Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times

Advertisements

Due to recent layoff's I've found myself with more time getting to know my neighbors. Needless to say some I might have been better off not getting to know, but others, have left a long lasting impression on me. Just when I started to feel sad about my situation, I realized that there were others whose situations were far worse.

One morning, while preparing to pound the pavement for new work, a neighbor was having car trouble and needed a jump. Since I had the plug in battery thingy (or whatever it's called.. I didn't buy it) I let him use it. While waiting for his car to start, we engage in a conversation about the economy, lack of jobs etc....and he mentioned that him having a felony (theft and battery) made things even harder for him to find work. Now I had heard stories about men who were unable to find work after serving time in prison, but honestly I just thought it was more about them not really wanting to find work! This man (and his wife) have 3 kids and have always been kind and decent (from what I've seen) people so of course I offer to share with him any information I come across, hoping to help in some way.

What I didn't know was how hard it would be to help! I'm registered with a few agencies myself and was shocked at how many simply have a zero tolerance for hiring felons. Before having gotten to know my neighbors I probably would have taken the "that's what they get" stance but when I see what appears to be a good guy facing what appears to be discrimination, it breaks my heart! It has to be hard living off of one income, especially when you have kids!

How does felons find work after they serve their time?

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
It really depends onw hat the felony was for.

Violent felons have a very hard time finding jobs and often end up working for family or a family friend or in labor type jobs. White collar felons usually find it a bit easier, and depending on how well connected they are can often find work within thier network.

The last company I worked for had a case-by-case policy. We wouldn't hire anyone who had been convicted of a violent crime, end of story. We did have a few felons who had gone to jail for drugs and rehabilitated themselves. They agreed to regular but random and with zero notice drug screening and we never had one fail.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
That so bull**** that a company won't hire a violent felon. I just punched someone ONCE because I was paranoid and being followed around and harassed. I still have gotten good jobs at good companies that didn't check if you had a felony. But one company, Schlumberger - I had to lie that I didn't have one and the recruiter for me lied too. So sometimes you just gotta lie... Because companies too unfairly discriminate against felons.

There are even online websites for felons to get a job but they are useless as I think companies just use them to blacklist felon applicants and never hire from there... So I don't even touch these job listings.

I go nationwide for job hunts, but right now I just focused on a job in Houston then in Chicago only after I moved. I'm gonna write my IL Gov for a Pardon of my felony and get my Psychiatrist and Priest to pitch in for me...

In some places, like Houston - a felon can't even get a good Apt because almost all Apt complexes do background checks.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 PM

296 posts, read 644,863 times
Yea, im sure it is tough for them, I would imagine that it could lead up to repeat felon, gotta have some income.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
The felons I know (2, to be exact) have jobs working at wineries under the table. In fact, the both of them make about 3000 a month each and they don't have to pay taxes.

yes, I have reported them.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:28 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It really depends onw hat the felony was for.
I also think it needs to depend on the age as well.

We have all done stupid things between the age of 18 and 25. Some of us smoked pot when we were younger, some made the stupid mistake of a five fingered discount and for others it might have been stupid vandalism.

I believe some crimes, as long as they didn't involve weapons or violence, need to be expunged after a few years to help young offenders get back on track realizing the 35 year old man with a family you see before you today is ot the same man he was 12 years before.

But the way it is it is really, really tough. If convicted of a felony my advice would be to learn a trade, car repair for example, and start his own business.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I also think it needs to depend on the age as well.

We have all done stupid things between the age of 18 and 25. Some of us smoked pot when we were younger, some made the stupid mistake of a five fingered discount and for others it might have been stupid vandalism.

I believe some crimes, as long as they didn't involve weapons or violence, need to be expunged after a few years to help young offenders get back on track realizing the 35 year old man with a family you see before you today is ot the same man he was 12 years before.

But the way it is it is really, really tough. If convicted of a felony my advice would be to learn a trade, car repair for example, and start his own business.
Most of those wouldn't result in felonies. Pot smoking isn't even a crime in most states. Five finger discount for cheap items--most stores don't even prosecute under a certain dollar threshhold. And unless the person totally trashed something, minor vandalism is seldom more than a misdemeanor.

I do agree with your advice to learn a trade and become self-employed.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most of those wouldn't result in felonies. Pot smoking isn't even a crime in most states. Five finger discount for cheap items--most stores don't even prosecute under a certain dollar threshhold. And unless the person totally trashed something, minor vandalism is seldom more than a misdemeanor.

I do agree with your advice to learn a trade and become self-employed.
Pot smoking, in my younger days in some areas of the country it was a felony. I am older, think back to the days of Reefer Madness. Good Gawd, google has the entire movie online!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
basically more compnaie are being mroe careful has they are being held civilally responsible for what their empoyee do.Blame the trail lawyers for this as they love to sue the company for what the individaul does because they alwasy follow the money.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 PM

If my employer hired a guy that had committed a violent crime in the past, and then I became a victim of additional violence because he snapped one day because he didn't like the fact that my stapler was red and his was black, you bet your butt I'd sue both him and the employer who failed to take a reasonable stadard of care in the hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment