Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:22 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure about your use of these efficiency numbers. 100% efficiency means 0% wasted effort and wasted materials usage. I don't know your job, but do you mean performing as expected by management = 100% efficiency? And faster = higher efficiency? I can promise you that your $11/ hour wage is not making or breaking the profitability of this company, nor would an increase to $15 materially hurt their bottom line. After all, that is less than $9,000 per year. The big question is are you willing to guarantee your current hyper-rate of work to your overlords?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
I took it to mean that the management set a goal of 100, they completed 137. Either completed tasks/sold items/etc.

So selling 37 extra items "does" impact their profitability. A car lot needs to sell 100 cars to break even this month, they sell 137 so everyone gets a bonus for hitting the mark and it is a "good" month so one bad salesmen could in theory drag the entire lot down. Normally a commission based job though. Sounds like op wasn't paid on commission since it sounds like co-workers are doing easy jobs because they are easy, and not for a quick turn around rate. If it was, he should aim for easy first for a higher turn out rate but he said doing the harder tasks turned out more profit and not just the rate of turn out.

maybe they are paid based on turn around rate? OP do you know if this is true or not? So coworkers get paid more because they turn out more assignments? Maybe you aren't getting paid the same because you are measuring using the wrong metrics. IE you doing hard work means more money for the company, but you turn out fewer items so you don't see any of the profits. But if you did all the easy tasks too, less profits but you turned out more so you get paid more? The profit of the company doesn't always correlate to how much someone is paid until higher up on ladder. IE grocery store manager gets better bonus for managing a "profitable" store, the registry clerk doesn't get same bonus for scanning more people. They just hire a 2nd clerk instead.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:25 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
If you want a large raise you usually need to jump ship and move to another company or get a huge change in title promotion. Otherwise any raise over 2-3% would be like pulling teeth as pretty much the entire chain above you and even some laterally need to approve.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 4,924 times
Rugrats2001 and Eyeb:

I must apologize for not explaining when I was talking about efficiency for the company I work for. When I describe a higher efficiency I'm basically referring to the time it take to do something. Completing tasks in the least amount of time with the least amount of resources possible. The more time spent on assignments the more the company is paying us to spend on that particular assignment.

Note: When I speak on assignments the team works together on each assignment. These assignments are divided up in steps which are consistent of 1.) Set up 2.) Process 3.) Finish 4.) Inspection 5.)Count. Steps #1 and #3 are usually the most difficult depending on the type of assignment.

For each assignment there is a certain amount of labor hours assigned to that particular job. The number of labor hours is divided by the number of team mates working on the job.

The company assigned 14 hours to complete that particular job and 4 team member are working on the job which gives us a total of just 3.5 hours to get the job done. Anything over that team the efficiency goes down and the company is paying us too money to get that particular job done. So each job which is complete is given an efficiency rate and at the end of the day we have a total efficiency for all of the assignment which was done that day. So the company looks at eff. rate of 100% as just about "breaking even" meaning they are selling the product just about how much it cost for them to produce it. The higher percentage means less time was taken which means more product is getting complete which means more profit-- I hope I worded this correct; if not I will try to take another shot at it.

They also look at the number of finish product at the end of the day as well. So with 4 people they're expecting a number of 1,300 products to done at the end of the shift.

Hopefully this explains more about the efficiency I was speaking about in my earlier post.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:41 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Devil's Advocate.

I think asking for the raise is acceptable provided it's positioned as you trying to make sure the compensation is fair for the expected additional workload, and that such a raise is easily avoidable by getting others up to your level.

You're then putting the ball in their court. Light a fire under the slackers, or pay me enough that it doesn't matter.

If you can quantify how much this would impact the profit margin, all the better. That would be the #1 concern.

The other alternative would be a bonus. So if your work volume is 3x the others, for example, you get a bonus equal to X. If the bonus encourages others to step it up, you still get what you want - which is fair play across the board.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotPeter View Post
I would say that there is about 65%-70% of the harder assignments compared to the easier ones. You're post was very informative which made me re-think this and might consider saying at my current pay and just doing my fair share of the contribution to the team and leave management to figure out the problem. Thanks eyeb
I would say this is an overreaction on your part. After all, your primary goal is to make more money for yourself, correct?

Taking a passive attitude and 'letting management figure it out' is another way of saying that you give up and will accept the status quo. You really do need to point out your worth. If you do the hard jobs and do them well, point it out. That isn't throwing your team under the bus, as much as it is trying to be recognized for your exceptional skills.

Let management know. It is possible that you will get a raise. 10% isn't as good as 37%, but it's certainly better than 0. You should also try for a promotion. That will pay you in the long run.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Rugrats2001 and Eyeb:

I must apologize for not explaining when I was talking about efficiency for the company I work for. When I describe a higher efficiency I'm basically referring to the time it take to do something. Completing tasks in the least amount of time with the least amount of resources possible. The more time spent on assignments the more the company is paying us to spend on that particular assignment.

Note: When I speak on assignments the team works together on each assignment. These assignments are divided up in steps which are consistent of 1.) Set up 2.) Process 3.) Finish 4.) Inspection 5.)Count. Steps #1 and #3 are usually the most difficult depending on the type of assignment.

For each assignment there is a certain amount of labor hours assigned to that particular job. The number of labor hours is divided by the number of team mates working on the job.

The company assigned 14 hours to complete that particular job and 4 team member are working on the job which gives us a total of just 3.5 hours to get the job done. Anything over that team the efficiency goes down and the company is paying us too money to get that particular job done. So each job which is complete is given an efficiency rate and at the end of the day we have a total efficiency for all of the assignment which was done that day. So the company looks at eff. rate of 100% as just about "breaking even" meaning they are selling the product just about how much it cost for them to produce it. The higher percentage means less time was taken which means more product is getting complete which means more profit-- I hope I worded this correct; if not I will try to take another shot at it.

They also look at the number of finish product at the end of the day as well. So with 4 people they're expecting a number of 1,300 products to done at the end of the shift.

Hopefully this explains more about the efficiency I was speaking about in my earlier post.
Thank you for your clarification. I think you may be a little off on your understanding of the actual meaning of the 100% efficiency mark. If the bosses find a 100% efficiency to be an acceptable mark, they are assuredly making a profit at that point which meets their needs. I think they are using efficiency to indicate the inverse of the budget (in time and materials) that is used for each job. Let's say they budget 10 hours of labor for a job, and you do it in 8 hours, your efficiency rating would be 10/8, or 125%. The 100% mark makes them enough profit to pay you, buy materials & supplies, pay rent and utilities, pay management salaries, and make a certain percentage of profit for the stockholders. I assume when you say it is a public company that it is owned by stockholders. Anything over 100% would be extra profit used to grow the company, give bonuses to the workers or management, or distributed to the stockholders as a dividend.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:22 PM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Apply for another company. Tell them you make more than you do. There's your raise.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Most likely not going to happen without changing companies or changing positions.

As someone else stated, someone making 11.50 an hour can be replaced in a matter of about 10 minutes. If you demand that much more, they can find someone else.

That's just how production type jobs go.

You can try, but you probably won't get it.

Personally, I'd try... but I would have been looking for a new job a long time ago.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:20 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
The company wants the team to have about 107% efficiency so they can make a profit.
Quote:
For the past 2 days I've been doing the hard work which placed the team at 140% and 135% efficiency for those 2 days.
I'm puzzled how this efficiency is calculated, if every employee showed up on time every day, worked at a steady rate all day until the end of the work day without making any mistakes and didn't take any coffee / smoke / bathroom breaks employees could in theory have a 100% efficiency rating. This of course is impossible, The real efficiency rating probably doesn't get anything better than 75%. So how for this mystical efficiency rating calculated?

Quote:
The problem is that the members are capable of doing the easy assignments but the harder assignments they struggle and on top of it they tend to waste time. For an example I can do an assignment in about an hour and a half while the other members would take about 4 to 4 and half hours doing the same job.
I recall a similar situation a friend in IT had. There was a requirement to close so many help desk tickets a day, didn't matter if the ticket took 5 minutes to close or 3 hours, they were all counted as the same. So one guy would jump on all the quick easy tickets to close, meet his quota every day and looked like gold and my friend got stuck with tough help desk tickets that took hours to close and caught hell for not meeting the daily ticket quota.

Quote:
The company assigned 14 hours to complete that particular job and 4 team member are working on the job which gives us a total of just 3.5 hours to get the job done. Anything over that team the efficiency goes down and the company is paying us too money to get that particular job done.
Thanks for clarifying the "efficiency" thing. The funny thing about efficiency, it's a moving target. If they give you 14 hours to complete a task and your able to consistency complete it in say 13 hours, it will not be long before the company moves the expectations to complete the assignment in 13 hours.

As for demanding more money for completing your assignment early or making more widgets in a given amount of time I wouldn't recommend it. Unless your being paid by the piece (where you make a set amount of money for each widget you produce) your there 8 hours a day, and expected to work everyday, regardless of weather or not you happen to make more widgets that another employee. And tell them well your not going to work as hard anymore and just do minimal amount of work like Joe is doing it probably going to get you fired for threatening not doing your job.

The best you can hope for is make it know you can make more widgets that your co-workers and make your case when a promotional opportunity comes along. From what you said your pay was, like it or not your a low level production employee. You don't have anywhere near the clout or leverage to be demanding a big raise. Hell I make more than 3 times what you make and I'm a higher level employee where I work and I wouldn't dream to ask for a raise in this way, even if I was doing more than my co-workers.

Last edited by TechGromit; 06-13-2015 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment