Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 607 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I earned a bachelors degree in business administration (BBA) back in 2013, from Florida atlantic university. I majored in general business. Now I have developed an interest for accounting.

In order for me to earn a degree in accounting I'd only have to take 6 additional classes, but many universities that I spoke with do not grant second business degrees. The best they can do, is offer me a post baccalaureate certificate in accounting.
I'm interested in the accounting certificate at TESC.

I have a few questions for you guys.
1. How do you believe employers would view a person with a bachelors in accounting vs a person with a bachelors in business administration (with a post baccalaurate certificate in accounting, granted the post bacc certificate offers all the classes that an accounting major would take)?

2. I have not had any luck finding a school that allows someone with a business degree to earn a second business degree in accounting. Do you know of any school that allows this?

I know that this post was long. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 03:39 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
What do you want to do?

If you want to do something like, say, managerial accounting, then take a class in it and learn the software. Tax more your thing? Take some taxation classes or get a credential (like the Enrolled Agent designation).

I'm a CPA with a BS in Business Admin and a concentration in accounting. My CPA matters far more than my degree.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:36 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times
I have a post-bacc certificate in accounting. In Portland at least, employers knew what it was and had no problems with it. Recruiting was the same for new B.A./B.S. graduates and those in the post bacc program, as far as I know. And of course we were in the same classes.

Because of the education requirements for the CPA exam, postbaccs are very common.

You should of course ask around in your city if you can, to see if attitudes are the same, but I suspect it'd be similar.

For me the "problem" in my post bacc job search was that I was in my late 30s, with a career that showed a clear interest in govt and non-profits (and indeed, that's what I did with my accounting career, too). CPA firms were wary, and rightly so. I didn't apply to any corporate positions, so I don't know how that would have gone. But if you're young and more business oriented, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment