Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 PM

576 posts, read 994,485 times

Advertisements

Would you quit your job if it meant that you'd now have to buy health insurance on the open market or thru Healthcare.gov?

I get our health insurance through my employer. Conditions at my work, however, have become almost more than I can bear. Tears, daily .. when I come home, cry because I have to go back, when I go back, tears because I have to go back. Tears at work (nobody sees me in my private little cubicle, call center work).

We "can" afford it, to go get health insurance elsewhere, but it will be a stretch and a tightening of the belt to do so.

Have you ever quit a job because it was so intolerable?

Why haven't I looked for another job? I have, and continue to do so. But I'm a call center worker, low skilled, technical support.

Something has to give. Either I'm going to have to go on some anti-depressants, or I have to get outta there. But pulling the trigger to do so, .. and then knowing that there is no safety net there, .. I haven't pulled that trigger, not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
If you can at all manage, don't quit before finding another job.

Yes, I have quit an "intolerable" job in the past. Turns out I had myself so worked up that I made it more intolerable than it might have actually been. Meaning... I bought into the d-r-a-m-a and kept it going in my own head and kept myself in a tizzy over every little thing.

I'm not saying you're doing that, please don't think I am. It's just that I've come to understand that it's better to leave on your own terms (either on to a new job or let them lay you off). You at least want the opportunity to get unemployment benefits, which you will not get if you outright quit. If you are truly having a mental breakdown, then immediately see your doctor, get yourself admitted to the hospital, and have your doc write a medical note, then go on short term disability.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
We "can" afford it, to go get health insurance elsewhere, but it will be a stretch and a tightening of the belt to do so.
That makes no sense, group health insurance and private health insurance are about equal in cost!

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, you were getting employer subsidized healthcare and thought that is what it really cost. My bad. The cost you see on the open market is about what an employer has been paying for decades. You wee just insulated from the cost by the company provided welfare subsidies.

You need to consider that in any decision to quit. One thing you can do is go back over the papers you get that provides information on your COBRA eligibility. You may have gotten it when you were hired or depending on the size of the company, you get one each year as well. That should state (at the time of the notice) what is the cost of the provided health insurance without the company subsidy. That is your approximate COBRA payment for that insurance. Compare that to the open market plans and see which is better.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:50 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Would you quit your job if it meant that you'd now have to buy health insurance on the open market or thru Healthcare.gov?
Sure. I quit my job two years ago and went to work part-time for my brother. I bought a health insurance policy (before healthcare.gov kicked in - and was grandfathered through December 31 of last year), at which point I got married and went on my husband's policy.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:19 PM

576 posts, read 994,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
That makes no sense, group health insurance and private health insurance are about equal in cost!

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, you were getting employer subsidized healthcare and thought that is what it really cost. My bad. The cost you see on the open market is about what an employer has been paying for decades. You wee just insulated from the cost by the company provided welfare subsidies.

You need to consider that in any decision to quit. One thing you can do is go back over the papers you get that provides information on your COBRA eligibility. You may have gotten it when you were hired or depending on the size of the company, you get one each year as well. That should state (at the time of the notice) what is the cost of the provided health insurance without the company subsidy. That is your approximate COBRA payment for that insurance. Compare that to the open market plans and see which is better.
Yes, I am aware what our health ins., subsidized by my employer costs in the real world. I have ck'd, it's $1600 monthly. I don't pay near that amount thru my contribution, which runs about 1/3 of that total.

I'm aware of what health insurance costs are, or used to be. I used to work for my husband, before I took this call center job (specifically for the health insurance, which had gotten so expensive). We used to buy our own, when I was in his employ. He works in a construction related field, and back in 2008 when the bottom fell out of the economy, especially for construction related fields, I went to work, somewhere/anywhere, that I could get health bene's.

There I remain, to this day. A call center worker. Low-level technical support.

Anybody who has ever worked in any kind of a call center can likely sympathize and some might even say it's a no brainer, get outta there.

Believe it or not, I've been at this long enough at this point, that irate customers don't bother me. Maybe that has already taken my soul. I can de-escalate a caller pretty quickly. And work to resolve whatever the issue is.

I'm tired of the extreme micromanagement. If you go to the bathroom too many times in one day, and having to "answer" for your "unplanned activity" call state of your phone. If you take too long to handle a call, having to answer for that. My stats are always well within goal, and my quality numbers always, without fail above goal. I get rewards and stellar reviews, consistently. But I am no different from the slackers as far as the micromanagement.

The latest that has me ready to throw in the towel for good. The corporates have decided we will now take and handle the call flow of an entire different dept. This other dept. has hundreds and hundreds of employees skilled/trained to handle that call flow. We are internet technical support. We support the website for this company, and end users who need assistance w/navigation and/or log in, etc. That's what I do. But the corporates have now decided we will train now, and answer that call flow in add'n to what we already do. I came from that dept., promoted to what I do presently, about 6 years ago. I used to do that particular dept's call flow. Nobody stays there, it's strict customer service, .. and it's brutal. The turnover rate in that straight customer service venue, is astounding. Nobody stays. They either leave the company entirely, or promote out. I've been there, done that, all of us have, who have promoted to the dept where we presently work.

It's a series of numerous things, as would be the case with anybody contemplating leaving their job. But this was the latest, and the straw that has "almost" broken the camel's back at this point.

It's a tough decision to make. It will be a belt tightner for us, to be able to afford health insurance on the open market, and now absent my income also.

What price is your sanity though?

When you literally can break into tears at any given moment, over your job, .. when you can't sleep at night for the anxiety, when you cry on the way to work. Cry on the way home, because you know you have to come back. When you break into tears at work, over what would normally, be a situation that one can sluff off pretty easily.

Something has to give.

Either I have to find the hat that says "I don't care", and wear it proudly. Something my makeup seems to prohibit. Or I have to quit.

What is the price of sanity? I wish someone could answer that for me.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
You need to start looking for another job. When you focus on that the call center BS will become manageable. You don't want to telegraph "I don't care", just do your best knowing that this is but a way station on your work life.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
No I would not quit any job in 2015 no matter how crazy it is because of the reasons below

1. Unemployment is only 26 weeks

2. You have to pay for your own health insurance

Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
Don't quit your job without having another one.

I worked in a call center for a year and I wanted to jump up on my desk and shout my two week notice when I found another job.......lol I didn't, of course.

Give yourself more credit for being able to tolerate abusive customers. Many people can't do that. If you're able to stand on your feet for eight hours, Costco and Aldi have a good reputation for treating their employees well and they pay well above minimum wage. I'm not sure their reputations are as good as they used to be, but I watched a 60 minute episode a long time ago that said Costco had the lowest turnover rate of a large retail corporation because the owner grew up middle class and he believes working people should be treated with respect.

My son's g/f works at Costco for about ten years now and loves her job.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 AM

38 posts, read 30,061 times
I would recommend quitting now if it affects your health. Nothing is worth giving up your health for.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:13 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
What is it about your job that is the most depressing? Is it the customers you have to deal with (listening to folks cry about the expense of the solution you are proposing?) Or is it the conditions in the office? Has something changed recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment