Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
It's like my husband says, no one helps the regular guy just trying to get ahead.

The regular guy is not a felon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
Most felons I know work low wage jobs in warehouses or under the table construction/day labor.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Most felons I know work low wage jobs in warehouses or under the table construction/day labor.
Is that the same with white collar felons? You think all those elite boys in upper management who live in the million dollar homes who look down on the little people are completely clean? How do they get I'm or is it usually from daddy or some connection?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Is that the same with white collar felons? You think all those elite boys in upper management who live in the million dollar homes who look down on the little people are completely clean? How do they get I'm or is it usually from daddy or some connection?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sadly felons exist on both ends of economic spectrum.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
JetJockey, I think you reporting those guys is sorry and pathetic for a couple of reasons. 1, you don't do those guys taxes. Even if you've somehow seen their tax returns, I still don't condone reporting them. Yea, I pay my taxes, but what do my taxes pay for? Ridiculous and outrageous politician salaries? I have no problems with people trying to get over. It's ridiculous. I may have to pay taxes, but I won't smile and be happy about it like some mindless sheep.

Background checks prove jack squat about the integrity of someone. It's even more absurd not to hire someone over credit. I don't have great credit, but it's never kept me from getting a job. But to think there are those out there who say they won't hire someone becuase of bad credit, just goes to show how brainwashed some people are.
For proof, just look at the Arizona cop who pulled a gun on a store clerk. Cops go through extensive background checks. Yet we hear stories like this frequently.
It's sucks that people who have been convicted of crimes are automatically denied employment. Yet people wonder why they go back to crime. How can they turn their life around after they have served their time if they can't work? Ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 871 times
I am 24 and have a violent felony. Ass. To robbery and false imprisonment. I took the rap for an x boyfriend. Yes I was young and stupid and had no idea what I was getting myself into.I went to prison at the age of 18 and just got out last year at the age of 23. I am not going to lie it has been really hard for me. I had no idea how this decision I made in my life would mess it up forever. I almost committed suicide because I couldn't find a job but instead I called out to god for help. After that I got hired at Wendy's. It's not the best job in the world but it's something. I think God for my job but I also don't wanna be working at Wendy's for the rest of my life. I am currently looking for a better job but it's very hard. But I trust God something will come through. I refuse to give up and feel sorry for myself. I made a mistake, paid my dues and change my life. I will not give up hope.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
That so bull**** that a company won't hire a violent felon. I just punched someone ONCE because I was paranoid and being followed around and harassed. I still have gotten good jobs at good companies that didn't check if you had a felony. But one company, Schlumberger - I had to lie that I didn't have one and the recruiter for me lied too. So sometimes you just gotta lie... Because companies too unfairly discriminate against felons.

There are even online websites for felons to get a job but they are useless as I think companies just use them to blacklist felon applicants and never hire from there... So I don't even touch these job listings.

I go nationwide for job hunts, but right now I just focused on a job in Houston then in Chicago only after I moved. I'm gonna write my IL Gov for a Pardon of my felony and get my Psychiatrist and Priest to pitch in for me...

In some places, like Houston - a felon can't even get a good Apt because almost all Apt complexes do background checks

In Portland, almost all of the poor and almost all of the felons are concentrating on the outer east side while the rest of the city gentrifies, because that's the only place landlords will accept them. You can literally watch the creation of a ghetto.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:13 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
As a society, we seem to prohibit criminal rehabilitation.

With the labor market the way it is, employers can be more selective. No matter how truly rehabilitated someone is or is not, criminality is probably the easiest factor to disqualify them on.

Landlords also prohibit felons in many cases. The ones that don't are often in high crime areas or have other factors that could lead to recidivism.

IMO, if you serve your time, you should get a clean slate to rebuild your life upon release. Society discourages that and makes a permanent underclass of repeat criminals.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times
If a person serves his time and changes his life around, the felony should be taken off his record. If it isn't, they might as well just keep him in prison because he won't have much of a life outside of it.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:14 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
I know there are quite a few felons working as roughnecks. It's hard ass work, pays well, and is incredibly dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment