Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:42 AM

33 posts, read 47,236 times

Advertisements

Thanks Greg. I know there are people who understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
You are lucky to be in the position where a job is not a necessity to survive. Your job hunting experience is very common to those of us 50+. Best wishes in your early retirement.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXM2015 View Post
Absolutely and it made feel sick to do it. I did not convey my true feelings about them and the jobs. I'm completely qualified skill wise, experience wise, job longevity wise and reference wise but there's always something they find to crap on you about. I know everyone hates Boomers. Maybe that's it. I'm just done. I really am grateful to all here who offered constructive advice. You are kind people. Thanks to everyone

Can't rep you again but I am standing up (at work) and saluting you!

I wish I could tell my attorneys where to stick their crappy job.

Another thing I thought of why you're finishing second place -- medical insurance.

Every law office I've worked for has paid 100% of my health insurance. But I'm younger than you. I have actually had them come out and ask my age at the interview (I really don't look my age). When I tell them they should know better than to ask that question, they are always quick to say it's just for health insurance purposes.

Enjoy your life!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
I'm a paralegal/legal assistant in a city that supposedly has a very low unemployment rate and lots of jobs.

I have 20+ years of experience (yes, I am in my 50s). It's good experience as well, litigation, IP, corporate, bankruptcy and so forth. Large firm and small.

I have been trying to find a job since the beginning of the year. I have been on 11 interviews. In three of them, I was as much as told that I would be getting the job. In all of those cases, at that last minute, I did not. I was told each time it was a "hard decision" and the interviews were "great" but they were hiring someone else. This is very very hard to take, as I need a job.

I am not weird, or offensive looking, or tattooed, or smelly. I don't act obnoxious in interviews. I wear the stupid suit and try to say all the right things.

I am beyond depressed at this point and am having a hard time even trying again. I had an interview two days ago. I was told by the HR person that she wanted me to get the job. The lawyer I talked to said he'd "get back to me quickly." And now this morning, I'm told they want to continue interviewing. No reason given.

Any advice?
Try the options of seeking employment through a Job Placement Employment Agency, they may be able to get you in the door.
I don't know if you were interviewed by "younger people", but often time, younger people are quickly intimitated by experience and self composed stature.
Carefully select the Job Placement Agency, and ensure you are handled by their Professional Placement group and not the general placement counselors.

Look at the type of company you are applying and what is the culture and what is the overall demeanor of the work group.

It might be another matter to look over what info you present, and what areas you may need to limit it based on the type of firm you are seeking employment. It may be too much info for some and it may make them feel challenged if they have a vast degree of inexperience in these areas.

Best Wishes in you pursuit.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Try the options of seeking employment through a Job Placement Employment Agency, they may be able to get you in the door.
I don't know if you were interviewed by "younger people", but often time, younger people are quickly intimitated by experience and self composed stature.
Carefully select the Job Placement Agency, and ensure you are handled by their Professional Placement group and not the general placement counselors.

Look at the type of company you are applying and what is the culture and what is the overall demeanor of the work group.

It might be another matter to look over what info you present, and what areas you may need to limit it based on the type of firm you are seeking employment. It may be too much info for some and it may make them feel challenged if they have a vast degree of inexperience in these areas.

Best Wishes in you pursuit.

Too late. She retired.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
I'm a paralegal/legal assistant in a city that supposedly has a very low unemployment rate and lots of jobs.

I have 20+ years of experience (yes, I am in my 50s). It's good experience as well, litigation, IP, corporate, bankruptcy and so forth. Large firm and small.

I have been trying to find a job since the beginning of the year. I have been on 11 interviews. In three of them, I was as much as told that I would be getting the job. In all of those cases, at that last minute, I did not. I was told each time it was a "hard decision" and the interviews were "great" but they were hiring someone else. This is very very hard to take, as I need a job.

I am not weird, or offensive looking, or tattooed, or smelly. I don't act obnoxious in interviews. I wear the stupid suit and try to say all the right things.

I am beyond depressed at this point and am having a hard time even trying again. I had an interview two days ago. I was told by the HR person that she wanted me to get the job. The lawyer I talked to said he'd "get back to me quickly." And now this morning, I'm told they want to continue interviewing. No reason given.

Any advice?
I recently retired from being a litigation paralegal in Dallas for over 30 years. At the end, I was in my late 50s and remarkably was able to change jobs (I was looking for a change, but I didn't like it, so ended up retiring).

I had no trouble getting a job. Are you interviewing in Houston? Here are my thoughts:

1. Could there be something wrong in your references? They are calling someone, who doesn't give you a glowing review. People in the legal community know each other. So even if they're not supposed to give a personal recommendation, the HR director of one firm will tell the HR director of another whether you were a good employee, etc.

2. Are your references and experience local? There may be a hesitance if you're from out of town. Although a good work history is just that, and I wouldn't expect that to be a big problem. Still, it's a negative and not a plus.

3. Anything negative in your background check? They run a criminal AND credit check these days.

A lot of firms in Dallas are doing temp-to-hire these days. I worked temp last year, and people kept expecting me to be wanting a permanent job. The firms started doing that during the recession. You might consider doing that, so they get to try you out before hiring you as a permanent.

I don't think it's your age. Because I got offered a job when I was in my late 50s, and I got offered a job at age 61 (although it was a workhorse job that didn't pay well, but still....).

Do you look and act young? Not trying to be critical, but there's 55 that looks youthful and energetic, and there's the sluggish 55 year old, who walks slowly down the hall, wears clothes that are 20 years old. It shouldn't matter maybe, but litigation is a high energy field. It's more important that you come off looking healthy and energetic and positive and smart, than someone who might have, say, back trouble or arthritis. You have to look as though you can take 10 boxes of exhibits down the elevator and out to your car in the parking garage, and go to the courthouse with them.

If all of the things above don't apply, then I'd say it's just a hellish market right now. More paralegals than jobs. You just need to keep at it, look in the mirror and say "show time!" with a smile, and go out on the next interview. It's hard. I've had to do it. I got really depressed. But then I got a job! It'll happen.

I really suggest working temp, with the understanding that you can take off to interview (with notice). It keeps your skills up, keeps your depression in check, and they may offer you a job in the end, after they see how wonderful you are.

Let us know what happens.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 PM

687 posts, read 916,021 times
Are Paralegals in demand? That's really what it boils down to.

Or are there tens of thousands of unemployed paralegals out there all vying for a limited amount of positions?

I'm an electrician and if you aren't working it's probably a voluntary decision. There are more positions open than there are qualified people. It's one of the reasons I encourage young men to get into the trades (electrical, hvac, plumbing, welding, high-end trim carpentry, etc).

I don't know how feasible it is at 50 to readjust, retrain, and go down a different path. At the very least try looking outside your field. You never know what you may find during your search.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 PM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
She became a housewife this morning. She is no longer in the market for a job. Her husband supports her now. See her new thread.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,501 times
Quote:
If someone said that to me, I would slap them across the face.
I know the feeling....I just lose respect for that person. This theory of you must go to rock bottom and make the best of it there is maddening.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
She became a housewife this morning. She is no longer in the market for a job. Her husband supports her now. See her new thread.

And she left out the fact her husband is an attorney. Maybe the firms were thinking conflict of interest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment