Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thank you notes
Over 30: Always 12 17.39%
Over 30: Never 12 17.39%
Over 30: Sometimes 11 15.94%
Under 30: Always 13 18.84%
Under 30: Never 12 17.39%
Under 30: Sometimes 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Many of us younger people have manners. We just choose not to use them because it will not get us anywhere.
I choose to "use" my manners because it doesn't "cost" me anything and I rather like them.

So what does holding a door open for strangers do to you? You aren't dying any faster from exertion. Nor do you lose that much time. It's like how the army makes people "hurry up and wait". Rushing around just gets you riled up and floods you with adrenaline/anxiety.

Quote:
I do not send thank you notes. There are often too many applicants that this would be a burden, and it's unlikely the note would differentiate two candidates.
Well no, if HR got too many thank you notes, they could choose to not interview someone. It isn't your job to "lighten" their load, and a thank you note does differentiate candidates. It won't get someone who flunked the interview hired but it would make the hiring person remember you. Even if you don't get the job, you might be remembered for the next opening.
Quote:
manners were never intended to get you anywhere. You really don't get it.
No they weren't, they were meant to make you a pleasant person to be around. Which is what makes a work environment tolerable. Which also means that the manager might push for someone who has "manners" over someone who didn't if both are equally skilled at doing the job.

I may not hold the door every time, but I don't not do it because I'm bring rude, nor do I only hold it when I benefit from it. I hold it because I want to hold the door when I have the time to take notice of things going on around me. Though I most certainly am not "polite" on the internet all the time, but I don't feel like I'm going out of my way to be rude either if I come across that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
If they don't, they should,

Old 04-11-2015, 07:09 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
manners were never intended to get you anywhere. You really don't get it.

Perfectly said.

However, not having manners is sure to get you no where.

Manners are codified common sense and kindness. That's all.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:27 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
This is a stupid discussion much like the "what should I wear to an interview - T-shirt or sweatpants". I mean cummon, it shouldn't even be a question that you should send out Thank you notes. Is it any surprise to anyone that folks on this forum have trouble getting jobs?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Perfectly said.

However, not having manners is sure to get you no where.

Manners are codified common sense and kindness. That's all.
I wish this were true, but having just attended an elementary school play and witnessing the behavior of more than a few parents ... those who are loud/mannerless/unaware of those around them tend to benefit from their behavior frequently. And their kids learn that by watching it.

Jerks raising more jerks.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm 21 and my mom pushes me to send thank you notes, but I don't think I should have to because I don't understand it. Most employers don't even have the curtsey of letting the applicants know that the job position has been filled, so why should I go out of my way in thanking you?
This is a childish attitude. "Mommy Timmy didn't clean his room, why should I have to?"

Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I wish this were true, but having just attended an elementary school play and witnessing the behavior of more than a few parents ... those who are loud/mannerless/unaware of those around them tend to benefit from their behavior frequently. And their kids learn that by watching it.

Jerks raising more jerks.
no, you just notice them more, doesn't mean they are the majority. How many "mannered" kids get ahead of the "jerks"?

Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile I need to send them

When I receive a handwritten thank you myself, the positive thought stays with me and I don't forget as I would through an e-mail.

I am the mother of 2 millennials and I often see positive things that they do and one of them would be their manners.

I am thinking of doing more in the way of handwritten notes to my clients (thank you notes) as a way to stand out. It would not be the worst thing.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:11 PM

406 posts, read 559,627 times
I am under 30 and I have worked for three different companies since graduating from undergrad. I am a firm believer in sending thank you notes and refuse to write them over e-mail.

Why? Perhaps it's old fashioned, but it shows that you care. I'm trying to give the impression that I really want the position and that I'm willing to do more than what's convenient for me to convey this.

For my most recent position, I interviewed with a technical lead and the hiring manager in person. I sent out typed thank-you notes, signed, via USPS the very next day. This is a chance for me to thank them for their time, reinforce my interest in the role, and to mention something key from my dialogue with them to make it more personalized and to let them know I was engaged.

For the second (final) interview with the entire team of 5 sysadmins, team lead, and the hiring manager, I still took the time to write thank you letters. In fact, the interview was at headquarters 1.5 hrs away, so I went to the nearest library after the interview, typed up individual thank you letters for each participates, and sent it through the mail that afternoon.

One argument I've heard for thank you via e-mail is that they can reply back; at this stage in the game, I'm not looking for a reply back or feedback. I am looking for an offer.

I'd also like to mention my previous employer and sending thank you letter post-interview. One of the interviewers I later worked with saved that letter and would often dig it up from his files and mention it in praise. He said that once the hiring manager received his, he went straight to the department director and bragged about it. The director's response? "Hire the guy!"

Believe it or not, a little effort goes a long way.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
I'm 33 and started a new job six months ago. I have always sent a thank you note after every interview. I didn't realize that people think it's unnecessary or even tacky. As for the attitude about companies not having the courtesy to let candidates know they've been rejected, not all companies are like that. I interviewed at my company for several positions and didn't get any of them. One of the hiring managers called me to tell me she went with another candidate. She encouraged me to try for other positions as they come open and to consider going for more entry level positions just to get in the door (I was laid off from my previous job). Several months later I got an interview for another position there, and that same manager was one of my interviewers. This time I got the job, and it is a position that I love and that suits me way better than the positions I didn't get. I found out later that same manager had saved my resume and forwarded it to my current manager and recommended hiring me.

I don't know if my thank you letters helped or not, but I figured at least they would remember getting a thank you from me. They don't take much time to write and aren't difficult to do. Even if they end up in the trash, it is never tacky to thank someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment