Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 PM

765 posts, read 986,799 times

Advertisements

For the OP
Im pretty sure there are medical jobs out there with set hours / standards
You may have to take a pay cut thou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Someone said to me it's kind of a trial. See if you are good enough for the hospital. After 6 month's you get a set shift.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:56 PM

396 posts, read 512,830 times
That really depends on the hospital. Usually, those with more seniority have more stable hours. A new hire may be asked to float to different departments or work prn (as needed), usually getting enough hours in the pay period for full time but most likely will be different departments on different shifts. It's usually easier to hire on for permanent night shift than days (or 3 to 11 for those working 8 hour shifts), or hire in for a specialty department (ER, ICU, CCU, OR) if the employee has the necessary prior experience.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 PM

765 posts, read 986,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Someone said to me it's kind of a trial. See if you are good enough for the hospital. After 6 month's you get a set shift.
I never heard someone say that maybe cuz i never worked in private sector
But i never thou you have to earn a shift
I only heard of earning promotions and raises never a shift

Old 07-15-2015, 10:44 AM

Don't think it's more earning kind of compare it to Hunger Games ha. More trial by fire. I put in a transfer 3 weeks ago for a 12 hour night spot. Talked to my Manager 2 week's ago about the transfer. Then kind of subtly let it slip in a conversation. They wanted me to do OT to train in a new area. However, with the variable shifts and acuity was I needed a break on my day's off. Let my boss know available now that I am going back to my regular working 3 shifts a week can train. Trying to help co worker's out by picking a shift here and there not to exceed 40 hour's a week. Just to show my boss I am a team player I am motivated.

They just shut the application for the position, looking for 2 people. Right now it is at "Under Review", feeling bit hopeless...just have to wait and see.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM

So signed up for training to show interested in growing with the organization. Ugh not looking forward to it. Work eve's swing back to work then work 16 hour's go home swing back for eve's then go back work 8 hour days ha. Picked up days and cover empty shifts. Completed my 3 month review. Really doing all I can to select me for the transfer.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:08 AM

70 posts, read 84,371 times
i do the variable / rotating shift thing. i don't find it so bad. it is inconvenient not knowing exactly when you're days off are coming or when the schedule might change days and hours, but its not real terrible. i know i work three days graveyard shift atm, Mon-Wed. the other two days can vary in days and hours. and the Mon-Wed thing can change, too. sometimes i get split days off. work three, get one off. work another, get another off, work some more. i actually like that ok

sometimes i get 10 hour turnarounds. get off work and go back ten hours later. just enough time to get home and get some sleep and get up and go back to work. those i can do without, but its not a deal breaker. and i have gotten a couple of seven hour turnarounds, too. i can do without that, for sure. but a day off follows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment