Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:45 AM

144 posts, read 342,480 times

Advertisements

I don't see it as being a brat to want to find the best person for the job. The candidate spent tens of thousands of dollars getting an education; my company will likely spend $10,000+ to find the right candidate, screen them, in time to train them, in lost productivity while in training, and still take the risk that they won't like the work and quit. Of course we are going to be picky. I don't see that as being a brat it is just good sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:16 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
It's a buyer's market. Deal with it.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
[Snip.]

He has a valid point. The employers are looking for someone with very specific requirements. In some cases, the requirements are so specific that they are limiting the pool of employees just by their description. Add to that wanting to pay as cheaply as possible for their desired unicorn with a blue back right hoof.

I may not see it in my lifetime, but I long for the days when it is an employee's market again.
Mod cut.

If an employer has the ability to be choosy I wouldn't expect them not to be. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-14-2015 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Reply to deleted comment; off-topic.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:48 AM

367 posts, read 458,227 times
Yes, employers are evil spoiled brats for believing in the horrific concept of wanting the best people working for their business.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Of course they have. As has been stated numerous times on here, Employers want something for nothing these days and due to the transitioning of the economy becoming essentially an employer's market, companies have begun to realize they can maximize their profit earning while underpaying their employees and treating them like garbage. And until we begin to get these sociopaths out of power in high end positions of these companies nothing will ever change.

How many companies today do you see operating on a skeleton crew and working their employees to death these days? A TON!!

Everyone is breaking their backs today only for a select few to run to the bank with a buttload of cash.

Changes need to be made at the TOP not the bottom or there will NEVER be any real changes for the better. You don't swat at the mosquitoes, you have to drain the swamp.

Since it has turned into an employer's market, companies can call all the shots and abuse their privileges all they want. There is no system of checks and balances in place.

Ever since they have came up with this nonsense of "Oh Corporations are people" they have been given the Greenlight to abuse all the privileges they want

Last edited by DorianRo; 05-14-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Yes, employers are evil spoiled brats for believing in the horrific concept of wanting the best people working for their business.

Nothing wrong with wanting the best people you can find for your business. But when you know you can offer them peanuts (due to the transitioning to an employer's market where they all call the shots and there is no power left to the people) thats where the problems begin.

In short, corporation have wayyy to much power these days. And its accepted. Thats the sad thing. They even control government decisions today with these scumbag lobbyists

Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Not in my industry. So many business owners are trying to retire. They never bothered to pay enough to attract the kind of people who would actually buy their businesses. So now, they are stuck. They couldn't give their businesses away if they tried.

Oh ya, and most of the young workers don't know how to do diddly squat cause no one trained them. That, and the wages suck. People don't want to learn professions that lead to inevitable financial woes.

Average age in my industry is about 50. So ya, kinda late to turn this choo choo around...

America's infrastructure is shot. Nobody left to fix it. Not a good position for a nation to be in.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
I don't get this employee market thinking some want. Unless they want to be self employed, no one is going to hire people without any standards. They want to negotiate more? Then do it, nothing is stopping them. Want to pick your employer? Then pick which ones you apply to and accept.

Nothing has changed from before. It's the people like the OP that seems to expect to get something for nothing. They want better pay but not do the work to negotiate for it. They want a good job but the same people say things like shotgun applications and accept any job. In reality they are willing to take any job so why shouldn't their boss pay them lower? If they wanted a better boss, they would put more effort into finding a job with them. Bet they are the $15/hr Mcdonald protesters as well

Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I don't get this employee market thinking some want. Unless they want to be self employed, no one is going to hire people without any standards. They want to negotiate more? Then do it, nothing is stopping them. Want to pick your employer? Then pick which ones you apply to and accept.

Nothing has changed from before. It's the people like the OP that seems to expect to get something for nothing. They want better pay but not do the work to negotiate for it. They want a good job but the same people say things like shotgun applications and accept any job.
I don't think the complaint is about having standards. We all have those, and typically within reason. It's that the standards have reached absurd levels.

It's like the 300 lb whale without an education or job who wants to date someone with a toned, firm body who's also educated and makes six-figures. A lot of companies suck and offer very little outside of a mediocre salary, but they all want superstar employees to work for them.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I don't think the complaint is about having standards. We all have those, and typically within reason. It's that the standards have reached absurd levels.

It's like the 300 lb whale without an education or job who wants to date someone with a toned, firm body who's also educated and makes six-figures. A lot of companies suck and offer very little outside of a mediocre salary, but they all want superstar employees to work for them.

If that was true, a lot of people here would never have jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment