Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Very altruistic. How many of us would genuinely do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
That's what I plan to do after I have several millions in the bank and a house that's paid for like this guy.
Oh, he's only doing it until profits improve.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:05 AM

687 posts, read 617,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Very altruistic. How many of us would genuinely do this?
Let's see this from a manufacturing industry instead of finance, then I will be impressed.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
It's nice to see the free market making these decisions for a change.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Even when someone forfeits his million dollar salary for a $70K salary, so the lowest paid can make $70K a year, it's met with scorn.

We live in a world of it's-just-not-enough and then we wonder why we're getting nothing.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:16 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
Let's see this from a manufacturing industry instead of finance, then I will be impressed.

I did this a few years back. Our company was facing some tough economic times due to one of our largest customers (my customer) losing contracts. We lost over 1/4 of our sales and I ended up with about 6 of my people sweeping floors on indirect. I was faced with the choice to send a few of my people home or take a temporary salary cut along with the rest of management to keep them there until we found new customers to pick up the slack.

Only one person in the company chose to send folks home (not the owners), and they were overruled because the majority voted. The cut lasted for quite some time. All bonuses were suspended (our bonuses were based on on-time deliveries and sales), and we all took an 10% salary cut.

It happens more than you think, but because it isn't a story bashing companies, it never gets publicity.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I did this a few years back. Our company was facing some tough economic times due to one of our largest customers (my customer) losing contracts. We lost over 1/4 of our sales and I ended up with about 6 of my people sweeping floors on indirect. I was faced with the choice to send a few of my people home or take a temporary salary cut along with the rest of management to keep them there until we found new customers to pick up the slack.

Only one person in the company chose to send folks home (not the owners), and they were overruled because the majority voted. The cut lasted for quite some time. All bonuses were suspended (our bonuses were based on on-time deliveries and sales), and we all took an 10% salary cut.

It happens more than you think, but because it isn't a story bashing companies, it never gets publicity.
My friend has a company and the whole company, including management, took a pay cut to refrain from layoffs. They are only just now starting to re-instate benefits.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Hey it really happens. And it sucks, but it sucks a lot less than going home at night and thinking about the people who came in and gave it 100% having to sit at home because management didn't want to make any sacrifices.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:59 PM

We did the same at a company I was working for. It was up to upper management to vote to either cut their staff or take pay cuts. We all took pay cuts. The CEO made the announcement and asked everyone to hang in there during our rough period, and while several people came up to thank me, one came up to ask, "Does that mean we won't be getting raises?????"

Old 04-16-2015, 05:15 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Even when someone forfeits his million dollar salary for a $70K salary, so the lowest paid can make $70K a year, it's met with scorn.

We live in a world of it's-just-not-enough and then we wonder why we're getting nothing.

Color me cynical ... I question the CEO's intent.

While it's certainly is good for the employees that are making less than $70k at his company, I'm wondering if it's just a publicity stunt. (Cameras were rolling at his company announcement?)

It -is- a temporary cut of his salary ... it only applies until the company reaches/returns to a particular profit level.

If he were so concerned about CEO salary inequity, how did his 120-employee company salary scale got to the point where he's making $1M while many others are making less than $70k?

He's has been nest-egging since 2004 so it's not so difficult to say he's temporarily giving up his $1M salary. His life isn't going to change one bit.

But, again, good for his employees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment