Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times

Advertisements

It's your fingerprints, what kind of security risk you anticipate? this makes no sense. The card probably stuck to another file and is in another file in their office. As for your background check, again no worries unless you find you have been the victim of identity theft. In that case they will have to help you by paying for assistance for you.

I get what you are saying about their business being security and the irony of this but, it's life, it happens. If this is the only challenge in your life at this moment that is upsetting you, count your blessings. And, stop being so hard to get along with. You seem unforgiving and rigid. Do you really want to lose a job over this? How will you explain this at your next interview. If I interviewed you and you shared this, I wouldn't want to take a risk on you for fear you would be hard to get along with, too rigid and not a team player. I don't mean to come across as insulting but I am stating my observations.

I hope you will rethink your stance and use some professional/emotional maturity and give them what they need and stay for a while to smooth things over whilst you job search and go out on good terms. And apologize to them for digging your heels in. Tell them it came from a place of fear regarding your info and fear of identity theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
Chances are it got accidentally shredded. There is ZERO chance that somehow this ended up in someones hands to where it could post a risk to you.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Quite a moral and security concern.
I think the moral issue is that the OP is lacking morals.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Ever hear the phrase "Win the battle, lose the war ?" That is what is going to happen to you. Don't be an idiot, give them what they need (you did it willingly one time already) and get over it.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy !

Don

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
lol sounds like they are trying to help you.

id look into that other opportunity they presented.

is there a specific reason you assume their intentions are negative?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:52 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ever hear the phrase "Win the battle, lose the war ?" That is what is going to happen to you. Don't be an idiot, give them what they need (you did it willingly one time already) and get over it.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy !

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
lol sounds like they are trying to help you.

id look into that other opportunity they presented.

is there a specific reason you assume their intentions are negative?
This explains why he will not just "accept" their help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinsano View Post
I really just want out with unemployment benefits while I look for a better job, but they are trying to avoid that by forcing me into a corner and asking me to decide or resign. BTW they made the mistake of losing them why and I the one who should be punished. IDK

Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
There are some jobs, that require checks like this FBI fingerprint form on file, to allow the employee to handle certain documents. The employer is required by privacy laws, or insurance company to have these on file. No form on file, they cannot perform their duties, even if it is only 2% of their duties.

I once was in a position, I had to have a FBI ran top secret clearance, as I had to handle certain invoices on an irregular basis. I got a call from my parents wanting to know what I had done that was so bad that there were 2 FBI agents going around town talking to everyone from my past. It was for the Top Secret Clearance. I was in the navy at the time, working as Air Terminal Chief, in charge of all passengers and cargo that went through a large and very active Naval Air Transport Squadron. I and the squadron commander were the only 2 people with a Top Secret Clearance in the whole squadron. Even though it is over 60 years later, I cannot reveal what we were shipping at certain times. I had to personally check the permanent ID number stamped into the heavy wood boxes against the invoice, on every box before it could be loaded. I had to make sure the entire shipment was there, and it took usually 2 large transport planes to hold it all.

I know from experience, that things like this are often necessary. What the OP is being asked to provide, is such a small thing as what other people have to be cleared for.

He has been given three choices. 1: Get a new fingerprint check. 2: Take a lesser job. 3: Quit. That is the only choices the company can give him/her under the circumstances. The continued employment at that job, requires it. In my opinion he/she is being very foolish, not to go along with a new check. Truth may be, they have the old fingerprint card, but something has come up that makes the employer want an updated check. They may be saying they lost the card and need a new one, to keep from telling the employee they need a new check on them for one reason or another. This is also often done, when there are secure files, etc., that are involved.

My Question Is: Why is the OP not wanting to get a new check done, are they feeling there is something that could cause them to lose the job, etc.?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinsano View Post
Ok well thank you for all the advice. It's good to get a different perspective on the situation. Seems to me like I'm getting shafted some but that is just life sometimes.
I'm siding with the OP here.

This isn't a simple background check. These things take months and are very invasive.

His employer, who required him to have this information LOST all of it. His identity would be gone in a second and it would screw his credit for years.

To the OP, hire one of those watchdog companies like LifeLock to stalk your credit report and hire an employment lawyer.

Your employer is at fault here and should be the one bending over backwards to get this straightened out, not you.

Whatever you do, do not resign.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I simply do not believe that a company requiring an FBI fingerprint check would be willing to accept copies from the person being checked. There is no value in the file once it has been in your hands. You could put anything you want in there.
I agree. That sounds fishy.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
There's something else going on here. If the job is worth having, just give them the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment