Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,812,168 times

Advertisements

I started here at my current job about 1yr and 3 months ago. It was an internal move and the whole interview and offer thing was very non-traditional and confusing. Apparently, my director is a complete buffoon with those types of things. She never offered me the position, it was all very indirect. That’s her MO in many things but that’s another story alltogether.

Anyway, I was finally able to back HR into a corner and admit (yes, that’s the right word) that the reason we were talking $ (HR and I that is) was indicative of an offer but it was all still hazy and unclear. Anyway, the bottom line is that I am absolutely sure that I left money on the table. It’s still a very good salary and was 27% more than I was making. But there are others in comparable positions internally that are making more. Externally, people in comparable positions are making less, a good deal less.

Recently, there have been many cuts to the budget. Entire departments were eliminated, supplies and other costs were cut, there were many who’s hours were cut and they went to 4 days/wk. One person in our dept lost a day. So far, next year doesn’t look better. I’ve been pretty pained about leaving $ on the table so I guess am trying to find a way to feel better and so my thought is that maybe, just maybe the lower $ offers some security. Like if the head cheese is looking at line item salary info, my head is less likely to be on the table. Only thing is that I think my position is more insulated than others so my guess is that it’s unlikely but I’m trying.

The general thought and question however is – can there be job security in accepting a lesser salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,565,702 times
I don't think so. There will always be someone will to do the job for less than you and the bosses may determine they'd rather save a few bucks. Sure it can't hurt but I don't really think it helps either.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,741,106 times
I've seen it happen in a few merger situations where the company acquiring the other will come in and really look at the situations where is there really a need for the same amount of people to be doing the same type of roles.... and the first to be laid off are usually the highest paying. I've seen it happen to our IT folks and some EA's and a department that had more than one manager.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,582,704 times
I don't think accepting a lesser salary will have any impact on job security. The company can announce they discontinue your current position, and there goes your unemployment when you are not able to get into any other position in the company. So, don't rely on private organization with job security unless you have a very good reason to say so, like a contract with the company.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
There's no job security in any scenario. If they decided to cut people they may look at who has the most experience, or who seems to be the most productive. Being paid less doesn't necessarily put you in a safer position.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,777,467 times
Overall, I would say no to your question. Could it happen and you keep your job? - yes. When layoffs do happen the people making the higher salaries are often cut more often than those who do not in similar positions. Sometimes it is not that clear at all after the dust settles and you see who is gone. If the company is making lots of cuts, I would go elsewhere. Your company just does not sound like it is doing well, and it is probably a good idea to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment