Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
or they felt he had nothing to offer to the new hire.
or they realized the position was not needed and didn't backfill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's nothing personal and I wouldn't infer more out of it than is really there.

and especially since OP resigned and wasn't fired.

Not sure why he feels it's awkward.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 AM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, this is just awkward and unheard of.

As some of you may know, I gave my 2-week notice to leave my job as of June 12, thereby making June 26 my last day with my current employer. That's because I landed a job in the Columbus, OH area.

Anyway, I just found out yesterday that my replacement employee is starting this Thursday...the second to last day that I am here. Is it just me or is that CRAZY?!

During the past week, my managers were openly talking to me about who they are interviewing and what their timing is and everything. It was awkward. Who knows....maybe it's because this is a small company with only 100 employees.

I don't know. I have never ever heard of a replacement starting BEFORE the previous person's last day.

What do you think?
It's NOT crazy. I know of it happening many times. I've helped my replacement transition more than once. In many companies this is standard, helps the new employee, helps the company with the transition.

It's not all about you.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
I'll do one better than the OP. I actually interviewed my replacement when I quit my last job. The position required some technical skills and since I was the only one with those skills at this company, they asked me to interview two candidates.

When you go to fill a position, there's a lot of knowledge transferring that needs to take place. Either they can sit with you and then try to train the new guy, or they just have you sit directly with the new guy.

The latter is obviously better from their perspective because otherwise it becomes a game of telephone.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
It's absolutely normal to have your replacement learn from you what they can before starting your job. In my previous job we often had to train our own replacements for a week or more to get them quickly up to speed on all the details and procedures. Why do you find this so strange?

Like Jeo, I helped interview my replacement. Seems like you are the only one who's never trained their replacement in a situation where you left of your own accord with adequate notice.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Yes, that's normal. I don't understand why this is shocking. LOL

Old 06-23-2015, 11:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Its pretty late. Usually, its better to do it early so that knowledge transfer could be done well ahead in time

Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Think of this as an opportunity to go out a "rock star" by assisting in the transition. Be professional, offer your knowledge and experience., and leave good written examples, pointers, contacts, etc.

You'll secure a strong recommendation for any future pursuits.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:54 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Anyway, I just found out yesterday that my replacement employee is starting this Thursday...the second to last day that I am here. Is it just me or is that CRAZY?!
OP, it is just you!

Why is this even considered crazy? It would be crazy if your management brought someone on-board after you left. An overlap is necessary in most cases and you might be asked to train the person. You are leaving but the work continues and they need someone to get the work done. As simple as that.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 PM

231 posts, read 785,220 times
I helped train my replacement from my last job when I moved on. I actually took it as a sign of respect to me that they wanted me around long enough to help train my replacement. If they didn't give a rats @SS about me or didn't care to have me around they wouldn't have cared if I stayed long enough for that. I think it shows they respected my work enough that they allowed me to show them the ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment