Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,739 times

Advertisements

For the most part, when someone has a felony and they are seeking work, their best bet is to start with a small company. Over the decades, our society has gotten so litigious and bureaucratic, that many large employers overreact by shutting out what they deem as disqualified applicants. Doing a background check is easier than ever before. It is simply a filter for many companies to use to whittle down the external applicant pool in these economic times whether the reasons are related to criminal background, having a college degree, being currently unemployed, bad credit, age, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Someone with a criminal background should be referred to a reentry program who places ex-prisoners into jobs. No way will they get a job on their own

Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
For the most part, when someone has a felony and they are seeking work, their best bet is to start with a small company. Over the decades, our society has gotten so litigious and bureaucratic, that many large employers overreact by shutting out what they deem as disqualified applicants. Doing a background check is easier than ever before. It is simply a filter for many companies to use to whittle down the external applicant pool in these economic times whether the reasons are related to criminal background, having a college degree, being currently unemployed, bad credit, age, etc.
Bad credit or criminal record of any type are disqualifing factors these days. Both are almost always checked as part of any pre employment background check.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
And you also have to consider people who are wrongfully accused of a crime. I've seen that before myself and it's a brand that isn't warranted if you ask me. Not that Uncle $am cares anyways.
actually I was one of those wrongfully accused of a crime and am now labeled felon ... lost my military career, my pension and a whole slew of rights I took for granted.
I sadly expect to end up homeless and mistreated for the rest of my life after my mother whom I care for passes away.

And all I did was successfully defend myself when I was attacked physically, won the fight but lost in court. just wait until the day you have to defend yourself from a home invader or a thief.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,125 times
Most Employers don't know that Felons the majority in Some states are bonded by that state as an incentive to employers to hire for tax compensation for that individual Felon. The Employer receives an x amount of money at the end of the year to hire an Ex -offender. They are insurance that whatever could happen , vandalism, stealing, ect it's covered. So the Employer gets paid for acquiring a felon as an Employee.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csham29 View Post
Most Employers don't know that Felons the majority in Some states are bonded by that state as an incentive to employers to hire for tax compensation for that individual Felon. The Employer receives an x amount of money at the end of the year to hire an Ex -offender. They are insurance that whatever could happen , vandalism, stealing, ect it's covered. So the Employer gets paid for acquiring a felon as an Employee.
No amount of bond is going to "fix" a victim of rape or assault

Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
You should take extra care when hiring a felon but having a no hire policy against them is ignorant. These people paid their debt to society and deserve a second chance. They need to earn a living and pursue a career just as much as the rest of us

Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The felons I know (2, to be exact) have jobs working at wineries under the table. In fact, the both of them make about 3000 a month each and they don't have to pay taxes.

yes, I have reported them.
Thats reallg messed up. They are trying to make a living and you reported them? Whats wrong with you?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Punching a person out is NOT a mishap. Take responsibility for the fact that you punched an innocent person. End of story. YOU DID IT. Do you really think that guy deserved to get punched out?

If I saw someone beating up my kid? If you saw my 23 year old black belt son, you wouldn't ask that, because he'd be quite able to defend himself.

And an adult should act like a damn adult and not punch a kid.
your "23 yr old" son is not a kid....and im sorry if a kid was to punch me and mean i would defemd myself...take that for what its worth.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In states that lack effective Romeo and Juliet laws, it very well could matter if the rape was statutory between a consentual 17 and 18 year old. That was my train of thought.
No, no romeo and juliet laws. Teens shouldnt be having sex anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment