Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 52,071 times

Advertisements

So I was fired a few months ago, but technically I resigned. They asked me to. Obviously, I lied on subsequent job interviews and told them I resigned because of other reasons (did not like the nature of the work, etc) because telling them I was asked to resign makes me damaged goods. I have pretty much nailed down another job, however, and they are definitely going to contact my old employer as a standard inquiry. I am wondering whether to email my old boss and/or HR and briefly inform them of the situation and encourage them to say that I resigned (rather than was asked to resign) and generally not say anything negative. I'd rather not interact with them at all but I do not want them to inadvertently mess this up for me.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I would not contact them. The fact that they let you resign without officially firing you is reason enough to think they won't go out of their way to be negative.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:19 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
I would ask myself if my former employer, who fired me, would be willing to give a positive recommendation.

Worst case scenario is they respond that you were terminated for cause. That stops the next question of whether you are eligible for rehire.

Best case is that they just confirm your employment dates and possibly duties.

I don't think they would take kindly to a request to not screw things up for you due to the nature of your leaving.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 AM

405 posts, read 573,706 times
Curious why do employers ask you to resign vs. firing. I always thought it was to avoid paying unemployment. I wouldn't call them, you did resign.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 AM

324 posts, read 427,752 times
Since they agreed to let you go under the guise of resignation, this means it was an amicable separation and they'll honor that agreement.

HR isn't going to reveal you were fired, they'll simply give dates of employment, salary and title. Most companies these days, even if you were the best employee ever, will only give that limited information due to potential law suits. Employers are aware of this and know it's tough to get an actual "reference" so you should be fine.

Congrats on the new job!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I don't think they would take kindly to a request to not screw things up for you due to the nature of your leaving.
Well, I would phrase it more tactfully than that. Also, it would give them a heads up so they are prepared, rather than just getting a call out of the blue and blurting out something that might damage me. Another thing to consider: I applied for unemployment, and at first I was declined because after investigation, unemployment was informed by my old employer that I was "asked to resign". As a result, I contacted my old HR and told them that I would prefer it if they just said I resigned, rather than was asked to resign, and they responded approvingly. So I have already spoken with HR about this, but not my old boss.

Do employers usually contact HR or your supervisor/boss, or both?

Another note - my boss, while he was dismissing me, told me that he would give me a positive recommendation, "but obviously within reason, as your experience here was not perfect" were his exact words.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 AM

324 posts, read 427,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
Curious why do employers ask you to resign vs. firing. I always thought it was to avoid paying unemployment. I wouldn't call them, you did resign.
Actually, even when an employee agrees to resign, the company will still say terminated to the EDD. The separation agreement will usually have a clause that they won't contest unemployment. They do this for the benefit of the employee so they can receive unemployment while seeking new employment, and allow the employee to be able to say they resigned to future employers.

This is the case for employees that are simply not working out, not for someone who has done something illegal like harassment, theft, etc.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by introspectguy View Post
Actually, even when an employee agrees to resign, the company will still say terminated to the EDD

Wait, that sounds like it would sink me. Terminated? Sounds like I need to email them after all...

Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Just have someone call them and ask questions as though they're a company considering hiring you.

Don't contact them, you'll probably only irritate them.

And per your title - no, you don't get to tell your former employer what they should be saying about you.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
I wouldn't even worry about it.

Back when we didn't have any formal "reference" policy, my boss' policy was, just tell the person that so-and-so worked here, and highly recommend them!

"See, 43north, you never, ever give a bad recommendation to anyone. There's just nothing good that can ever come of it. What, do you have some obligation to help out some other company? Screw them. Would you go to their company to help them program a new piece of software just because they asked nicely? No, you wouldn't. Would you take responsibility for their company screwing something up? NO! So you just tell them that the person did a great job and you would hire them again. What's going to happen? Seriously, you tell me. What exactly is going to happen if you recommend someone and they don't work out for some other outfit? Are they going to call you and get mad? What are they going to do then, come over and get in your face?"

Then, in his ever-so-eloquent manner, I remember him clearly elaborating with one of his hilarious, imaginary discussions he would have out loud, as if he was having a conversation with someone else:

"Let me get this straight. You called me to tell me that you hired my old employee, who I recommended, and now you're complaining that he ****ed up at YOUR place, with YOU managing him, and where I have no control over anything? Do you even realize what you're saying? You're calling to blame ME for something that is YOUR problem? #$%^ you."

He laughed at his own discussion, as he often would after these little anecdotes were completed.

"Think about it. You're at fault for some random person screwing up at some other company when you aren't around? Maybe their problem is that they didn't hire YOU so they wouldn't have had this problem in the first place."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment