Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
4 years of college work then why don't you go back and finish your degree?
Theres plenty of people with jobs like that but they applied for jobs and got lucky, knew someone, or just cheated their way or have degrees or experience
Like me Im in IT and work as a IT Field Service Technician
9-5 hours mon -fri
Makin decent money more than 20 actually
But Im pretty decent with my skills and just applied for the job and got it
You gotta know your career goals in life
I do and actually finished my degree

Apply for new jobs
Finish your degree
Talk to people do your research
The OP admitted having a bad personality. Let's see how he elaborates on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 PM

140 posts, read 223,526 times
When you say, "4 years of college work in economics' does that mean you got a BA/BS? If so why aren't you working in a career which uses that? If you don't have a degree that's one of your problems. Having course work unless it's specifically IT related won't get you anywhere you need a degree to be a great candidate on paper.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 18,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
What are you good at? What jobs can you see yourself tolerating that pay better than what you do and what do you need to get there?
I'd want a job that pays at least $25 an hour. Can't find that here. I'd like to go for the computer or skilled trades but those jobs are hard to get into at the moment. You basically need inside contacts which I don't have. I trained to be a truck driver but the lifestyle was terrible.

Pretty much I feel like a total loser. My co-workers are lower income folk(blue collar). I'm not trying to be a snob but that's just how it is. I just feel a little awkward at times. I'm okay with being a blue collar worker but it needs to pay decently.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

HS diploma $651, some college, no degree $727. Given the OP is young, he is probably around the median for his level of education at an early stage of working life.

Bachelor's degree comes in 10.8% above his desired $25/hour.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm915 View Post
I'd like to go for the computer or skilled trades but those jobs are hard to get into at the moment. You basically need inside contacts which I don't have.
Computer jobs are hard to get into? Unless you live in the woods, I find that hard to believe.

Oh wait, you can actually just sit at home and remotely work for a computer company. So even living in the woods is not a valid excuse.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Network with people, and be good at doing something. Just knowing people can be enough but knowing people and being good at something is the way to get ahead.

And it takes time, effort, and luck.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Pretty much I feel like a total loser.
You have way too much personal baggage to make it in any semi or professional work environment. Some times you just have to accept that being a ditch digger is what your lot in life will be. Instead of wildly dreaming about what you can't achieve, accept these lower standards as what was meant to be. There are many happy and life fulfilled porta pottie attendants.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:00 AM

765 posts, read 986,925 times
The OP needs to stay positive regardless of what career he chooses
If you do OP it will get better.
But this is something you have to chase on your own and pursue nobody else will apply for the jobs you want
If you like computers get into IT
Thats blue collar
Get like an IT Help desk or Desktop Support job
Or something like admin assistant.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:37 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Quote:
I'd want a job that pays at least $25 an hour. Can't find that here. I'd like to go for the computer or skilled trades but those jobs are hard to get into at the moment. You basically need inside contacts which I don't have. I trained to be a truck driver but the lifestyle was terrible.

Pretty much I feel like a total loser. My co-workers are lower income folk(blue collar). I'm not trying to be a snob but that's just how it is. I just feel a little awkward at times. I'm okay with being a blue collar worker but it needs to pay decently.
YOU ARE SO UNREALISTIC
No one is going pay you that
You need to finish school.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The OP is basically trying to find a job he qualifies for. There are many in demand jobs that are searching for the right people with the right attributes. Problem is in America there are too many jobs that people can't qualify for because there aren't any training programs that targets those niche roles.

There are way too many schools that shills fake degrees and you can't find a job because those degrees are worthless in the real world.

Right now my company is hiring for a mobile app developer and unfortunately it is not taught in college and only from special training classes that cost real money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment