Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingintherain22 View Post
I work in software. Many of my coworkers work crazy hours, nights, weekends, etc to get projects completed that were oversold to clients in the first place. I did this as well, my first few years, now I just see it as futility and a huge waste of time and of my life.

We may get good reviews but it really doesn't translate into big raises or bonuses. After a while it almost is seen as expected and you are not a "team player" or fully engaged if you DON'T work the crazy hours and have no work/life balance.

If you make salary and get the same pay no matter how many hours you work, you are essentially making 10-15/hour at a point if you work enough hours. Even more disturbing, is, you don't have the time or energy for anything else!

I've realized that I will never get rich working for someone else in a company. It's better to invest in myself and use my time to start my own side business or continue my education. I really do not see the benefit of giving up my extra time to a company any more and I really don't understand this mindset.
Now you're getting it. Right now you're a corporate and government slave. Also, remember that the more you make (w2 income), with our progressive tax code, the more the government takes. Work extra, earn extra money but government expects you to pay a higher percentage above (fill in) and your pay rate is worth even less.

The first part is to learn to make the right type of income (portfolio or passive income), the second part is to legally reduce the government grab.

You are waking up, all you need is a easy explanation to put it all together. Read Rich Dad Poor Dad and Cash Flow Quadrant. If you keep learning, wake up even more, take action it will change your life. IMHO, I would not go to his seminars, I hear he tries to sell a lot. His books are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-Poor-...ch+dad+poor+da

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dads-CASH...ch+dad+poor+da

Last edited by petch751; 07-16-2015 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 AM

698 posts, read 587,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why don't you answer the question yourself?

If you owned a company and had a low-key employee never rocked the boat, who just sat there and did his/her work as assigned and worked longer hours than everybody but expected no more, why would you lay that person off?

Of course, the people with charisma who are average or even lazy workers will keep their jobs too. That's always the way it is. Just like love and life too. People love those who can entertain them.

But the hard working chump will survive longer than the person who doesn't have charisma and is an average worker.
You can believe what you want. I have been in positions where I have been part of the team making layoff decisions and trust me the number of hours that someone worked or their extra effort on projects meant bupkis. Employers do love people that think like you though, you are a sucker ripe for the picking.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:40 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
You can believe what you want. I have been in positions where I have been part of the team making layoff decisions and trust me the number of hours that someone worked or their extra effort on projects meant bupkis. Employers do love people that think like you though, you are a sucker ripe for the picking.
Given that attitude, why should anybody do anything more than the bare minimum?

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM

765 posts, read 986,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
given that attitude, why should anybody do anything more than the bare minimum?
exactly

Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM

698 posts, read 587,939 times
Quote:
Maybe they shouldn't.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:42 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
First of all if i was a business owner I would not even be having people work long hours i am a firmer believer in work life balance and make sure theres a balance for me
If business is that bad instead of laying off people we all take a pay cut and work more harder to produce more business
Nobody likes a greedy corporate rat owner and well employees are not doin crap then we need to talk abit

The idea that people encourage a toxic environment for greedy businesses is overrated
Employees need to rest after 40 hours because weekends and nights will burn out employee i would worry for my employees
Work is always goin to be there so yea it can wait and operating after business hours is more expensive any ways
Operating after business hours and on weekend / holidays is often a necessity due to scheduled maintenance windows for downtime. There really is no way around it, so if you can tell me where this magical fantasy world is where all work stops at 5pm and everyone lives happily ever after by all means let us know.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:10 PM

765 posts, read 986,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Operating after business hours and on weekend / holidays is often a necessity due to scheduled maintenance windows for downtime. There really is no way around it, so if you can tell me where this magical fantasy world is where all work stops at 5pm and everyone lives happily ever after by all means let us know.
Plenty of Places actually....so long as you don't expect a really high wage/salary
Projects are interesting sometimes and benefits and stability is good

Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
Quote:
That's my plan now. I'm going to live life on my own terms, even if I have to do it on a bare bones budget.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:36 PM

615 posts, read 666,489 times
Quote:
Sounds more like a game of politics on who stays and who goes, not how good of a worker they are. Is that how you saw it?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Yep. As long as one is doing the basic minimum - the most well-liked people will be the ones who stay and the focused but perhaps not popular hard-worker will be the one who goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
Sounds more like a game of politics on who stays and who goes, not how good of a worker they are. Is that how you saw it?
Politics and popularity. I see it every day. Well, and age. Age matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment