Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 PM

254 posts, read 458,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
So actually there are lots of very good jobs in America. I work for a large electronics company. We need test and design engineers. That requires at least a masters degree in electrical engineering. To get that, you need to spend about 7 years in college. Unfortunately, we can't find qualified people. BTW, these jobs start at $60K per year and go over $100K after 5-6 years.
Except $60k for someone with a MSEE is actually pretty low. You probably can't find qualified people because they are all accepting jobs making $10-20k more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:31 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Ok, I think I got it.

Start a business

Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Grunt factory work was largely automated or outsourced. There is some specialty manufacturing jobs left which require an advanced education. But the age of "turn a bolt bob" making a middle class wage is long over.

Your right, the "average Joe" wont be living middle class anymore, he will be asking you if you would like fries with your burger. It is possible for someone to do well today, but only if they are very ambitious and well educated. A college degree is nearly worthless if it is not very specific to an in demand field. Our middle class "average joe " jobs were offshored a long time ago.

What then happens to our "average Joes"? Most of them will be underemployed and live in their mothers basements. Eventually as the well paid boomers retire and more and more young people find themselves turning burgers or working in underemployed situations we will see our economy shrink very quickly. Ten dollar an hour workers don't pay enough taxes to support this nations bills, and ten dollar an hour workers will not buy 30k Toyotas and Fords to support what is left of our manufacturing sector. They will not buy 225k houses or much of anything else. The end game of offshoring and the death of our middle class is total economic collapse. Our massive national debt will also help bring this collapse about. In the end the well educated, ambitious and connected will go down with everyone else when it collapses, and our nation will cease to be a first world nation. What happens then could be the plot of a late night B movie. Two hundred forty years of advancement as a nation could come crashing down in a short few years or even months. When it settles out this nation will be a shadow of its former self

Old 03-16-2015, 02:18 AM

518 posts, read 872,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your right, the "average Joe" wont be living middle class anymore, he will be asking you if you would like fries with your burger. It is possible for someone to do well today, but only if they are very ambitious and well educated. A college degree is nearly worthless if it is not very specific to an in demand field. Our middle class "average joe " jobs were offshored a long time ago.

What then happens to our "average Joes"? Most of them will be underemployed and live in their mothers basements. Eventually as the well paid boomers retire and more and more young people find themselves turning burgers or working in underemployed situations we will see our economy shrink very quickly. Ten dollar an hour workers don't pay enough taxes to support this nations bills, and ten dollar an hour workers will not buy 30k Toyotas and Fords to support what is left of our manufacturing sector. They will not buy 225k houses or much of anything else. The end game of offshoring and the death of our middle class is total economic collapse. Our massive national debt will also help bring this collapse about. In the end the well educated, ambitious and connected will go down with everyone else when it collapses, and our nation will cease to be a first world nation. What happens then could be the plot of a late night B movie. Two hundred forty years of advancement as a nation could come crashing down in a short few years or even months. When it settles out this nation will be a shadow of its former self
Very doom and gloom post of yours. I don't see the USA losing its first world status anytime soon. But it really does make me wonder what this country will look like within even just the next 5-10 years. What about 20 years? Our population keeps growing and we're churning out thousands of college grads each year. More off-shoring, more advanced technology eliminating jobs. This equates to more and more desperation amongst the populace which creates more and more societal problems. Then nationally we move from crisis to crisis and as you mentioned the national debt.

Just really extremely curious what the future holds for the USA and how things unfold. Exciting! At least for those of us who will be around to see it.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Just out of curiosity -- where do you live in Ohio?

I grew up there (Akron) and loved it, but I thought the whole state and the entire Rust Belt has in a deep depression for many years. I was under the impression that almost no one has a job, or at least not one that paid more than about $10.00 an hour. Am I wrong?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Computer jobs are hard to get into? Unless you live in the woods, I find that hard to believe.

Oh wait, you can actually just sit at home and remotely work for a computer company. So even living in the woods is not a valid excuse.
Have you been in Ohio? He has no bankable skills or education in "computers". What course of study in computers would you suggest the OP follows to get a 'remote job' that pays at least $25 per hour, guaranteed? How long will this education take and how much will it cost?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If a company is desperate, they will train. It does not make economic sense for a company to train a mobile application developer who comes in with zero skills.
If a company can train mobile application developers, then they aren't desperate, they already have capable staff.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
So actually there are lots of very good jobs in America. I work for a large electronics company. We need test and design engineers. That requires at least a masters degree in electrical engineering. To get that, you need to spend about 7 years in college. Unfortunately, we can't find qualified people. BTW, these jobs start at $60K per year and go over $100K after 5-6 years.
Actually a starting wage of $60K per year for an electrical engineer with a minimum masters degree is quite low. A wage of $60K is at the 25th percentile for Electrical Engineer I, which requires only a Bachelors Degree. Perhaps that is why you are having trouble finding qualified people.

Reference: salary.com

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There are good jobs, just not enough and all/most of them are occupied. (A lot of them by the old coots that won't retire). They know they got it easy so they are sucking the well dry as long as possible.

Our big boss could have retired a few years ago but is in love with the ego trip and great money, with all the perks in the world, just to MILK IT!!! Whats even worse is he getting more and more senile.. Definitely not in frame of mind to be handling the responsibilities of running an entire division and a lot of his skills are totally out of date. Hell, we do all his damn work basically and were getting a FRACTION of his salary? Wheres the justification in that?? Anyone??

Until you force a lot of these boomers out of their comfy, cushy OVERPAID positions (To milk it and sit on their rear ends day after day year after year without bring anything of value to the table anymore) no "good jobs" are going to be created.

... Because all thats being created are the service level crappy pay jobs that pay chicken feed. .. Or jobs that could be of quality but the employers found that they can underpay these positions.

Of course, not to generalize them all. MANY do bring tremendous value to their respective companies and I have no problem with them. .. But they are few and far between. I see more just milking all that added ridiculous income and all those perks on the company dime, who are bringing VERY little to the table. . Those people, I have serious problems with.
Lol, obviously you have no understanding of the purpose of upper management. What makes you think their job is to do the grunt work? Their job is to make sure that the right people are in position to perform the actual work. The CEO of Boeing doesn't have to be able to design jet engines or weld an airframe. That's what he has employees for.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I have a bad personality and can't find any good jobs.
You have answered what your problem is.

If you bad personality shows up at an interview, of course you cannot find a good job. 4 years of college and no degree, is the #2 reason you can't find a job that is higher paying, as 4 years of college mean nothing till you have a degree, means same as high school diploma to the HM.

I have hired many hundreds of people for white collar positions back in my corporate days, and a bad personality never got hired.

You need to consider this a problem and work on it, or forget the good jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment