Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times

Advertisements

So we had this big office move over the weekend. Today all of the admin staff where rewarded with a thank you card and the wemon got flowers.They flew in another IT person from another office and she got a card and taken out to lunch. Being our only office IT person what did i get? Jack squat. Not even a thanks for helping. I realise IT is a thankless job but it does seem a little unfair. What do you guys and gals think about it? Our office busy body thinks that I just sit around all day and check email or somthing. I guess those servers and printers set themselves up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:12 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
My advise is to crow about your successes.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 PM

im actually trying to figure out a way to make it a positive thing and not feel negative about it. I even went out of my way to thank the people who helped move some the IT equipment for me because my back has been hurting and they wont let me move anything heavy.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
yeah... admins like to reward themselves...

IT also does sit around you only sit up the server/printers once until they break down...
buy yourself a beer and forget about it. just because someone else gets something doesn't mean you will get it as well... not fair? Sure, life isn't fair

Old 06-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
yeah... admins like to reward themselves...

IT also does sit around you only sit up the server/printers once until they break down...
buy yourself a beer and forget about it. just because someone else gets something doesn't mean you will get it as well... not fair? Sure, life isn't fair

ill remember that next time you call me in a panic because you cant email your mistriss.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
As a professional woman, receiving flowers as thank you for a project makes me feel rather ... icky. Somewhat patronizing, no? I'd rather be thought of as a professional, without the need for flowers or lunch.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:59 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Just let it roll. Life isn't fair. Take yourself out to lunch. Bring the newspaper.

Who needs a card. Do they still exist? Who does cards any more?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:10 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
First of all - learn how spellcheck works. It will enable you to put together reports that look professional to your management.

There is nothing you can do now about the past move. Whining about it now will only hurt your reputation

Yes I'm being tough on you. I spent 25+ years running networks and computer centers. I've moved offices both when branches have have closed or moved and corporate headquarters including being involved in planning the move, monitoring the construction of the computer room/network center and organizing the teardown and setup of the individual workstations. Sometimes I got more credit than others. But keeping everyone informed of the plans, the schedule, what was required of them, etc both before and during the move.

If something like this comes up again Be involved from the beginning. Make sure you understand the concerns of the key players. Know who the key players are. It isn't always the manager but sometimes a staffer who helps the manager set policy.

So now you need to decide if you can accept being overlooked and still give 100% to the job. And yes in IT you will often be forgotten. I used to tell people I hired 'We're like the fire department. No one thinks about us until there is a fire. Then they complain about how long it takes to put it out and that we had to get the whole office wet to put it out.'

It goes with the territory and has for many years.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:22 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
So we had this big office move over the weekend.
Quote:
my back has been hurting and they wont let me move anything heavy.
So there was a big office move, and you could not help because your back is injured (totally understandable!).
What exactly should the people who did the moving thank you for?
It is great that you thanked the ones that helped you.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
So we had this big office move over the weekend. Today all of the admin staff where rewarded with a thank you card and the wemon got flowers.They flew in another IT person from another office and she got a card and taken out to lunch. Being our only office IT person what did i get? Jack squat. Not even a thanks for helping. I realise IT is a thankless job but it does seem a little unfair. What do you guys and gals think about it? Our office busy body thinks that I just sit around all day and check email or somthing. I guess those servers and printers set themselves up.
When you were hired for this position, were you promised recognition for the work you do? Were you promised recognition for any additional work you do? Is there anything in your offer letter and/or contract and/or job description that mentions getting recognition of any sorts?

If so, you need to speak to whomever is your superior or in charge of recognition to clarify the lack of recognition. If there is nothing, I fail to see why you even expect anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment