Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so you are out $180 and only half done? Doesn't the original "qoute" for $300 seem about right? Maybe if you just paid up it would be done by now?
Sounded to me like $80 was for it half done, $180 was the total when the new guy finishes the job. And who's to say the guy who quoted $300 would have done a decent job or not walked off before finishing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Yes, it would. Until such time as he deigns to respond it remains a question that can only be answered by subjecting it to our own biases for causality and response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I assumed he was illegal. It is known that most HD-parkinglot laborers are illegals. Makes sense, no written trace (like a craigslist ad or phone number) that they were actually looking for work there. If police asks, "they are just waiting for the bus". Do I need undeniable evidence? Ok, maybe they were part of the British royal family, lets assume that without seeing their "i'm an illegal" ID.
Whether the guy was illegal is beside the point. The point is that someone looking for undocumented work should not be that picky.
LOL

Well, johnrex62, it appears that I was correct.

Oh, and it appears that I am not the bigot here.

Good day, sir.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM

22,501 posts, read 12,045,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshrike View Post
For the future, if there are questions on where to find day laborers in the SF Bay (there are tons of sites). Not knowing WHERE in the SF Bay you are here are three options. SF, San Jose, and Mountain View. They even quote price estimates.
welcome to the sf day labor program - Home
CTC: The Center for Training & Careers » A Community Program that Works for You!ABOUT CTC - CTC: The Center for Training & Careers
Day Worker Center : Home
Oh, let's see...

From SF Day Labor's FAQs:

Do you provide all the necessary insurance?
No, SF Worker's Collective is a non-profit that helps connect workers with employers. The employment relationship is between the employer and worker. Check your homeowner's or renter's insurance for coverage.

And this:

What forms of payment do the workers accept?
The workers prefer to be paid in cash after the job is completed. No credit cards or personal checks.

Then this:

What if I'm not satisfied with the job completed?
We value your feedback and would like to hear about your experience. We are constantly trying to give better services.

They think they're being cute but what this tells us is that they are aiding and abetting illegal aliens. The workers "prefer" to be paid in cash. Gee...why is that? Answer: No paper trail which means you can't prove that they were at your place and the worker gets to evade paying taxes.

And they "value your feedback"---whatever that means since they don't explain.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,279,022 times
But dont forget he has to be paid or pay someone to go get the blower and the cellulose ...half an hour 45 minutes and hour??? Then haul it all to your house ( who's truck and gas ? Yours?) and set it up and blow it in and clean up and load it and take it back and... and... and... and... are you counting all that time? 20 minutes work? Hummm well it really cost him an hour just to come and see what you wanted done.. Do you work 8 hours for 7 hours pay everyday? How about what you thought would take 20 minutes and you dont do it for a living and more than likely you dont have the tools so its going to be more like 3 to 6 hours.. OOpppss hey chemist for the next 22 years we are only going to pay you to work 4 hours a day but you need to be here 8 hours a day....you'd be Pissed OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've had similar problems. I try to get a contractor out to replace some rotten wood on my house and 3/4 don't show the rest quote me $500 for 20 minutes of work. I was looking for a contractor to blow some insulation into my attic last winter and couldn't get anyone to show up so went off to Home Depot and rented the equipment and did it myself for a little under $200. If you want something done right (and at a fair price)....

Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,261 times
Quote:
I got 5 yards of dirt delivered on my driveway.
I spent 2 days in trying to get some day laborer to shovel it into a wheelbarrow and move it into my backyard.
2 people promised but never showed up and never called and never answered my phone calls anymore.
One showed up but did part the job then suddenly had to go to another job. For all of these I offered $20/h.
I went to HD parking lot, there was only one illegal immigrant. When I mentioned $15/h he looked me like I have insulted his mother (the gossip says they work for $8-10/h), he said they don't do hourly rate but he wanted to charge $300 for the complete job. The job should be 5-8hours for one man.
So, no one is fancy doing some hard labor, and only trying to rip people off and not completing the job?
How the hell do I get anyone to do some FF labor DONE at all?
Haha that is insane to me the laziness. When I was between jobs for a bit a few years ago I'd do anything to get some money and make ends meet. Took a craigslist gig shoveling gravel for $10 an hour cash during an inland SD county heat wave of 105 degree days. 10 hours a day for a week. I have hip issues mind you. It about killed me but I was grateful to be able to make some money especially in early 2009 when there was just no real jobs out there.

Glad I have a career making just under 50K now (IMO great money here in Arizona) and a promising future as I move up here.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The OP was asked several times how he knew that the person he approached was illegal. He didn't answer - which I took to mean that he just assumed because the person was of another race.

How is that not bigotry?
It would be an "assumption", my guess (since I don't know the OP) based not on bigotry but based on the area and the people that generally look for work there.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Haha that is insane to me the laziness. When I was between jobs for a bit a few years ago I'd do anything to get some money and make ends meet. Took a craigslist gig shoveling gravel for $10 an hour cash during an inland SD county heat wave of 105 degree days. 10 hours a day for a week. I have hip issues mind you. It about killed me but I was grateful to be able to make some money especially in early 2009 when there was just no real jobs out there.

Glad I have a career making just under 50K now (IMO great money here in Arizona) and a promising future as I move up here.
You are obviously someone who values working for one's money instead of wanting something for nothing.
Any you're correct $50k in AZ is not bad at all!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,614,221 times
Quote:
I assumed he was illegal. It is known that most HD-parkinglot laborers are illegals. Makes sense, no written trace (like a craigslist ad or phone number) that they were actually looking for work there. If police asks, "they are just waiting for the bus". Do I need undeniable evidence? Ok, maybe they were part of the British royal family, lets assume that without seeing their "i'm an illegal" ID.
Whether the guy was illegal is beside the point. The point is that someone looking for undocumented work should not be that picky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL

Well, johnrex62, it appears that I was correct.

Oh, and it appears that I am not the bigot here.

Good day, sir.
Au Contraire. YOU stated he assumed illegal due to race. HE stated, as I suggested as a possibility, that he believed so because it is known that the norm for day laborers at the location is to be illegal.

You cannot be bigotted against a geographic location.

Sorry, it appears you are again INCORRECT.

Good day to you.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It would be an "assumption", my guess (since I don't know the OP) based not on bigotry but based on the area and the people that generally look for work there.
It's a very common assumption that at this point has become a societal norm near the border states at least. It's what drives me nuts when the topic of illegal immigration comes up people start talking about "seeing" illegals here and illegals there. At my company we E-verify and ensure validity of legal work visas when we hire. A lot of our labor force doesn't speak much english if any. They have a right to be here and did it the right way. Assumptions kill me. It's like racism is ok as long as they "look like illegals". My username has to do with my home town by the way, I'm a white guy .
I'd let it go and stay on topic on this one. It is such a societal norm that I doubt the OP was being a bigot, at least not intentionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment