Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 04:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,501,157 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I do believe the monitor was put into an vacant office that traveling employees use, but it wasn't an immediate need or something along those lines. It's more so my manager is really against me having the second monitor thinking it will slow me down and is wasteful. I even asked him did he use one before, because I feel like most people if they tried it would see how brilliant it is, but he said he did and he hates it.

I just don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 05:07 PM

174 posts, read 218,091 times
I have three monitors at work and I need more!! I feel 5 times slower when I have to work on just one screen again. Spending the $300 per employee to have extra monitors is totally worth it. Probably make all the money back within a month with the productivity gain.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I'll sell you all the 17 inch monitors you could want for $250, each you'll save $50 a monitor! That's after I buy them for $75 each and pocket the profit. Monitors are cheap and any modern desktop should be able to support two monitors. If it's a laptop, you'll need a docking station usually.
I think you will have to do better than that. I use a 24" LED monitor at home that I paid $279 for two years ago at Freddie Krogers.

Just about any off the shelf computer nowadays has enough RAM and CPU to handle multiple linked spreadsheets and a database. The only person I know who uses 6 monitors does video production on a high end workstation, but 2 large monitors should be considered a normal workspace.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:28 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,230,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I'm curious about this. I work in accounting and I've been begging for a second monitor since I started. Someone else finally got a new monitor, and I was given his old monitor. Dual monitor bliss. Well, for a very short time because my manager thought that a second monitor was completely worthless and just wasteful. He thought having two monitors would actually slow you down... I got the monitor taken away...

But that made me curious. I've always felt a two monitor setup for any computer usage, especially work, is EXTREMELY beneficial. Doesn't matter if you're a programmer or an office assistant, there is lots of benefits to be had. But I wanted to see what other people think. Does anyone else think having a second monitor is wasteful or useless? I would disagree.
I am a computer programmer who has two monitors at work. Having code or a spreadsheet open on one screen and email open on another is extremely convenient and permits copy and paste easy. I sometimes wish that I had three screens. Two is a good compromise. One large screen that permits two or more different apps open side by side time is good too.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,475,194 times
I work in digital marketing focused on social media, content creation, and website editing helpdesk roles. Without two monitors, I would be toast. I could really use a 3rd, especially since there's a social media dashboard I keep up practically 24/7. Even here at home I keep the dashboard up in the background because I unfortunately do not have a 2nd monitor here.

It is MUCH harder to be effective when I do not see in the moment updates.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:17 PM

483 posts, read 692,578 times
Yeah, it's not wasteful if you need to run multiple apps, in fact it's less wasteful because you're quicker to keep extra apps open all the time. I once had a job where I needed to potentially access 3 different bosses' Outlook calendars. Umbrella-ing them under my Outlook was not possible because that made the app so sluggish nothing was getting done. My mother would call this "penny wise and pound foolish" on the company's part.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times
At my job I have up to 5 different programs up because we multi-task so much (customer service), not including email, which I open and close throughout the day. So, yes, for me two monitors is beneficial, although it's a big pain in the butt in other ways.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 AM

12,871 posts, read 9,101,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
FWIW, I do believe the monitor was put into an vacant office that traveling employees use, but it wasn't an immediate need or something along those lines. It's more so my manager is really against me having the second monitor thinking it will slow me down and is wasteful. I even asked him did he use one before, because I feel like most people if they tried it would see how brilliant it is, but he said he did and he hates it.

I just don't understand.

I had a manager once who just couldn't understand why anyone needed any feature he didn't use himself. He used to complain about all the features in Word that he never used. No matter how hard we tried to explain, he couldn't grasp that just because he saw the computer as a fancy typewriter, didn't mean the secretary, who sat about 10 feet away, didn't use a whole lot more features managing the correspondence. Heck, he didn't even understand that saving the document meant you didn't have to retype the whole thing each time.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,822,194 times
I couldn't function without two monitors--plain and simple. Productivity goes in the tank if I'm using my laptop in a working meeting away from my second monitor. Not everyone NEEDS one, but I damned sure wouldn't take one surplus one AWAY from someone. Where I work, they don't even inventory mice, keyboards, or monitors, that's how ubiquitous they are any more.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:45 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,580,725 times
Heck, I don't work with Computers, but have two running all the time with dual 24 inch Monitors. I surf with one, can run You Tube or anything else on another and use another computer for data and communications monitoring and equipment control. And that's all Hobby, so there is no reason a business can't look ahead and try to improve use of an employees time. It helps and makes life easier. My third computer in my Hobby Shop is even running two monitors at times. One for video on a Zeiss Microscope and a second for real time comparisons, plus data entry or lookup. BIG Time savers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment