Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times

Advertisements

It'd be better to beg for an interview, not that that would be the way to go either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Sometimes "sophisticated begging" works well which is staying in contact through email as a follow to express your interest.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Sometimes "sophisticated begging" works well which is staying in contact through email as a follow to express your interest.
Yeah staying in contact. I'm guessing that's only if you've had an actual interview..not to check up on the status of your application. But the problem with email is they can easily ignore it.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:39 PM

185 posts, read 184,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks we'll wake up tomorrow and find out this was all an April Fool's joke, done early?

Hmmm, now that I think about it, that's possible, lol! Okay, the OP should dress up as the company's mascot, if they have one, and parade around someplace public, like a flash mob. Maybe it will go viral? Is that desperate, or creative double promotion marketing?

If they don't have a mascot? Pitch yourself as this company's brand new marketing director.

Don't forget to bring your quantitative data to the table. They want to know that they're getting more value from you, than you cost them. Everything's about cost vs revenue.

If they say no? Score whatever insider/proprietary knowledge you can get about them, and head to their competitors.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I recently heard a story about a job applicant who called up the boss of the hiring manager after business hours, to inform her that she really needed to hire him. When it became clear that he wasn't getting anywhere with that approach, he changed his tack and started demanding to know why in the world she wouldn't hire him.

No only did she not hire him, she told the employer's HR department about the aggressive tone of the conversation, in case he decided to escalate his demand for a job any higher up the chain. I wouldn't be surprised if begging resulted in a similar response. Most bosses really don't dig unconventional approaches.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I recently heard a story about a job applicant who called up the boss of the hiring manager after business hours, to inform her that she really needed to hire him. When it became clear that he wasn't getting anywhere with that approach, he changed his tack and started demanding to know why in the world she wouldn't hire him.

No only did she not hire him, she told the employer's HR department about the aggressive tone of the conversation, in case he decided to escalate his demand for a job any higher up the chain. I wouldn't be surprised if begging resulted in a similar response. Most bosses really don't dig unconventional approaches.
Oh damn, that's crazy.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM

96 posts, read 85,245 times
The OP could stage a scene where he saves a little girl's life in front of the hiring manager.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
It'd be better to beg for an interview, not that that would be the way to go either.
Beg for an interview, and you are guaranteeing you will not get an interview.

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah staying in contact. I'm guessing that's only if you've had an actual interview..not to check up on the status of your application. But the problem with email is they can easily ignore it.
Again as pointed out above, a lot of email, and so called sophisticated begging, and your application goes into the circular file (wastebasket). Trying to force a decision by sounding real interested and acting like you are going to get an answer right away, and keep asking for your status is a huge turnoff for HR and HM.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
I can understand being desperate for work/job but begging in that sence is not going to look good. You need to be professional and begging wouldnt do it.

I hope you can find something, really start throwing applications out there.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Beg for an interview, and you are guaranteeing you will not get an interview.

Again as pointed out above, a lot of email, and so called sophisticated begging, and your application goes into the circular file (wastebasket). Trying to force a decision by sounding real interested and acting like you are going to get an answer right away, and keep asking for your status is a huge turnoff for HR and HM.
Well if I just fill out the application and don't contact them, I wait forever for them to respond and they never do so I can't win that way either. When you don't even get an interview, you need a way to stand out. People will say if you want a job, you need to take action. How is waiting for a reply taking action? It's inaction. If someone is making me feel like a loser, I'm just supposed to sit and wait? By letting them ignore me I am validating that I don't deserve a job. Why even bother putting forth the emotional energy of applying since that's the case? I mean even when I have asked as many places as I could in my city for help on getting a job, they don't really respond either so if they don't respond then why would an employer respond either? With everything else I've done I've had to so to speak get in their face to even get a response...like a gift card I was owed to by a survey company I had to call them AND send them like 5 emails to get them to respond. It worked on them so it should work on an employer.

Last edited by Nickchick; 04-03-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment