Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,135 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post on here. Nice to meet you all. Before I begin, I must remind everyone that I understand that there are people looking for jobs, I've been there and I know what it's like, but one has to remember that jobs shouldn't be torture. I'm looking for some sound advice, please.

I'm working my 3rd job in the care sector. Between the second and third job, I started a small business selling personalised products. I was doing quite well, but had to stop due to problems at home, which are now solved. I decided to go back into work to help fund the business originally again. I'm 24, and after my first shift ended, I could not sleep, eat or think properly. I found it hard to breathe, and after every shift I have 2-3 hours sleep. I feel emotionally drained, and everything I once enjoyed doing has gone out of question. My outlook has gone bleak, and I'm finding myself upset over my decision to go back to care work. The problem, I think, is that it's too much on my mind. At home, my mother has a brain tumour, and my grandmother lives with us, who has dementia. Going into work doing 12 hour shifts bothers me little, but being surrounded by ill patients in similar conditions makes me feel trapped and isolated, and as a result it's draining my health incredibly quickly. This was the reason I left my 2nd job (again, all 3 have been care related). I'm feeling lost, and I'm worrying about my health as a result. Pay means little to me, but I've asked my friends advice on this, and they've told me to quit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Oh I am so sorry you are going through this! I have been in a similar situation when my father was in hospice, mom diagnosed with lung and ovarian cancer and sister diagnosed with leukemia. I personally handled it quite poorly.

My advise if you can, take a step back in your job, go part time? Find something else you enjoy?

During this get therapy, exercise (huge help) and eat right. Best of luck in these difficult times.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,389 times
If I may, when exactly are you not at work?

If you work 12 hour shifts in the care industry, providing care for ill patients, and then return home to a parent with a brain tumor and a grand parent with dementia, when exactly are you "off duty?" You may draw a distinction between your duty station and your home in your conscious life, but your subconscious (measured in stress levels) may be suggesting to you that it feels like it needs some time away from 'working.' That is to say, it detects little or no difference between work and home.

Even a 24 year-old, as resilient and powerful as they are, needs a little time to him- or herself. Some time not on duty. You cannot work 24/7 surrounded by the sick and injured for months on end. (I've tried.)

Perhaps looking at your situation from that perspective offers you ideas about how you want to spend your time working for now...

Good luck!

R-3.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Oh I am so sorry you are going through this! I have been in a similar situation when my father was in hospice, mom diagnosed with lung and ovarian cancer and sister diagnosed with leukemia. I personally handled it quite poorly.

My advise if you can, take a step back in your job, go part time? Find something else you enjoy?

During this get therapy, exercise (huge help) and eat right. Best of luck in these difficult times.
I hear exercise is a great help, I've been considering it. My friend does it often, and he's just shared his work out pattern, so I'm going to follow that. I'm also sorry to hear about your experience, indeed it's a dark time. I've tried to speak to the manager about dropping a shift but I've had no luck so far, both always say they're too busy to talk. A different job that takes me from the difficulties at home seems an ideal choice. Thank you for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
If I may, when exactly are you not at work?

If you work 12 hour shifts in the care industry, providing care for ill patients, and then return home to a parent with a brain tumor and a grand parent with dementia, when exactly are you "off duty?" You may draw a distinction between your duty station and your home in your conscious life, but your subconscious (measured in stress levels) may be suggesting to you that it feels like it needs some time away from 'working.' That is to say, it detects little or no difference between work and home.

Even a 24 year-old, as resilient and powerful as they are, needs a little time to him- or herself. Some time not on duty. You cannot work 24/7 surrounded by the sick and injured for months on end. (I've tried.)

Perhaps looking at your situation from that perspective offers you ideas about how you want to spend your time working for now...

Good luck!

R-3.

I hear you. It really does feel like it's 24/7. Even when everyone is in bed at home my mind is still burning away at the thought of having to repeat and repeat. The worse things got with my mother and grandmother the more I became stressed. Honestly, I kick myself for going back to care work. The whole reason I quit a year ago was because it clashed too much with happenings at home. A year later, just over a week, and I regret it terribly. Not that you need a degree in care work, but having studied for one, and been volunteering in the field for half my life, I thought I had no choice but to work in the care industry. As of late I've come to realise a change of career is appropriate. Thank you for listening and replying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment