Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,637 times

Advertisements

After reading so many different opinions and beliefs among Christians in this forum, I started wondering about something and wanted to ask a question...

Which is the better position to be in when facing God for judgement - do you think it's better to have NOT believed something you were supposed to believe, or is it better to have believed something you shouldn't have?

I'm asking this, because of all the different Christians who think their interpretations and beliefs are correct, even though some of them clash with one another. For instance, Mormons believe they have correct beliefs and doctrine, while Baptists think the same thing, and so do Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, etc etc. So what happens if, after we die, we find out we somehow didn't get it all right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:14 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
After reading so many different opinions and beliefs among Christians in this forum, I started wondering about something and wanted to ask a question...

Which is the better position to be in when facing God for judgement - do you think it's better to have NOT believed something you were supposed to believe, or is it better to have believed something that was wrong?
I'm not sure I see a whole lot of difference between not having believed something I was supposed to believe and believing something that was wrong. Either way, we've goofed somewhere along the way.

Quote:
I'm asking this, because of all the different Christians who think their interpretations and beliefs are correct, even though some of them clash with one another. For instance, Mormons believe they have correct beliefs and doctrine, while Baptists think the same thing, and so do Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, etc etc. So what happens if, after we die, we find out we somehow didn't get it all right?
I'm guessing that God will actually be more merciful towards people whose beliefs were wrong but whose hearts were in the right place than He'll be towards people who believed everything 100% correctly, but never did figure out what Jesus really meant when He told us to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,825 times
Interesting question, one that I ask myself as well.

Looking forward to the answers . . . I believe that doctrine is important, and we need to study to show ourselves approved . . BUT . . . our hearts and relationship with God is more important than if we believed or didn't believe a certain doctrine.

We must not be so STUCK on a doctrine, that we refuse to look at it with new eyes . . . and we must keep asking for wisdom and discernment . . don't just feel you are right . . . and another doctrine is wrong . . . study with an open heart and listen to the Holy Spirit guiding you.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,637 times
Looking forward to the answers I get on this. But will sign off for now and check back later.

Thanks for reading.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,333 times
Pray and ask God Our Holy Father to show you what is TRUE
according to Him.

Reading God's Holy Word in The Bible is the best way to know the truth for yourself, and then obey and let The Lord lead you in what He has for you.

2Tm:3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Every thing that it Holy and True for a Christian, will line up with God's Holy Word, in The New Testament, and The leadership of The Holy Spirit.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 AM

41 posts, read 54,952 times
Only god can show us the truth,. it is not of this world.. His kingdom is not of this world..
if we keep looking to the world to find truth we will never see it..
it is when we turn away from the world and turn to God is when we will see the truth..
there is no excuses to not find the truth.. it is already in us.. we just let distractions and deceptions fool us because we choose to....seek god with all your might and he will show u the truth.

no one on this site can telll you to follow "them"
follow god alone.. he is the only one who can lead u in the right direction..
anyone who tries to say that u are wrong and they are right are self righteous and want self praise..

be humble and seek god for yourself.. he will give you the way. not me.. not them,, only god.

bless.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:

Which is the better position to be in when facing God for judgement - do you think it's better to have NOT believed something you were supposed to believe, or is it better to have believed something you shouldn't have?

We are not saved by church doctrine. We are saved by the blood of Jesus.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him

Is there a sin that cannot be covered by Jesus, besides the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit?
Beyond that, nearly all denominations agree on the core-important tenents of the faith. Many simpley differ over style of worship or church govenment. Some came to be, because Uncle John was offended by the preacher and started a new church.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:

Perhaps the better question would be...why, if you are all reading from the same holy book ARE THERE SO MANY CONFLICTING VIEWS/INTERPRETATIONS/DOCTRINES...especially given that the book is alleged to be inspired and should not be confusing? Food for thought........

Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Perhaps the better question would be...why, if you are all reading from the same holy book ARE THERE SO MANY CONFLICTING VIEWS/INTERPRETATIONS/DOCTRINES...especially given that the book is alleged to be inspired and should not be confusing? Food for thought........

God Our Holy Father only teaches one way ( His Way )
in the New Testament, but many men teach there own way,
and the way that there church has adopted to suit there self.

There have been many False Prophets, False Teachers,
False Apostles of Christ in the past, and are still many today,
who teach things that are NOT Holy And True
as recorded in God's Holy Word ! ! !

And this is the reason why:

2Cor:11:13: For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14: And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15: Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Paul wrote to Timothy and told his that this would happen and that is why there are so many divided churches today Some want one this and others want something else. But very few want the REAL TRUTH ! ! !

2Tm:4:1: I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2: Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4: And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5: But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

TURNED AWAY BY THERE OWN LUST ! ! !

Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That is a good question. As most of us know, there are over 30,000 different Christian denominations in the world today. Almost all of them base their doctrines on the Bible alone. It ought to be evident that doctrinal disputes cannot be settled by an appeal to the Bible, since both sides of pretty much any doctrine that people disagree on can be supported by scripture. People who insist that their way is the only way any scripture can possibly be interpreted really aren't being honest with themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity