Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 01:04 PM

63 posts, read 90,783 times

Advertisements

I have heard some people saying they were able to secure a job by ''favour'' or ''divine intervention''. In order word they are trying to say they got a job they are not merited to get. Do you think there is anything like that? Share your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
It's called networking... I've gotten jobs before by asking and it doesn't mean I didn't have the qualifications to do it, I just didn't bother to apply elsewhere and just called up a manager and asked if they had a opening. They did, I got the job, and such is how networking works.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:35 PM

306 posts, read 431,625 times
It's about who you know.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
It's about who you know.
yes but it's also about that person knowing that you can do the work too :P

Old 06-01-2015, 04:39 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebar View Post
I have heard some people saying they were able to secure a job by ''favour'' or ''divine intervention''. In order word they are trying to say they got a job they are not merited to get. Do you think there is anything like that? Share your experience.
Assuming it is not a family business, it does not necessarily mean that they are not capable of doing the job. It means they know someone who cut through the administrative process or interceded on their behalf. Most people are not going to put their reputation on the line for someone who is incapable of filling the requirements of the position.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 PM

306 posts, read 431,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
yes but it's also about that person knowing that you can do the work too :P

Not always, my friend. I've seen some things

Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
Not always, my friend. I've seen some things
yes I watch movies as well

Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 PM

366 posts, read 494,431 times
My sister in law and her husband get 60K a year through her father employing her husband. Her father also pays for their car repairs and gas (for a car and an SUV) and he gets full benefits and 3 weeks vacation every year. He can also take days off for when he has to watch his kids because his wife is working and there's a teacher's day at the schools. He takes days off for his migraines. He shows up at work at about 9:30 am and leaves at about 1pm or 2pm because he says he needs to be home for his kids getting home from school. Thing is, he lives 20 mins away from work and the kids don't get home til 4pm. He once told me he can come and go as he likes because he's a manager. (He "manages" 1 person. Seriously. And that person makes the 60K as well due to being another relative.) He and his wife whine about how he is a "certified machinist" and how the other relative shouldn't get the same amount of money as he does because he's not "certified." Nevermind that he actually goes into work at 6:30 am and can't leave til 4pm to close the place.

The both of them have been supplementing their income with the father's charity for so many years I can't count. But they ran over and literally bawled out the other relative for asking the dad to help him when he was behind on a bill. They said, why do you think it's Dad's responsibility to pay your bills?

The irony is astounding, no?

Not to mention my sister in law worships at the Apple altar and gifts herself multiple ipads, i phone, apple TV, mac book, Mac desktop, a treadmill, a big screen TV for upstairs, an XBOX, and countless other pieces of crap she buys for herself.

Nice to have a Daddy to pay your way, eh?

And when it came down to her husband wanting a new SUV, he said he was gonna get dear old Daddy in law to help him get it. because you know, he can't just get it on his own or ask his OWN parents to help him.

The whole family is sickening.

And that's at least one example of nepotism out there. And btw, the dad's business has been going for over 30 years and people who have been working with him since it BEGAN don't even make as much as his daughter's husband gets for pure virtue of having married her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment