Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 PM

8,038 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

If there are other threads or posts on this subject, please direct me.

I have been working for over 35 years, unfortunately, most of those in jobs where I have had to deal with "the public" all day. There was a time I enjoyed it: I am considered friendly, outgoing, and extroverted.

I also love the people I work along side of, we are like a tight-knit family who spend 40 hours (sometimes more) together. I don't want to leave my job, there really are no other options in my town, we have good benefits, and I am the bread winner in my family, still supporting myself and two college kids. I am a good 15 years or more from full retirement.

However, I am getting absolutely sick and tired of dealing with the public all day. I don't know if I am getting older and less tolerant, I don't think that's what it is. I am just so sick of stupid, needy, lazy, or obnoxious people, and it' getting harder to smile and "fake it" all day. I come home drained and disgusted.

I just wondered if anyone else is in the same boat, or has been. I'm afraid I'm going to mouth off to someone. Should I just try to get some nerve pills? If you deal with the general public in your job, how do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
I poke them with a needle... gently. Okay, I just draw blood when I have to >.> It's the only time I deal with the public outside of educating them.

Can you just not support the college kids? They aren't exactly kids anymore either. Sure, you can provide them with a roof and feed them, but stop giving them money? They can figure out how to get spending money/college money if they really want it.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM

By supporting them, I mean keeping a roof over their heads while they are still in school. They pay for their own food, gas, clothing, etc....

I guess my point was that I can't just quit or really take a chance striking out and doing something else right now due to my responsibilities and the fact that I support myself as a single full-time working person. Just trying to see if others have the same issues of burnout dealing with the public in their jobs, and asking how they cope.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Oh lord yes, I am so sick of dealing with customers. They are far more demanding over insignificant things than they were just 10 years ago. Don't know whether it's the growing number of millennials in the workforce who lack basic social skills ( they demand everything and throw a fit if they don't get it) or the percentage of inexperienced people getting promoted ahead of their skills and think that because they have a certain job, they are experts on everything.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:39 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,026 times
I only needed a few years in customer service to give me a true appreciation for how crappy it is. The memories of "the public" kept me highly motivated to work hard throughout college. I'm so glad I never have to go back to that again.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
If you're not solving their problems, how do you justify your paycheque?

Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
If there are other threads or posts on this subject, please direct me.

However, I am getting absolutely sick and tired of dealing with the public all day.

I don't know if I am getting older and less tolerant, I don't think that's what it is.

I am just so sick of stupid, needy, lazy, or obnoxious people, and it' getting harder to smile and "fake it" all day. I come home drained and disgusted. ...If you deal with the general public in your job, how do you deal with it?
\

You answered your own question - you are getting older and less tolerant.

It happens to everyone, when the age goes up the patience goes down. Customer Facing jobs have a shelf life and most people cannot do it all day everyday for many, many years. Plus as you point out, customers change so they act differently and you still act the same.

I deal with clients in my job and while I am friendly and cordial most of the time if I hear something that offends me I will not hesitate to call that person on it. I would have never done that even 10 years ago.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Hitting the "reset" button is required every few days, months or years for all of us.

What helps me is the reminder that "the customer is the most important person" mantra.

They're your paycheck, and the only reason the business exists - while that may not help, it does help me when I then turn my attitude to gratitude and remember it's a good thing they don't all act like the ones that drive me crazy.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 AM

I appreciate all of your responses. They really have helped me put things into a better perspective. My job, and subsequent paycheck, really would not exist without the customers. I witness daily that there are people in far worse situations job wise than I am. I do need to be more grateful for my job and not take it for granted.

The fact that someone mentioned that as you get older your patience goes down really is spot on. What's surprising is that I always assumed that as you got older you acquired more patience, but that certainly has NOT been true in my case. I have much less tolerance for nonsense and general stupidity than I ever had when I was younger.

We have an economy where most job are service related, thereby requiring dealing with a customer base in some way. I just need to find a way to better handle it mentally - or go to the doctor and try to get on some good nerve medication!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment