Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to make a few comments.I am currently so discouraged that well....I dont know you guys so I can let it all out...I am cso discouraged with the barrier I have of being a convicted felon that I can barely wake up each day that I lose so much hope sometimes that its downright suicidal....never would i because i am a mother of three and would never selfishly give up by losing all hope or killing mysaelf...i would endure any pain to save them from the pain thierselves...however, i was doing a search tryin to find out who the heck will hire me, when I came across this.It brought me to tears really...because I relate to some of the stories and some of the other comments are so paranoid and out of touch...it is sad to me.

I come from a typical sob story of a littlegirl born into a welfare home of a single mother living in public housing...did drugs,dealt drugs, very poor and always alot of boyfriends...i was shuffled from relative house to house as she got sick of dealing with me...and I started getting in trouble at about age 4, stealing already from stores, weighing out bags of weed for my relatives when they visited, living amidst tons of parties and my dad on the run and my mom in and out of jail....needless to say i never remember not being in trouble, i graduated to more stealing, egging houses...etc...i was home most of the time unsupervised that i remember....i never knew anythign else.I got all a's and B's principles list and honor roll...gifted cute little blonde hair blue eyed girl....yet i fell through the cracks completely.I dont blame everything i did on "my childhood", but I can tellyou now that I am a mother and i have been through so much, I have soul searched and i can tell you for some people there isnt that turning point or that decision to become a criuminal...its a product of your enviorment...i was never not in trouble...i ran away constantly..who wouldnt, she let me stay gone until she thought shed get in trouble...i learned to fend for myself and survive by any means necessary, stealing, etc.. to get school clothes, hygeine items ,whatever. She always told the judge to just keep me in there, she didnt want to deal with it, in juvenille court, if you have no parent support, you rot.I got shipped to program after program and in and out of jdc...i fell so behind fromt he lack of competant schooling in the programs that i couldnt keep up anymore ins chool and never went.Finally the inevitable, i got pregnant at 16 , got sent to a program, attempted to do program for once and at last 30 days got "strated over" forhaving kids father visit in hospital...i ran away from there in labor and refused to have my child inthat enviorment...i went to live with my dad...i never got caught for a year when i did....i was charged as an adult, instead of leaving a jevennile program he decided to give me Escape, the same charge someone gets running awa from jail or prison a 46 point, already score prsion charge, with 2 accompanying charges, both felonies as well.I went to adult jail spent 2 months in solitary(juv. cant be with reg inmates) and had no lawyer( only pd) and no parent in court and was offered a plea of probation and i could get out.....i took it of course, not realizing i just ruined my life....I had an adult felony record before i was even 18, stuck , i never completed probation and i neer could find a stable job or place to live...how could i? It continued from there, just petty violation for missing appointments etc.... finally in 2002 i did 6 months and ended those charges, after that and the birth of my 3rd child, i never touched a drug or anything , never stole again and the only thing i ever got in trouble for again was driving while license suspended(3 times, unpaid traffic tickets), and failure to return leased property for a dispute with a buy here pay here fraud company.....i have flied straight ever since....nothing.I take care of my kids, I live clean and sober, all rejected every friend i had, and when i have found jobs i have worked my butt off, I am a memeber of my church, am active with my children, clubs, ive done volunteering and I am a all around good person...YET i got laid off from a decent company that hired felons....and I can not even get a job at wal-mart, family dollar, race trac --nothing!! Even temp agencies will not even let you apply.I have no violent charges, no drug charges....yet i never even get a call back....and i tell the truth on my apps....honesty gets you no where.My life is in shambles because I can not get a decent job and all I want to do is work...how is this rehabilitating me? Why do i have to pay for crimes that harmed no one but me for the rest of my life....and people always say you did the crime you do the time and things like that---always people with no criminal past .....my kids deserve more and there shoudl be a limit to how long you have to pay. i have gottten my civil rights restored but it doesnt help, only gives me the right to vote for the first time in my whole life next term!and everyone says you can get it expunged-- no you cant, if you were adjudicated guilty, you have no right to expungement or sealing....eyt if you werent adjudicated and adjudication was withheld, most people cant even see the charges...so whats the point of offering expungement....i wish a poitician would see this post and realize some more specific guidelines should be used instead of clumping us all into one big group..I dont like criminals either, Past all my trials I am still having hope and trying to make something of my life, yet I feel like I am not allowed to , like I had my one chance, yet i feel like i never really did......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibson29 View Post
I just wanted to make a few comments.I am currently so discouraged that well....I dont know you guys so I can let it all out...I am cso discouraged with the barrier I have of being a convicted felon that I can barely wake up each day that I lose so much hope sometimes that its downright suicidal....never would i because i am a mother of three and would never selfishly give up by losing all hope or killing mysaelf...i would endure any pain to save them from the pain thierselves...however, i was doing a search tryin to find out who the heck will hire me, when I came across this.It brought me to tears really...because I relate to some of the stories and some of the other comments are so paranoid and out of touch...it is sad to me.

I come from a typical sob story of a littlegirl born into a welfare home of a single mother living in public housing...did drugs,dealt drugs, very poor and always alot of boyfriends...i was shuffled from relative house to house as she got sick of dealing with me...and I started getting in trouble at about age 4, stealing already from stores, weighing out bags of weed for my relatives when they visited, living amidst tons of parties and my dad on the run and my mom in and out of jail....needless to say i never remember not being in trouble, i graduated to more stealing, egging houses...etc...i was home most of the time unsupervised that i remember....i never knew anythign else.I got all a's and B's principles list and honor roll...gifted cute little blonde hair blue eyed girl....yet i fell through the cracks completely.I dont blame everything i did on "my childhood", but I can tellyou now that I am a mother and i have been through so much, I have soul searched and i can tell you for some people there isnt that turning point or that decision to become a criuminal...its a product of your enviorment...i was never not in trouble...i ran away constantly..who wouldnt, she let me stay gone until she thought shed get in trouble...i learned to fend for myself and survive by any means necessary, stealing, etc.. to get school clothes, hygeine items ,whatever. She always told the judge to just keep me in there, she didnt want to deal with it, in juvenille court, if you have no parent support, you rot.I got shipped to program after program and in and out of jdc...i fell so behind fromt he lack of competant schooling in the programs that i couldnt keep up anymore ins chool and never went.Finally the inevitable, i got pregnant at 16 , got sent to a program, attempted to do program for once and at last 30 days got "strated over" forhaving kids father visit in hospital...i ran away from there in labor and refused to have my child inthat enviorment...i went to live with my dad...i never got caught for a year when i did....i was charged as an adult, instead of leaving a jevennile program he decided to give me Escape, the same charge someone gets running awa from jail or prison a 46 point, already score prsion charge, with 2 accompanying charges, both felonies as well.I went to adult jail spent 2 months in solitary(juv. cant be with reg inmates) and had no lawyer( only pd) and no parent in court and was offered a plea of probation and i could get out.....i took it of course, not realizing i just ruined my life....I had an adult felony record before i was even 18, stuck , i never completed probation and i neer could find a stable job or place to live...how could i? It continued from there, just petty violation for missing appointments etc.... finally in 2002 i did 6 months and ended those charges, after that and the birth of my 3rd child, i never touched a drug or anything , never stole again and the only thing i ever got in trouble for again was driving while license suspended(3 times, unpaid traffic tickets), and failure to return leased property for a dispute with a buy here pay here fraud company.....i have flied straight ever since....nothing.I take care of my kids, I live clean and sober, all rejected every friend i had, and when i have found jobs i have worked my butt off, I am a memeber of my church, am active with my children, clubs, ive done volunteering and I am a all around good person...YET i got laid off from a decent company that hired felons....and I can not even get a job at wal-mart, family dollar, race trac --nothing!! Even temp agencies will not even let you apply.I have no violent charges, no drug charges....yet i never even get a call back....and i tell the truth on my apps....honesty gets you no where.My life is in shambles because I can not get a decent job and all I want to do is work...how is this rehabilitating me? Why do i have to pay for crimes that harmed no one but me for the rest of my life....and people always say you did the crime you do the time and things like that---always people with no criminal past .....my kids deserve more and there shoudl be a limit to how long you have to pay. i have gottten my civil rights restored but it doesnt help, only gives me the right to vote for the first time in my whole life next term!and everyone says you can get it expunged-- no you cant, if you were adjudicated guilty, you have no right to expungement or sealing....eyt if you werent adjudicated and adjudication was withheld, most people cant even see the charges...so whats the point of offering expungement....i wish a poitician would see this post and realize some more specific guidelines should be used instead of clumping us all into one big group..I dont like criminals either, Past all my trials I am still having hope and trying to make something of my life, yet I feel like I am not allowed to , like I had my one chance, yet i feel like i never really did......
All so sad.....but very true.
It's a ZERO Tolerance society now. Politically Correct to the max!
An Eagle Scout in a high school just got expelled for a MONTH.....for having a 2 INCH pocket knife INSIDE the trunk of his car in the school parking lot!
NOT even a crime.....according to the local law there.....but to OUR lovely public school system.....it IS the law....their law and EVERYONE IS lumped into one category when it comes to "possessing" WEAPONS of any kind. A 2" knife is NO different in the eyes of the power trippin school board and their policies.....than having a gun.
BUT......I guess they believe that a baseball bat poses NO threat.....or certainly, not as much as a 2 inch knife locked in a car trunk.
What about screwdrivers, hammers, nail files, pens, pencils and flammable perfumes?
ALL...potential weapons too.
A 10 yr. old student seen with an aspirin pill from home.......is treated as a major drug bust to some schools thesedays.
SAD shape is our land of the free.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
I could use some more paragraphs in order to read that.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 PM

139 posts, read 254,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
That so bull**** that a company won't hire a violent felon. I just punched someone ONCE because I was paranoid and being followed around and harassed. I still have gotten good jobs at good companies that didn't check if you had a felony. But one company, Schlumberger - I had to lie that I didn't have one and the recruiter for me lied too. So sometimes you just gotta lie... Because companies too unfairly discriminate against felons.

There are even online websites for felons to get a job but they are useless as I think companies just use them to blacklist felon applicants and never hire from there... So I don't even touch these job listings.

I go nationwide for job hunts, but right now I just focused on a job in Houston then in Chicago only after I moved. I'm gonna write my IL Gov for a Pardon of my felony and get my Psychiatrist and Priest to pitch in for me...

In some places, like Houston - a felon can't even get a good Apt because almost all Apt complexes do background checks.
I agree entirely. Just because a guy makes a move that's considered "bad" by normal everyday sheeple his life is ruined. It's okay to harassle somebody but if that guy takes evasive action then oh boy look out! we got a nut job on our hands!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
Default I've read that

many job applicants with clean backgrounds can still have bad character attributes that an employer won't find about until after the person is hired, just that it never rises to the level of committing crimes. In fact, many with old records way in the past have learned and can likely be better employees(tho I'm sure not all) who are likely to be on their best behavior

still, not sure if i would feel comfortable with an axe murderer

Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,881 times
do felons have to report to anyone when moving in to nevada?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,881 times
Default felons

do felons have to report to anyone when moving in to navada

Old 07-04-2010, 06:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I like the idea of sweatshops of felons and prisoners. The prisoners don't get paid as they get lodging and food.

This cheap labor could fuel the startups of manufacturing companies, which will, in turn, hire people to do non-sweatshop work.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Due to recent layoff's I've found myself with more time getting to know my neighbors. Needless to say some I might have been better off not getting to know, but others, have left a long lasting impression on me. Just when I started to feel sad about my situation, I realized that there were others whose situations were far worse.

One morning, while preparing to pound the pavement for new work, a neighbor was having car trouble and needed a jump. Since I had the plug in battery thingy (or whatever it's called.. I didn't buy it) I let him use it. While waiting for his car to start, we engage in a conversation about the economy, lack of jobs etc....and he mentioned that him having a felony (theft and battery) made things even harder for him to find work. Now I had heard stories about men who were unable to find work after serving time in prison, but honestly I just thought it was more about them not really wanting to find work! This man (and his wife) have 3 kids and have always been kind and decent (from what I've seen) people so of course I offer to share with him any information I come across, hoping to help in some way.

What I didn't know was how hard it would be to help! I'm registered with a few agencies myself and was shocked at how many simply have a zero tolerance for hiring felons. Before having gotten to know my neighbors I probably would have taken the "that's what they get" stance but when I see what appears to be a good guy facing what appears to be discrimination, it breaks my heart! It has to be hard living off of one income, especially when you have kids!

How does felons find work after they serve their time?

Any suggestions?
The problem today is that society has become a zero tolerance society, no mercy and no chance for giving people an opportunity to redeem themselves. It is said we are a very religious society but in my opinion not very since we do not give people that have made mistakes in life a second chance. I totally understand your point. On top of that we have criminalized so many things that in some cases as petty things. Also, someone that could be a very good parent, husband, neighborg, etc. and he is cought smoking pot he looses his job, cannot support a family, his family ends up in welfare, etc. because he now is branded for life, take care.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The felons I know (2, to be exact) have jobs working at wineries under the table. In fact, the both of them make about 3000 a month each and they don't have to pay taxes.

yes, I have reported them.

why did you have to report them? that's kind of cruel, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment