Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Yeah everyone who applies need a paycheck but I not only need it for necessities. Tbh right now I don't really need it for that reason actually. My mom pays the bills so I'm not in a dire situation but I do need a job to be happy with myself and it'd be hard to find someone who needs a job for this reason as bad as I do.

I was trying to explain this to the guy at Petco that one time I applied how my desperation for how much I wanted it was a good thing but I know for a fact all he saw was that I was about to cry and I tried my best not to.

I wish employers would see it from my side . . .

Employers can smell this from a mile away. As well as desperation.

They're looking for people in that "middle ground". Kinda need it, but aren't desperate. Sort of like dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
No it comes off as needy and pathetic, and makes you look vulnerable. Employers should show they care about the job, yet they have other options also.

I see it like dating, no matter how into the person you are, do not beg or hint that you are desperate. Never give someone the sense that you need them badly, whether a potential employer or date.

Show what you can give and see what decision they make. Then move from there.

I know it is frustrating but begging is not the way. Some may hire you, but those are tiny minority.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
As someone that hired a lot of people back in my working days, if someone begged for a job, they are through as of that moment.

Reason: You will always feel they are a whiney, begging person, who instead of proving they are the person for the job just goes around begging for the job, and will if hired always be a whiney begging person to try to cover up the problems they face.

The HM will run away, not walk away from you. No one wants that type of employee.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:12 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
This reminds me of an old George Carlin routine where he explains how to really say "please" -- most people just say "please?" in a wimpy, quiet voice. Instead you should say:

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!!!" (drawn out over about 20 seconds)

Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
Do you really think hiring managers who don't know you care about your feelings that much. It's business.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Am I the only one who thinks we'll wake up tomorrow and find out this was all an April Fool's joke, done early?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post
If you read my other post I have having some serious troubles with a boss who tells me that I am a poor performer but won't give me any details on exactly what I am doing wrong. I expect my days are numbered at my current employer.

So I need a new job fast. Not just a job but a career type position that will cover my bills.

I was told that most hiring managers will hire someone if they show they really- really- really want the job. So I should beg and plead for the job and I will be hired? Play to their emotions. Tell them I would really like and respect them if they would hire me. Is that a plan?
Begging would only be worse. I used to pre-screen potential employees to ensure they met the criteria. The ones that did were sent over to the hiring manager. I don't mind people following up, that is understandable but when potential employees were following up every day it was so annoying. One time, I was on vacation and my voice mail message indicated that I was out of the office.... this one person filled up my voice mail. Then he proceeded to call the mail office as well to try to reach me for the status.

Yes, I understand that you need a job, but you also need to respect the hiring manager. Begging can show a lack of respect.

Begging does not show that you really want the job, a good interview and a good and positive attitude is all you need.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM

671 posts, read 890,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post
If you read my other post I have having some serious troubles with a boss who tells me that I am a poor performer but won't give me any details on exactly what I am doing wrong. I expect my days are numbered at my current employer.

So I need a new job fast. Not just a job but a career type position that will cover my bills.

I was told that most hiring managers will hire someone if they show they really- really- really want the job. So I should beg and plead for the job and I will be hired? Play to their emotions. Tell them I would really like and respect them if they would hire me. Is that a plan?
You want to trick them or play them?...Not exactly a quality an employer desires in a new hire. Just be yourself,relax..As for the beg and plead deal,,Whoever told you that? Just remember they know you better than you know them...Personally I'd dismiss you on the spot..Be neat,clean,crisp and attentive while being yourself....That's self assuredness,,,a desirable quality...

Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM

185 posts, read 184,916 times
No no no, you need to prove your worth. What do you bring to this role. What value do you add? That's how to do it.

Last edited by PasDeDeux; 03-31-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 10:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Employers can smell this from a mile away. As well as desperation.

They're looking for people in that "middle ground". Kinda need it, but aren't desperate. Sort of like dating.
Well if I want a job I really want it. Being independent is too important to me to just let go. Neurotypical people **** me off. They don't get it. Middle ground is not in my vocabulary. I've been trying to just go numb. Maybe they'll want me then if I don't really care. Seems like companies hire a lot of people who don't care for their jobs and even then if they don't hire me I won't care so I can't get hurt.

Also I don't date so I wouldn't know what that's like.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-31-2015 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment