Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

I have a job, which I don't mind for the most part. All of the sudden, the boss starts asking me to work OT every week, and take on new responsibilities. No mention of pay raise of anything.

Are employers serious when they do this? Is this just an example of people not knowing how to run a business?

What makes this really disappointing is they are not capable of finding anyone to do the work. I don't think I'm going to be particularly nice about it when I bring the issue up. I think a 3 dollar pay raise AT MINIMUM is warranted. Since they do not pay for my health insurance, I will probably ask for $4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 03:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Well, go on with your bad self!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
This is becoming common at EVERY workplace. Since Employer's now realize they can take advantage of their workforce due to more people looking for work than new job openings being created. For every job opening there are hundreds of applicants today. So as a result employer's treat their workforce like PARASITES just to save a few bucks.

If you work for a company these days chances are you are going to be taken advantage of. Employer's have no shame.

Most employers have decimated and gutted their workforce (Gave themselves the golden parachutes and yachts), and are now operating on a skeleton crew and working their remaining crew to the bone for no extra pay.

As a result we have a workforce with low morale, 80-90% employee dissatisfaction/disengagement, high turnover with greatly talented, highly skilled employees taking off, and the income gap widening between the scumbag rich and poor shlemiel middle class (or whats left of it)

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-04-2015 at 04:24 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 03:53 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have a job, which I don't mind for the most part. All of the sudden, the boss starts asking me to work OT every week, and take on new responsibilities. No mention of pay raise of anything.
Is OT overtime, and isn't overtime paid out at time and a half?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Is OT overtime, and isn't overtime paid out at time and a half?
It sure is. And I live just fine on my 40 hours. If I want to work more, I have part time opportunities nearby that I work on occasion. I don't like doing the same kind of work for that many hours a week.

I never asked for OT, but many employers around here treat it like a privilege. Lol, what a joke the job market has become. People are back to buying 1/4 million dollar homes on 80 hour a week salaries. I saw how that played out 10 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
This is becoming common at EVERY workplace. Since Employer's now realize they can take advantage of their workforce due to more people looking for work than new job openings being created. For every job opening there are hundreds of applicants today. So as a result employer's treat their workforce like PARASITES just to save a few bucks.

If you work for a company these days chances are you are going to be taken advantage of. Employer's have no shame.

Most employers have decimated and gutted their workforce (Gave themselves the golden parachutes and yachts), and are now operating on a skeleton crew and working their remaining crew to the bone for no extra pay.

As a result we have a workforce with low morale, 80-90% employee dissatisfaction, high turnover with greatly talent employees taking off, and the income gap widening between the scumbag rich and poor shlemiel middle class (or whats left of it)
Ya, but all these local employers have help wanted signs up. They've officially run out of people to race to the bottom.

For the most part, employees are starting to take advantage of employers again because they know they can get away with it. The pendulum has swung. I'm a pretty decent worker though, which is why I'm demanding what I feel I'm worth, instead of trying to game employers. If they can't pay though, they gotta work with whatever happens to walk through the door, which hasn't been anyone as of late.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Are employers serious when they do this? Is this just an example of people not knowing how to run a business?

What makes this really disappointing is they are not capable of finding anyone to do the work. I don't think I'm going to be particularly nice about it when I bring the issue up. I think a 3 dollar pay raise AT MINIMUM is warranted. Since they do not pay for my health insurance, I will probably ask for $4.
Quite the opposite. The idea of having a business is to make money If they can get more work out of you for the same money, it increases their profits. That's knowing how to run a business. You can either deal with it, or quit, but as long as they an find someone else willing to be taken advantage of they will
continue to do it and make money. Thankfully, not all employers are like that, but it's not always easy to find an employer that is willing to make some sacrifices in the interest of their employees.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
At the end of the day, the employers are only hurting themselves in the long run though I think especially as long as the economy continues to improve and there is other options for the highly skilled, valuable employee. These slave labor owner companies will end up with nothing when its over but under skilled, crappy employees, and a result business suffers in the long run.

No high valuable, skilled employee is going to continue to get used, abused, and spat out.

These employers that treat their workforce like garbage will end up with just that in the end.. Garbage

Old 07-04-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Quite the opposite. The idea of having a business is to make money If they can get more work out of you for the same money, it increases their profits. That's knowing how to run a business. You can either deal with it, or quit, but as long as they an find someone else willing to be taken advantage of they will
continue to do it and make money. Thankfully, not all employers are like that, but it's not always easy to find an employer that is willing to make some sacrifices in the interest of their employees.
I'm afraid they will be looking for a new employee. And since they are already trying to fill 2 vacancies (at minimum), they will have their hands full for quite a length of time. But like I said, they have run out of people to short change. All the local employers are desperate for help. Even the good places that are known to pay well.

I've been offered employment at all of these businesses, but they refuse to pay my expected hourly rate. I have General Motors and Ford calling now (via temp agencies) trying to inquire what they will have to pay. I told them I don't apply through temp agencies though. I totally despise GM anyways. I wouldn't mind working for Ford at all, but I don't want to drive all over the place for some puny 2 tier wage BS.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:12 PM

254 posts, read 458,754 times
Maybe he's waiting to see how you handle your new responsibilities before offering you a pay raise?

Old 07-04-2015, 05:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
I love getting OT.
I had a streak where I worked it for 14 years straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment