Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times

Advertisements

My first full-time job (current job) started out as 12 days paid vacation and 5 paid holiday. I also get unlimited sick time (although I have not been sick in the 3 years I have worked here). In 2 years (at 5 years) I go to 18 days paid vacation, same paid holiday.

Even when I was part-time at a grocery store (during HS and college) after 1 year I got 1 week paid vacation and before I left I had 2 weeks. Now the pay was based off an average of your past 6 months, but it was still paid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Exactly! People like NJBest are just out of touch with reality, and don't understand how the rest of us live.

MSChemist: do you get sick time? how many paid holidays?
Yes 5 personal days (meaning use them if you get sick or use them for whatever no need to call your boss with a fake cough at 7am since I never get sick I usually use them for appointment and things). Holidays about 10. Like I said I was very lucky to find one of the few companies that doesn't pay and treat their science staff like crap. I'd definitely dump the whole profession rather than going back to playing staffing games with crap companies like Abvie and Pepsi.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm another one that currently has 6 weeks of vacation on the books, and that's after selling some back to take care of an expensive dental implant that was only covered 50% by my employee paid insurance. I also have 7 weeks sick leave accumulated. This is after 6 years working here. My wife works at a school and gets no vacation since they are off all summer, but my son and both daughters get similar vacation times at their places of work. I don't think it's unusual at all, but probably seems so because those without good vacation benefits complain about it so much. When choosing a career and an employer, benefits are an important consideration.
Sometimes you can do all the right things and still come up short...

Benefits are reduced, promises and/or policy ignored and managers come and go... especially with salaried positions.

Right now... managers have been going... never seen anything like it in 24 years... not send off/retirement get togethers... nothing.

Department heads with years of service are going out on leave... be it medical or family, running down the clock and on the day they are scheduled to return... are a no show.

Several times in the last year I have packed up offices of senior managers/department heads that simply quit after exhausting all time due... no telephone contact either.

The short explanation is these managers took drastic action to get the comp time/leave they were due...

In my case I have several months of approved comp time that will not transfer come June... and I learned this last week...

The comp time came about from the construction of new hospital wing... 4 months of working 7 days a week averaging 250+ documented hours each month...

Old 05-12-2015, 04:31 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
My "vacation" was an optional furlough that was paid by unemployment. I sat for about 3 weeks before they called me back, I told them there was no rush. Otherwise, I get no vacation.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:06 PM

93 posts, read 196,918 times
I teach and am getting ready to leave the profession, though I have a lot of time off, comparatively speaking. I'm going to nursing school. My fiancé is a nurse and her 3 day work week provides a vacation weekly.

I worked at a prison before I taught, which worked 12 hour shifts, like many nurses. I've never adjusted to the stupid 5 day work week so many people prize. 2 days off and 5 days at work? No thanks, the American people are brain washed into thinking that's great. EVERYBODY needs more vacation time and it's sad anybody thinks a week or two is OK.

Last edited by johnnybgood1999; 07-25-2015 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,771 times
Quote:
Don't overlook the fact the benefits change or are otherwise diminished
or differ from company to company. Take vacation time's sister: sick leave. I worked in one place where sick and vacation time were combined, so leave was leave. It was the employee's choice on how to use it. I also worked at a fairly large company where sick leave could only be used for the employee. If your child was sick or had a doctor's appointment the employee had to take vacation time to cover it. A policy like that didn't leave much time to galavant around Europe.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
or differ from company to company. Take vacation time's sister: sick leave. I worked in one place where sick and vacation time were combined, so leave was leave. It was the employee's choice on how to use it. I also worked at a fairly large company where sick leave could only be used for the employee. If your child was sick or had a doctor's appointment the employee had to take vacation time to cover it. A policy like that didn't leave much time to galavant around Europe.
I really like the PTO category as well. You never need an excuse not to show up to work. Just say you're not coming in and be done with it.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
I am thankful for my perks.

20 days of vacation (7 more days in 4 years)
3 floaters
3 personal days off
5 sick days
5 kin care days
national holidays and I can work from home as needed.
Time off for doc appointments as needed.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I get 30 vacation days per year. I could never work somewhere that gives the employees a lousy two weeks off.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It costs more to not finish.

Most of my friends here in Florida work at professional or technnical jobs and earn $60K and up. About 25% earn six figures. There are plenty of jobs with good pay and benefits for people who actually want to take the time to earn the education, skills, and experience to get them.
So for those who are mentally unable to learn more than menial skills, a life with no vacation is merited? I'm not seeing your model as being fair to those who are willing to work hard, but who can't for whatever reason do more than minimum wage work for their entire lifetime. Are you really okay with them having to forgo being treated as valuable members of the workforce? Or is everyone just a cog in the machine, with their value dependent upon how replaceable they are? Are any of your friends or family among those who just aren't very bright or are all those who don't work in professional or technical fields just underemployed? Do you have an answer to the question of the plight of those who aren't disabled, but who are just ... dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment