority an is probably a good worker but that's not how most businesses are run. Wal-Mart is especially known for cheap prices over customer service. It's a justified sacrifice to them and their shoppers. I'd just say that this lady is Really lucky.
Our schedules come out of Bentonville not the store. If they didn't want her working Sundays I guess she wouldn't. The dept. managers DO review schedules and make changes, if necessary, but it doesn't seem to matter how long you've been there to work certain days. She has 27 years seniority and yes, she's a good worker. A lot of dept. managers work Sundays. Most management has been there a minimum of five years and others ten to twenty. We do have good management in our store and we know we are lucky in that regard.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
In the days of Sam Walton building his business, flying his plane around to secure contracts from manufacturers and suppliers, WalMart was a triumph of the American work ethic. Does anyone remember the "Red, White and Blue values" signs all over the stores? Yes, they pushed smaller retailers out of business, but they did it in a way that was beneficial to the local economy. At that time they created more jobs than they destroyed by creating opportunity for manufacturers to increase production or diversify into new product lines to keep their stores full. The majority of the jobs lost were low paying retail jobs, and the stores often absorbed the local attrition, while contributing to the wider economy, as many of the manufacturing opportunities created were better paying, and the spending by those employees in turn created new opportunities to provide services which they now had expendable income to purchase, which caused a snowball effect creating other opportunities.
With the outsourcing of manufacturing to China, this all changed. Every job a Wal Mart creates eliminates as many as twenty American jobs in related industries. And Wal Mart is the largest employer in the US, with over 600,000 employees. Their stated cost of goods sold last year was 365 BILLION DOLLARS. 96% of that goes straight into the Chinese economy. Every 3 years, 1 trillion dollars lost from our economy. Our entire GDP is 14.3 trillion.
Wal Mart can stick their dollar raise up their azzes.
Make it in America to sell it in America. Then I'll stop vilifying you. When you stop being the enemy, Wal Mart.
Walmart has been working for the past two years to concentrate of getting and selling more American made goods. This article from Reuters, June 2014, explains some of it. They already sell quite a bit of American made.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...DEFOAF20140604

My apologies but it seems this page cannot be found, for some reason. I checked my spelling, etc. and it's okay but some of the URL is missing. Don't know how to fix it.

There are numerous articles about Walmart and American made goods online. I just Googled it.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:34 AM

I defy you to find any made in america product outside of the grocery section. There are very few and you'll have to look really hard to find any. We no longer have the infrastructure in place to make the things we use. This is the legacy of walmart and others like it.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:35 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
The problem with this is they are probably gonna cut the employee's hours so it will all be a wash.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
I defy you to find any made in america product outside of the grocery section. There are very few and you'll have to look really hard to find any. We no longer have the infrastructure in place to make the things we use. This is the legacy of walmart and others like it.

There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else.
Sam Walton

Read more at There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the... - Sam Walton at BrainyQuote

Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:

Well, that was easy.

Kent gets Walmart manufacturing award | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Kent Bikes is opening a plant in South Carolina

HanesBrands Relocating Production Line From Honduras To Clarksville, Arkansas - Area Development

Quote:
The plant already makes hosiery for mass retailers, including Walmart
Hanesbrands operates its own plants and manufacturers 90% of its own products.

I fully expect the goalposts to move, but you "defied" someone to find you US made products sold in Walmart.

Let's also not forget this.

Walmart's U.S. Manufacturing Commitment Information for Suppliers

Walmart plans to spend an additional 50 billion dollars on US made products over the next 10 years. Which other retailer has made that commitment?

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 02-21-2015 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment