Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If my employer hired a guy that had committed a violent crime in the past, and then I became a victim of additional violence because he snapped one day because he didn't like the fact that my stapler was red and his was black, you bet your butt I'd sue both him and the employer who failed to take a reasonable stadard of care in the hiring process.
I've read, over the years, of incidences of workplace violence, someone fired who came back and went on a shooting spree in the workplace. And how many of these were first-time offenders?

Who would you sue then?

Anyone can potentially snap in a workplace setting today! Criminal record or no criminal record!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,728 times
There's no hope. Most just walk around on the streets all day.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
There's no hope. Most just walk around on the streets all day.
They usually can find jobs at places like

Sunoco
Rite Aid
Meat Factories

But I'm not sure if they get those jobs from just walking in or being referred through a social service program.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM

417 posts, read 825,203 times
A study at Harvard, I believed, showed in one southern state that it was easier for White Felons to find work than qualified black applicants with no criminal record. Now, I realize that is just one state, but the point is depending on where you live it seems others still have it worse....

Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
A study at Harvard, I believed, showed in one southern state that it was easier for White Felons to find work than qualified black applicants with no criminal record. Now, I realize that is just one state, but the point is depending on where you live it seems others still have it worse....
Maybe because the white person had a work history and the black person had limited work experience?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM

428 posts, read 900,726 times
Part of it is hard they want to try and how hard they want to "stay clean" Since most jobs require a drug test these days and if there staying away from the ones that do you know why.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM

417 posts, read 825,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Maybe because the white person had a work history and the black person had limited work experience?
That wasn't the case. if I could find the study I'd link it. In any case, my point is I don't feel anymore sorry for Felons decreeing their difficulty in finding a job compared to the average hard-working never been to jail bird.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
That wasn't the case. if I could find the study I'd link it. In any case, my point is I don't feel anymore sorry for Felons decreeing their difficulty in finding a job compared to the average hard-working never been to jail bird.
I agree especially since they have to programs for ex-offenders to help them find jobs. Is there a such thing as a program for people who never been to jail and have a degree?-lol

Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I agree especially since they have to programs for ex-offenders to help them find jobs. Is there a such thing as a program for people who never been to jail and have a degree?-lol
It's like my husband says, no one helps the regular guy just trying to get ahead.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
It's like my husband says, no one helps the regular guy just trying to get ahead.
Not challenging enough I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment