Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabit56 View Post
Are companies looking to hire "workers", or are companies looking for "socialites?" I am recently retired, but I am a quiet, reserved individual and I always went to work to WORK. I did not go to work to socialize. In over 40 years of military service and employment I seldom, if ever missed work or was late but would have to work for and with people who seemed to come to the workplace for gossip. Non gossipers were looked at as not fitting in and disposed of. I think the problem with the American workforce is that too many people view the workplace as a social center and not a place to devote time and energy to the employer
The answer to your question, many times, depends on the attitudes of the higher ups and their personalities. Some companies thrive on employees being 'social'; they don't usually call it that, the worn-out term in many instances is "teamwork". And to them, teamwork is defined as those who are outgoing and always attend happy hours and other company events.

Some bosses have such low self-esteem they need staff members to place them on a pedestal; so in those instances, the brownies are more valuable than 'hard workers'.

One manager said, "I could care less about skills and qualifications; just send me someone with a happy attitude who gets along with everyone."

Like you, I was the worker-bee and not the socialite. Back when I entered the workforce in the 60s, worker-bees were highly valued and socialites were replaced; however, as we have experienced, today's trend is the complete opposite in many instances.

There are recent articles regarding employers having a difficult time finding employees who will work instead of play. . . I guess what goes around, comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
it is a bit odd that the manufacturing companies want workers who can hold a conversation. maybe the nature of manufacturing has changed.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
As an employer, if you can't show up on time for $15 per hour I sure won't give you the chance not to show up at $25. I would also expect you to have communication skills since you are now working with other people and not sitting around the house in you underwear with your dog and grandma.
I started my job in 1968 at $1.95 per hour, never late and seldom sick and retired in 1991 at $85K.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
As an employer, if you can't show up on time for $15 per hour I sure won't give you the chance not to show up at $25. I would also expect you to have communication skills since you are now working with other people and not sitting around the house in you underwear with your dog and grandma.
I started my job in 1968 at $1.95 per hour, never late and seldom sick and retired in 1991 at $85K.
Where did you work? Are they still in business? Around 1/3rd of the manufacturing businesses in this area disappeared during the recession alone. Years of competing with China left little cushion for these companies to survive.

Things have improved, but you know what hasn't? Wages. They've stagnated since the 90's in the manufacturing workforce. Again, a consequence of China. It's even worse when you consider the loss of benefits.

85K with OT is possible with years of experience, lots of money tied up in tools, and a specialized skillset. Either that, or a position working for a niche manufacturer, or for a large corp on top of the food chain. That income is easier to come by, with less investment costs, in many other fields today. Those fields tend to offer much more job security as well.

A good example would probably be welders. They make better money working in the field, or in construction than they do in a factory. That's why manufacturers whine when they can't find good welders for 13 bucks an hour. They can only find welders of the $13/hr variety, which include those with little experience, and those that aren't that good. Like any other profession.

Companies could take it upon themselves to train people, but who is going to work for half of what an experienced worker makes? That's below minimum wage in some settings! I think manufacturers got used to ultra cheap recession priced labor.... When $13/hr might actually fetch a half decent worker.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Where did you work? Are they still in business? Around 1/3rd of the manufacturing businesses in this area disappeared during the recession alone. Years of competing with China left little cushion for these companies to survive.

Things have improved, but you know what hasn't? Wages. They've stagnated since the 90's in the manufacturing workforce. Again, a consequence of China. It's even worse when you consider the loss of benefits.

85K with OT is possible with years of experience, lots of money tied up in tools, and a specialized skillset. Either that, or a position working for a niche manufacturer, or for a large corp on top of the food chain. That income is easier to come by, with less investment costs, in many other fields today. Those fields tend to offer much more job security as well.

A good example would probably be welders. They make better money working in the field, or in construction than they do in a factory. That's why manufacturers whine when they can't find good welders for 13 bucks an hour. They can only find welders of the $13/hr variety, which include those with little experience, and those that aren't that good. Like any other profession.

Companies could take it upon themselves to train people, but who is going to work for half of what an experienced worker makes? That's below minimum wage in some settings! I think manufacturers got used to ultra cheap recession priced labor.... When $13/hr might actually fetch a half decent worker.
After the military I was hired by a large nationally known corporation working in the computer department. I had the worst job, 8 hours per day as an hourly employee removing the carbon paper from the computer printouts. I finish my degree at night and was promoted to an exempt position as a programmer. The company also trained me for a management position by sending me to the IBM managerial school in Los Angeles. I was not working for IBM. I was given the opportunity for a supervisory position and later promoted into management. At retirement my tile was systems supervisor and the educational requirements PhD with 4 years experience or MA with 7 years experience. In other words I could not qualify for old job again.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
After the military I was hired by a large nationally known corporation working in the computer department. I had the worst job, 8 hours per day as an hourly employee removing the carbon paper from the computer printouts. I finish my degree at night and was promoted to an exempt position as a programmer. The company also trained me for a management position by sending me to the IBM managerial school in Los Angeles. I was not working for IBM. I was given the opportunity for a supervisory position and later promoted into management. At retirement my tile was systems supervisor and the educational requirements PhD with 4 years experience or MA with 7 years experience. In other words I could not qualify for old job again.
I guess I just don't understand your original logic. It sounds like just another excuse or defense of crap wages. If I take a $15/hr job, you get $15/hr worth of worker. I certainly wouldn't break a sweat over it. But $25/hr... Well since you're making an effort, and paying like you give a damn, I'll return the favor. It runs along the same lines as, treat others as you would like to be treated.

It works. I'm living proof. I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I also laugh as the dinky little crap companies whine about their crippling shortage of low self esteem workers willing to sweat their lives away for nothing.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:39 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Everyone should show up on time to whatever job they accept no matter how much money they are making.

And yes, everyone should have basic conversational skills.

What happened to a sense of pride in a job well done? It's all bull if the person isn't making a certain amount?
And then people turn around and whine about the poor just sitting around doing nothing and not making something of themselves. Well gee, why should they if they're not getting paid enough to do it?

Doing the job of 5-6 people for 10-15 dollars an hour while the executives get rich (because they want to operate on a skeleton crew and work whats left of their employees to death) and you all get is some rinky dink 2 percent raise every year can CRUSH a person's pride pretty quickly:roll eyes:

I know its easy just to say, "Well just get another job". Easier said than done. This isn;t the 1990s or early 2000's anymore

Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
From what I have seen at multiple locations is finding people that don't have a problem with coming to work every day or even on time. Many maybe most companies have starting a "point" system in regards to coming in late and call offs ... so many and you are gone.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:08 PM

229 posts, read 382,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Everyone should show up on time to whatever job they accept no matter how much money they are making.

And yes, everyone should have basic conversational skills.

What happened to a sense of pride in a job well done? It's all bull if the person isn't making a certain amount?
And then people turn around and whine about the poor just sitting around doing nothing and not making something of themselves. Well gee, why should they if they're not getting paid enough to do it?
Can you pay bills with pride?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Oh poor companies. They want to hire College graduates for 10 dollars an hour with crappy benefits than they wonder why they can't "attract" any talent.

Shocking..

When you only offer CRAP, don't expect talent to come flocking to you. Thats kind of.. Common sense

The problem is those same "college graduates" want to be paid like they have been there for 10 years when actually they have just got hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment