Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

In his book The Reckoning, the late David Halberstam shared a story of an employee who embodies many of our present discontents;

The man held a skilled blue-collar job in the auto industry. He was of an age where his kids were grown, he no longer faced the financial demands of a family, and he and his own were apparently not addicted to "conspicuous consumption"; he was a disciplined worker in most respects, but missed a lot of Fridays and/or Mondays, and couldn't be counted on to work when weekend overtime was scheduled.

Finally, his manager asked him "Why is it you only want to work four days a week?"

The answer was a courteous, but to-the-point; "Because I can't live decently working three days a week."

A friend of mine who follows the local job market had a tale that underscores the point. There is a nearby plant, well-automated, which mass-produces small metal parts. The jobs are demanding, but they pay well; $16-$18/hr to start, with a potential to $22-$25 within two years.

Two candidates, both young, undencumbrered men. recently met all qualifications, but were turned down. The reason being that they asked for unpaid leave during the two-week post-Thanksgiving deer season (Vacation time during that period is hard to schedule because everybody wants it and the senior men have priority.)

I suspect that the imbalance between commitment to job vs. family/personal pursuits is certain to intensify with the growth in both sophisticated-but-demanding employment and the imblance in incomes arising from the fact that people seek life partners of similar levels of intelligence: Mr. and Ms. Bright might make a lot more than Mr. and Ms. Dull, but who has the time to enjoy it? And one often-suggested solution -- job-sharing -- isn't going to resonate well with a lot of employers because it would increase the pressures to fill the jobs nobody wants, and particularly at the times when not many of us want to work.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-28-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Well, I want to work zero days a week but that's just not realistic at this time. I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, I want to work zero days a week but that's just not realistic at this time. I'm not sure what your point is.
I concur on both accounts.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,106 times
A worker is expected to earn time away from work. Use it wisely.

The problem with workers requesting/expecting/taking additional time off, is that it puts extra demands on the workers who are showing up and doing their job. It's not only their own weight they pull, but now the absent worker places additional demands on them.

This concept of "unpaid" time being somehow an acceptable option is a non factor. You are expected to do your job, do it.

Barring personal emergency, family emergency, medical or other urgent appointment, or paid earned vacation, there's really no reason to take more than your share of time away from the workplace.

If you no longer want to keep up on your end of expectations and workplace responsibilites, move along. Find something that will make you happy and make room for someone who can be depended upon.

I've been a manager in the past, but am at a far lower station now. Still hold the same opinion from either perspective.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM

I can't make my point much simpler: Employers are asking for greater commitment from people who have the intelligence to recognize that nature gives us only a finite amount of time -- and at the stage in our lives when the demands on that time are likely to intensify soon. And they obviously don't want any change in the markets that would diminish their ability to hold the feet of the most-disciplined of the workforce closer to the fire.

Our personal productivity has expanded many times over since the five-day week became common practice in the Twenties. And the work force has similarly expanded; but it is the natural impulse of anyone who hires to seek only the best, and to run them into the ground. The recognition of this, and the pressures to address it via legal and regulatory interference are increasing, and unfortunately, much as I believe in the ability of the markets to address such matters, I see no fast or easy answer. It's an extension of the growth of "guest workers" and/or illegal immigration in the most advanced societies.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-28-2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I can't make my point much simpler: Employers are asking for greater commitment from people who have the intelligence to recognize that nature gives us only a finite amount of time -- and at the stage in ourlives when the demands on that ime are likely to intensify soon. And they obviously don't want any change in the markets that would diminish their ability to hold the feet of the most-disciplined of the workforce closer to the fire.
Greater? from what/when?
As an employee, I'd like to be able to take unpaid timeoff whenever and for however long I feel like it.
But I can see how this can be a problem for the employer.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 AM

171 posts, read 197,057 times
only in blue collar america is 16-18 an hour considered being "paid well"
just get out of blue collar wage labor work if you want to have more control of your schedule
or get a job with a better union

Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makes no sense at all View Post
only in blue collar america is 16-18 an hour considered being "paid well"
just get out of blue collar wage labor work if you want to have more control of your schedule
or get a job with a better union
18 bucks an hour is not bad for entry level. Pretty fair actually. How much can someone without experience hope to contribute? Now, 18 bucks an hour cause you're the new guy and we don't know if you'll work out, even though you have 15 years of related experience...

Racing to the bottom in the name of capitalism. People with brains will gravitate to the opportunities that suit them best. I can take deer season off if I want to, because I work for a small company that realizes the importance of people. Big companies tend to associate their success with other factors... Like offshoring, stock buybacks, mergers and acquisitions....

Capitalism is running it's course. Plan your careers accordingly. You can have more time if you are willing to make sacrifices in other areas of your life. And that's where it gets challenging for many folks. They don't know how to compromise.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 AM

I'm not the one who's "complaining": I'm close to retirement, and support myself with several sources of income, including some "temping"; but in the process, I can see the pressures building in both blue- and white-collar America; in a shop where I recently put in a few weeks, I heard a lot of resentments over the recent raising of the "full Social Security" retirement age, and most of the senior employees couldn't wait to leave (or afford to, due to our consumption-addicted society).

We ought to be able to evolve a safety valve for mature employees trapped in dead-end employment situations without straining the most capital-intensive and productive portions of our economy, but the nature of human want, with its demands (and sometimes -- needs) for personal service inveighs against it. And I tend to believe that one of the side effects of the "crony capitalism" which has characterizd more of our economy in recent years, isn't going to encourage reform.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

A friend of mine who follows the local job market had a tale that underscores the point. There is a nearby plant, well-automated, which mass-produces small metal parts. The jobs are demanding, but they pay well; $16-$18/hr to start, with a potential to $22-$25 within two years.

Two candidates, both young, undencumbrered men. recently met all qualifications, but were turned down. The reason being that they asked for unpaid leave during the two-week post-Thanksgiving deer season (Vacation time during that period is hard to schedule because everybody wants it and the senior men have priority.)
So they couldn't hunt during their days off or off hours? It would be hard to find a job anywhere when you are requesting specific vacation during your interview! At many companies, you don't even earn vacation until you're there a full year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment