Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm a US Citizen; I need to renew my Passport or is it a Visa / mom will tell me...

Yeah, I could've been deported if I wasn't a citizen... After living in Houston with it's EXTREME Discrimination of felons [can't get a good APT] I'm putting off a Nationwide jobhunt for awhile, as the jobs and opportunities in Chicago kinda stink now. Not all the best jobs and companies are in Chicago anyway.

But I'm living comfortably rent free + $806 monthly SSDI + $806 every 2 weeks on 2nd unemployment extension benefits.

Blah. Blah. We get tired of this bragging.

And frankly, why should law-abiding citizens in a good (probably more expensive as well) apartment have to live with criminals???? I know I don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 4,190 times
don't worry the USA is slowly becoming a zero tolerance country. soon there will be debtors prisons, interment camps for the mentally sick, and anyone seen as deviant. and heck just look at the growing police state we are in ... were police get to beat a homeless mentally ill man to death.
make one step out of line and find yourself on the wrong side of the law for the rest of your life.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 PM

97 posts, read 265,736 times
Reflect back on history; the founding of this country was based on survival of the rich and 1%

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
Reflect back on history; the founding of this country was based on survival of the rich and 1%

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
well those rights are slowly being taken away

Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasimodoJoe View Post
don't worry the USA is slowly becoming a zero tolerance country. soon there will be debtors prisons, interment camps for the mentally sick, and anyone seen as deviant. and heck just look at the growing police state we are in ... were police get to beat a homeless mentally ill man to death.
make one step out of line and find yourself on the wrong side of the law for the rest of your life.
And you also have to consider people who are wrongfully accused of a crime. I've seen that before myself and it's a brand that isn't warranted if you ask me. Not that Uncle $am cares anyways.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 AM

37 posts, read 71,718 times
Who would be interested in hiring felons? I certainly wouldn't want to work with any, especially if they're convicted of a sex crime.

I pity those who have served time and due to stupid decisions their lives are forever ruined, but I have a hard time being sympathetic. They're the ones that screwed up and now they're untrustworthy and unemployable. That's what you get for choosing to make those mistakes.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybryant87 View Post
They're the ones that screwed up and now they're untrustworthy and unemployable. That's what you get for choosing to make those mistakes.
So every crime should carry a sentence of life, or death?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I agree especially since they have to programs for ex-offenders to help them find jobs. Is there a such thing as a program for people who never been to jail and have a degree?-lol
Ex Offenders should get help because felons are discriminated in jobs and Apts a lot. If they didn't get help they'd be back in the streets committing crime or back in jail, which would cost MORE tax payer money. There are charitable organization that help regular non criminal people get jobs, - like "Jewish Vocational Center" in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
A study at Harvard, I believed, showed in one southern state that it was easier for White Felons to find work than qualified black applicants with no criminal record. Now, I realize that is just one state, but the point is depending on where you live it seems others still have it worse....
Yeah, it's a White Man's working world; that's why many of them are CEO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Blah. Blah. We get tired of this bragging.

And frankly, why should law-abiding citizens in a good (probably more expensive as well) apartment have to live with criminals???? I know I don't want to.
There are many felons who are ok people. Like Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton are probably FELONS for possessing drugs [and shoplifting]? Children in Texas can becomes felons for spraying graffiti. Running off on not paying gas can be a felony. Some felonies are not worth being denied a good apt or job for, and they should be pardoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybryant87 View Post
Who would be interested in hiring felons? I certainly wouldn't want to work with any, especially if they're convicted of a sex crime.

I pity those who have served time and due to stupid decisions their lives are forever ruined, but I have a hard time being sympathetic. They're the ones that screwed up and now they're untrustworthy and unemployable. That's what you get for choosing to make those mistakes.
Yeah, it's very tough luck for a rapist, murderer, or child molester - some of the worst felons. But some other felons are not so serious so they should be given a chance for a good job or Apt. Or else society would suffer from people who have no choice but to be criminal or on welfare to earn a living.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,498,237 times
It used to be decades ago no employers did background checks.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
This is interesting. A guy we contracted with hires ONLY felons...why? He gets a tax break, and free bonding for all employees. They work cheap, show up to work, cause he can call their PO if they blow off work. He is pretty happy with the work they do...prep work for catering, and set up, take downs of conference materials. They also do ushering on an as needed basis for large conferences.

No kids...he even hires sex offenders. They don't handle cash or any confidential information...liquor and bar set up is done by the offenders...but not the bartending.

So...there are companies willing to give ex offenders a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment