Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:31 AM

218 posts, read 394,334 times

Advertisements

This lady has only been here 4 months. Called out sick the first month because her teenage daughter was sick. Then month 2 left early sick and called in sick the next day. Said she had an ear infection and had vertigo. Then the next week came in 5 hours late because she said she hurt her foot. She was late several times throughout these 1st two months also. Then for almost 2 month she was here ever day and not late so I guess they said something to her. Then last week she was here Monday and called in the rest of the week saying she had the flu. 4 days. She is here today but sounds fine. I told her voice sounded ok and she said she didn't really have a head cold just a fever on and off. Usually if you have a bad flu when you are out for 4 days you sound and feel pretty crappy. People here are wondering how she still has a job? This is a huge company and you think there would be some rules.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Does she report to you? Does her not being there in any directly impact your work?

If the answer is no, than mind your own business.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Stop the rudiness. Yes it impacts all of us. We have to cover her work.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Stop the rudiness. Yes it impacts all of us. We have to cover her work.

This is the standard answer to this question. People here seem to somehow think that it's totally ok for employees to not show up to work and people should just shut up and smile.

Unless you work in total isolation, an absence will (or should - else, why are you there?) impact someone.

No, you aren't wrong...but you did ask the question in the wrong place.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Seanin isn't being rude, but instead honest. A surefire way to put yourself in a spotlight you don't want to be in is to get into someone else's business. Management may be handling this behind closed doors. It isn't your place to get involved. Head down, keep working. These types of problems almost always take care of themselves eventually.

Mocha, what you tend to ignore is that none of us are saying it won't impact you. It will. I was impacted by having to cover for someone who sat in their cubicle and played on their phone ALL day long for 2 solid years. But management was aware of the problem and had to find a way to get rid of him. When layoffs came around, he was the very first on the list and they refused to help find him another position in the company.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,996,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Seanin isn't being rude, but instead honest. A surefire way to put yourself in a spotlight you don't want to be in is to get into someone else's business. Management may be handling this behind closed doors. It isn't your place to get involved. Head down, keep working. These types of problems almost always take care of themselves eventually.
^^^ This. If the lady is adhering to the sick leave policy set in place at your company, then there is nothing wrong. Yes, people might take advantage of certain rules, but if no rules are broken, it isn't your place at all to get in their business. Just do your job and if rules are indeed being broken, let management do theirs. As Nlambert pointed out, these types of issues always take care of themselves.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM

I'm just asking here. Not getting involved in it at work. I would think she should have been fired within her first 90 days but what do I know.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
"Am I wrong for not believing someone who says she is sick "
:::shrug:::
You can believe whatever you want.

But unless you are her boss, that belief gets you nowhere. It is a waste of your time.

So, this is the same lady from here...
Should this woman be fired already?, right?

Oh... and here too!
New coworker only here 6 weeks and already left early and called in?

You seem awfully into her business....

Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Understand completely. What I would do is use this as an opportunity to put a positive spotlight on yourself. When their work isn't getting done, offer to do it. I kept my job after only being here 2 years to his 5 because of this. I also got promoted to a senior planner (his title) and got a nice pay raise because of it. He kept telling me I was the last hire so I'd be gone. He was surprised when he found out who was on the list. The corporate wheel is very slow moving and sometimes it takes a lot of time things to turn around.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
I'm just asking here. Not getting involved in it at work. I would think she should have been fired within her first 90 days but what do I know.

Apparently you have asked 3 times on here.

Since you're so concerned, why don't you go ask her boss?

"Excuse me but here is a list of the dates and the reasons she has been absent, correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't she be fired by now".

See how that goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment