Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 03:47 AM

823 posts, read 1,975,135 times

Advertisements

When I saw the Wolf of Wall Street by Leonardo di Caprio, I thought it was weird to find somebody who achieves a multimillion fortune by starting a company that basically makes phone calls to people and tries to sell them stock.

I've never worked in such a company, but I guess 99.9 per cent of people who get a phone call at their homes and find some salesman at the other end of the line just hung up.

Of course you can make money, otherwise there would be no such companies, but is it realistic to display the level of wealth portrayed at that movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 04:51 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,433,649 times
In my book, I'll tell you about how I achieved wealth for the next few generations of my family by using my cellphone from home.

It's only $49.99 +S&H.

But if you buy within the next 30 minutes...it's only 4 easy payments of $9.99!!!

The only mistake you'll make today is not buying two.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Most people with stock brokers or financial advisors have only met them in person a couple of times. Finance is still largely done over the telephone. The Wolf of Wall Street was about a penny stock scammer. That's out on the far fringe of finance. In more mainstream finance, the person with the money they want to invest is the one initiating the first contact. Once they have that relationship, their finance guy will call them periodically as the normal part of doing business and maintaining the relationship. I manage my mom's finances. She had everything with one of the big finance outfits. If I see that finance guy's name on my CallerID, I'm going to answer the call or at least fire off an email suggesting a better time to talk if I'm busy.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
In my book, I'll tell you about how I achieved wealth for the next few generations of my family by using my cellphone from home.

It's only $49.99 +S&H.

But if you buy within the next 30 minutes...it's only 4 easy payments of $9.99!!!

"How To Sell Get-Rich Books"

God, I hate these kinds of people. Although I am a tad jealous of their disgusting shamelessness.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
When I saw the Wolf of Wall Street by Leonardo di Caprio, I thought it was weird to find somebody who achieves a multimillion fortune by starting a company that basically makes phone calls to people and tries to sell them stock.

I've never worked in such a company, but I guess 99.9 per cent of people who get a phone call at their homes and find some salesman at the other end of the line just hung up.

Of course you can make money, otherwise there would be no such companies, but is it realistic to display the level of wealth portrayed at that movie?
It's called a boiler room operation. They mostly target the elderly who can be broken down more easily by high-pressure tactics.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:32 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
If you add internet to that phone, yes, you can become extremely wealthy. Figure out the right thing to sell, set up an attractive website and off you go, on your way towards that yacht in the Bahamas.

You could even make money without cheating people, which was what the Wolf of Wall Street was doing.

The telemarketers must be making money or they would stop doing it, and they certainly aren't stopping..

Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
When I was younger I received some calls from boiler rooms hyping "hot penny stocks". I have no idea how they got my number. I listened to a couple of the pitches but never bought any.

I wonder if the "boiler rooms" are still around. I wouldn't buy a stock from any salesman.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post

It's only $49.99 +S&H.

I have encountered numerous people who got caught up the get rich quick schemes, from MLM sales to the books and even the motivational speakers. They spent thier time planning on world travel, champagne, and lighting expensive cigars with $100 bills that were lit on fire. Not one made a dime. Its a huge industry, those who invest in the best case scenario make only a few dollars. A sucker is born every minute is right.

Escaping the daily grind on a million dollar yacht is not a reality for the vast majority of people. Better off investing in farmland and off the grid things, living a simple life. More have done this successfully then the get rich quackery.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
It's possible to be a crime fighting vigilante billionaire, TV represents reality. Maybe if you look at sun enough you can shoot beams from eyes and fly too.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:17 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,082 times
You can make a lot of money calling people or talking to people face to face. Some may never become Millionaires or Billionaires but they can be very well off. You just have to make enough contacts. It's all a numbers game. Many successful people I know in sales, that's all they do. Talk to people every single day about what they have to offer. It doesn't matter if they are selling cars, houses, insurance, investments, solar panels, ADT, or some kind of health drinks.

Now, if you don't have a high income product, you'll just have to have a large sales force to do exactly that too. If you have a high income product, it takes less amount of people to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment