Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM

765 posts, read 987,315 times

Advertisements

I had a chance to be a system administrator but the pay was not enough to justify the responsibilities not to mention going on salary being on call 24/7 yup no thanks better dealing with end users on an hourly basis and goin home at 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:30 AM

509 posts, read 555,229 times
Yes because it was longer hours and more work than I was willing to put in at that time.
No regrets

Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I didn't turn the job down but I eventually quit over not liking my "promotion." I accepted the new job because my company asked me to, even though I suspected I would not like it as much as the job I had. I was an editor of a monthly magazine and was asked to become head editor of a single, annual book the company published each year. The magazine was interesting and I was part of a creative team. The book job was isolating and dull. I was simply updating something that came out every year and no one wanted any creative overhaul of it because it was a money-maker as it stood. I was bored out of my skull and the small pay raise didn't make up for that. I looked for another job outside the company and gave my employer plenty of time to find a new editor for their big yawn.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
I have gone even further and asked to step down when my responsibilities kept growing and I became more of a project manager and less of an implementer. I am pretty good at my job but I am fair to middlin' at best when it comes to managing large projects. I started the job as lead on a small team doing a single project and over the years we kept adding more and I was literally panicking at times trying to stay on top of everything. Things fell through the cracks. I had to take a slight cut when I stepped down but I turned on the afterburners to do a really good job and my next increase took me past what I had made while managing.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,505 times
I did ask for a demotion once also. I was a VP and the hours were brutal. And being in charge of people who did not want to work made it worse. Was no decrease in pay but no perks and no chance to move up anymore. Was worth it. Went to being a senior acct sitting at my desk all day.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
If so why or why not?
Two years out of college, I was offered a management/marketing position. Big pay increase. I turned it down because I didn't want to wine and dine and wheel and deal. Don't regret it.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,182,366 times
I turned down a promotion to a middle management position in a govt. agency. More work, more responsibilities, including dealing with political appointees, but no additional pay -- no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment