Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

I have much anxiety over this. While I am not a teacher, I work for a school district and have a contract. I have been in my city 2 years and hate it with a passion. While I like my job, this has been the worst city socially for me, and I'm away from my family which I hate. I've applied for jobs to be closer to my family, but only had 1 interview. The interview I had was an HR interview which I passed, but it isn't a hiring interview (you need to meet with principals for that).

I've been speaking to my family the last couple of months letting them know I intend to resign. I come from a traditional family (I'm 30 but I'm still wanting to please my family as pathetic as that sounds), where I've always been told to never quit a job until you have been offered another one, however jobs in education IMO are different.

I've been prepared to design this June, but I'm getting cold feet. If I break my contract, I know it looks bad in the eyes of the district I am leaving (I'm prepared to do that because I intend on leaving here as soon as I can), but what about in the eyes of the district I could be interviewing with? Do districts want to take you if I'm willing to break my contract to go to their district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
When is your contract up?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I'm confused on the contract thing. Did you sign one for X number of years or is it a continuing contract that's renewed automatically as long as you don't do something dumb?

If the second, well, you're resigning to do whatever you want to tell them.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:46 PM

It's a year to year contract that renews unless my evaluations are poor (they weren't).

Old 04-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
It's a year to year contract that renews unless my evaluations are poor (they weren't).
Then just resign in the time frame set out in the contract. We have until July 15th if we're tenured to resign or retire. They really can't stop you after that but it does irritate Principals.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 PM

I'm talking about in the eyes of future districts during the school year... Will I even be able to get an interview breaking a contract when it's after September?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about in the eyes of future districts during the school year... Will I even be able to get an interview breaking a contract when it's after September?
Oh, ok. Yeah just leaving in the middle of the year looks bad. I did this past October (went on extended sick leave) with the intention of retiring but I have 31 years and have no plans to get another teaching job.

Because of my age my certificate will be automatically suspended even though it's good for 5 more years.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 PM

Right I understand that. I'm talking about if it's even likely I could get a job with a different district over 7 hours away midyear in order to be closer to my family. My current district has people leave all the time breaking contracts. I've never known anyone who gave a 2 weeks notice in this district who had their license suspended or removed for breaking a contract when giving notice.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Right I understand that. I'm talking about if it's even likely I could get a job with a different district over 7 hours away midyear in order to be closer to my family. My current district has people leave all the time breaking contracts. I've never known anyone who gave a 2 years in this district who had their license suspended or removed for breaking a contract when giving notice.
I would think that a CA district wouldn't much care about a NV district. If they want you they'll hire you and the NV district be damned.

The certificate deal is a MD thing specifically for my school system and also Baltimore City. They both have people bail constantly.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Got it. Thank you.

It's more stress for me to think about if it's even smart resigning with no job lined up, or to just continue with my job, hope I get an interview, and then give a 2 weeks notice while continuing to live somewhere I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment