Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
McDonald's order takers may be a thing of the past soon. Already in Australia you order on a touch pad and swipe your credit card. What's next a robot that can cook your burger and fries?

yea that seems simple since the menu is set and is basically the same. I see no need for employees - they get it wrong half the time anyway. With just limited menu options - they still get it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahgx3 View Post
I truly think it's sad that people think like that. You have these big companies making a ridiculous amount of money, but yet aren't paying their employees, who are making the money for them, a decent salary. I guess that's the American way huh?

The "American way" anymore seems to be "we are entitled to everything everyone else has worked for and sacrificed to get just because it's NOT FAIR that someone makes more money than I do and everyone should be equal no matter what"

I was taught this was communism. America is not a communist country.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
I'm not bitching about what the owner makes. I'm bitching about what it pays its employees. Minimum wage is not income you can afford to live on. So yeah I suggest taking another job if you have responsibilities and aren't just a high school/college kid.
Of course it isn't which is why it's called minmum wage.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:11 AM

52 posts, read 49,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
The "American way" anymore seems to be "we are entitled to everything everyone else has worked for and sacrificed to get just because it's NOT FAIR that someone makes more money than I do and everyone should be equal no matter what"

I was taught this was communism. America is not a communist country.
Lol the only people that are working/sacrificing are the employees who are unfairly compensated!!! While the owner is out riding around in his 300,000 dollar car!! Did I say the employer should sacrifice his whole salary, no! I said they should invest in their employees and pay above minimum wage. You all wonder why your McDonald's orders aren't getting done right, lol!!! It's because no one cares about their job because they are not cared for, because they don't make s*** and work their asses off for their 200/week paycheck.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

52 posts, read 49,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Think like what? That people need to stand on their own two feet and are responsible for themselves? It does not matter what someone else makes. Your friend didn't put in the work that the franchise owner did to get where he/she is now. If your friend wants to make that kind of money, they need to do what others do and work their way into it. Flipping burgers isn't it.

The American way is capitalism. Sell a product for more than it costs you to make it. There is nothing that stops people who work at McD's from deciding to do what the franchise owner did and work their way into a financial position to open their own business and profit from it. There has to be enough reward for someone to take a risk.

Remember.... you're talking about someone making a profit by sticking their neck out and risking everything they have to succeed. Then you're trying to say they should be more generous and make less money because it's the "right" thing to do. The "right" thing to do is follow the letters of the law. If these people are unhappy making minimum wage, it is up to them to better their situation. It isn't the owner's responsibility to make sure they can buy a nice car, a nice house, etc...

It's the owner's responsibility to make sure the business is profitable. McDs and similar companies make money on volume. So their margins per product is lower than other industries. They have to control costs anywhere possible. The jobs aren't meant to be life long careers. They're meant to be a job that most understand is temporary until something better comes along.
If you truly think that the successful people in this world are only successful due to hard work, you are seriously mistaken. The majority of successful people had specific circumstances that led them to where they are today, not SOLELY based on their individual characteristics and work ethic. Many people work hard everyday and get nowhere in life.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:18 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Yeah, well think about many franchise owners, like the specific one I'm referring to, who owns more than one franchise and is taking home 200k PER LOCATION, probably more because the one she worked at was apparently the least busiest of the locations the guy owned. You can quickly make back what you put up for a franchise. Not everything you read on Google is accurate, these places make plenty of money. If they didn't there wouldn't be so many of them.
Yeah, not everything you read on the internet is accurate. So provide some proof of this $200K per location income that your friend is supposedly raking in. I provided a link from Houston Chronicle, a reputable news organization, so I'd like to see something comparable to quantify this incredible income. Heck, I'd try to get a franchise myself if I could make $200K.

For a lot of these franchises, it's not enough to own one; you can only make a decent return if you own several, and that will mean 100 hours a week, and no vacations ever.

Sure, there are some with tremendous foot traffic, like in a food court or mall, or at a very busy highway rest stop. But others are not so busy. It seems the income to expense balance is all over the map. Overall, McDonald's Corporation is not making much money right now, forcing them to revamp their entire menu. If they're not making much money, then the franchisees are definitely not doing well.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Lol the only people that are working/sacrificing are the employees who are unfairly compensated!!! While the owner is out riding around in his 300,000 dollar car!! Did I say the employer should sacrifice his whole salary, no! I said they should invest in their employees and pay above minimum wage. You all wonder why your McDonald's orders aren't getting done right, lol!!! It's because no one cares about their job because they are not cared for, because they don't make s*** and work their asses off for their 200/week paycheck.
That means they should have never applied to the job since they knew what type of situation they were getting into

Old 05-19-2015, 11:40 AM
bg7

Quote:

I started off doing minimum wage jobs. I never had that attitude. Why you should think it justifies incompetence is a mystery to me. No doubt reflected on how well each of us have done in life also.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM
bg7

Quote:
If you truly think that the successful people in this world are only successful due to hard work, you are seriously mistaken. The majority of successful people had specific circumstances that led them to where they are today, not SOLELY based on their individual characteristics and work ethic. Many people work hard everyday and get nowhere in life.

Correct,... it is smart hard work, not simply hard work. You can work your butt off cleaning toilets, but it won't count as success. Work hard, work smart. If you do, the numbers are in your favor.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
News flash, every job I ever had, never paid me how hard I worked. I was always paid on the value of the job I did. Once again there are no jobs out there with your name on it. There are jobs with a value for what they are worth to the employer. He tells you what that job pays for the work expected of you. You then decide if you agree to that valuation for that job. Now here is a secret about capitalism, if you and many other people decide you don't want to take that job for the money that's offered guess what? The business owner either eliminates the position or RAISES THE PAY to attract more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment