Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which profession has a higher prestige in the eyes of the public
CPA 36 61.02%
Programmer 23 38.98%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Computer Science is not a liberal arts major. It's a STEM major and is accepted by companies who hire entry level computer programmers. Classes like Data Structures are important for software engineers and applicants are usually questioned on their knowledge of Data Structures(Linked Lists, Recursion, Binary Trees, ADTs, etc)

Liberal arts majors don't take 2-3 semesters of Calculus and 2 semester of Physics along with Discrete Mathematics. It's a rigorous major. The upper level CS classes are no jokes either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Cpa.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Computer Science is not a liberal arts major. It's a STEM major and is accepted by companies who hire entry level computer programmers. Classes like Data Structures are important for software engineers and applicants are usually questioned on their knowledge of Data Structures(Linked Lists, Recursion, Binary Trees, ADTs, etc)
Computer science is a science degree. Hence, it's a liberal art.

I have a computer science degree, btw.
Quote:

Liberal arts majors don't take 2-3 semesters of Calculus and 2 semester of Physics along with Discrete Mathematics. It's a rigorous major. The upper level CS classes are no jokes either.

You do realize that math majors require 2-3 semesters of calculus and discrete math, right? Math is a liberal art. You do realize that Physics majors require more than 2 semesters, right? Physics is a liberal art. No one said that liberal arts programs are easy.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:04 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Computer science is a science degree. Hence, it's a liberal art.

I have a computer science degree, btw.

You do realize that math majors require 2-3 semesters of calculus and discrete math, right? Math is a liberal art. You do realize that Physics majors require more than 2 semesters, right? Physics is a liberal art. No one said that liberal arts programs are easy.
Can confirm. I have a BS, MS, and PhD in Physics (a hard science, so a liberal art). I had to take several maths, including calculus along with several (way more than 2) physics courses for my liberal arts degrees (along with some unrelated degrees).

Old 03-30-2015, 11:05 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Computer Science is not a liberal arts major. It's a STEM major...
Many of the STEM majors are liberal arts majors. Maths? Sciences? Technology has some liberal arts. Engineering is the only one that stands out not being a liberal art.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Computer Science is not a liberal arts major. It's a STEM major and is accepted by companies who hire entry level computer programmers.
A lot of computer science graduates downgrade to become computer programmers. Companies like this because they get someone with a computer science degree for the same price as someone without the degree. However, a computer science degree really shines when you go into computer science.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:06 AM

62 posts, read 80,021 times
poll added

Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 AM

748 posts, read 820,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I see where the confusion is. A computer programmer, software developer and software engineer are not the same. A software developer is a computer programmer, but not all computer programmers are software developers. Software engineers don't program or develop, so it's strange to equate them to the other two.
I don't really get the distinction. Alot of coders say there're "software developers" or "software engineers" because it sounds better than "coders". And I think there's some truth in it. Anyone who touches code with any modicum of success must have some engineering / software development skills. Even if they're not academically learned. Granted, their degree of skills will be highly variable, but that's true with academics as well.

Am I wrong?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I would say the general public doesn't care or spend any time thinking about it.
This ^^^^^^

Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
As an PCPA "Practically a CPA" I said programmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment