Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,587 times

Advertisements

There has to be some sort of privacy law out there that protects employees from having their boss hound them as to why a day off is needed for an outpatient procedure. I'm pretty sure that crosses way over the line to ask that question and I feel it is a violation of MY privacy. If there isn't, then there should be because there is no reason my boss needs to know what I do on my days off or how I spend my days off. I really like to see her fired for this because I'm tired of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
I'm a manager and if I have an employee that is a problem regarding attendance, I require a doctor's note when they are out. If they are taking vacation time, that is fine and I don't care what you do. But if you take sick time, I have a right to know that you are for sure sick.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
There has to be some sort of privacy law out there that protects employees from having their boss hound them as to why a day off is needed for an outpatient procedure. I'm pretty sure that crosses way over the line to ask that question and I feel it is a violation of MY privacy. If there isn't, then there should be because there is no reason my boss needs to know what I do on my days off or how I spend my days off. I really like to see her fired for this because I'm tired of it.

That depends.... Are you using your accrued vacation time? If so, then the employer doesn't need to know. If you are using sick time that the employer provides, then yes they have a right to know. Sick time is basically an approved deviation from your normal work schedule. As with many deviations, proof will be required as to why you are requesting said deviation.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,587 times
My apologies, it is accrued time off which is used for any day off that is needed or doctor's visits.

Convextech, do you have to submit a doctor's note to YOUR boss? I'm ok with it if it goes both ways but if managers don't have to then I think it is outright unfair.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
If you're using PTO that you've earned, I wouldn't even mention why you're taking time off. But if you've already done that and are being hounded, I would just say, "I don't feel comfortable discussing it."

If you're asking for time off that you haven't earned, a doctors note may be required, but the doctor would simply say you're having outpatient procedure without going into the details.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
My apologies, it is accrued time off which is used for any day off that is needed or doctor's visits.

Convextech, do you have to submit a doctor's note to YOUR boss? I'm ok with it if it goes both ways but if managers don't have to then I think it is outright unfair.
I will never understand this 'it's not fair' mentality.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:38 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
then I think it is outright unfair.
Who told you life is fair?
They lied.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
If you're having a procedure that only requires you to use a few vacation/PTO days, then your employer doesn't need to know. HOWEVER, you still need them to approve your time off request, so by providing whatever information you want is good. But if you need WEEKS off to recover, your doctor should provide a note informing your employer that you have a surgery on X date and recovery is X weeks. If you have the vacation/pto to cover that time off, then you're good to go. If not, you should have short term disability.

In my case about 8 years ago, I was forthcoming with my manager. She was female and I had a female problem. It was no big deal. I was off for the six weeks.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:26 PM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a manager and if I have an employee that is a problem regarding attendance, I require a doctor's note when they are out. If they are taking vacation time, that is fine and I don't care what you do. But if you take sick time, I have a right to know that you are for sure sick.

Man I'm glad I'm practically my own boss now, I dont have to answer to anyone about anything besides the quality of my work. Before this though, I dealt with people like you, who thought they were entitled to a reason for everything...I would just lie and tell them what they needed to hear. What someone doesn't know won't hurt them. I never got caught or anything, just kept my mouth shut....

Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
My foreman once asked me why I was taking off.

I told him "It's not of your f*cking business."

My other pet-peeve is "What are you doing this weekend?" Don't ask me what I'm doing, just tell me you want me to work and I'll tell you whether I will or not. Your employer has no right to know what you do when you're not being paid. Tell them to suck it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment