Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM

38 posts, read 30,056 times

Advertisements

OP sounds like you place the blame on workers when you should place it on corporate greed.

That's who you should direct your frustration towards. Always trying to pay the lowest salaries, outsource to show bottom line profits. Exploit workers by reducing benefits, long hours, and layoffs in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was just at the bank a little while ago and I was speaking with the bank manager about one of his tellers . I had spoken to this teller on the phone and got a nasty attitude and also went to this tellers window and also got the attitude as well . Well that manager went right up to that window and chewed her behind out right in front of the customers , Im guessing because I chewed him out for accepting sub par work from his employees something my grandfather nor any boss I ever had would have been okay with . You see my grandfather had his own business in the 1940's and he never accepted anything less than best from his employees and he paid them a fair wage. Never once in the 60 years he owned the business did he ever accept guff nor a snotty attitude from any employee if they showed that attitude they were dismissed from their job . I really think if you are being paid an acceptable wage for your work then you should give your boss 100%.
I am thinking the problem is management. No good manager would chew out an employee in front of customers. The manager should have talked to the employee in private. No wonder the customer service is so bad. It starts at the top.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:51 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Not sure where you all work, but where i work no one is lazy. I wish people would calm the hell down and take a few days off here and there and not work 10-11 hour days. I noticed on glassdoor that is also a complaint about where i work-working too hard and being expected to be available whenever needed. There are certain position where yes you do have to be available more than others but even those people should not constantly be on call. And no i dont work in healthcare where it's life or death. I work at an ed tech company.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 AM

206 posts, read 238,631 times
The twenties were never given any discipline so they continue their temper tamtrums at work and expect to be pacified if they get cranky -- makes mentally unstable, clueless worker with no discipline. This is a real bankruptcy maker. Emergency moment is some of the cities won't even hire their youngsters, instead trying to lure in out-of-towners and international students.

These cushy parents are also enablers to their big brat -- never a worry to 'need' a job or worry about what happens when the kid get fired. Mommy and Daddy are still paying for a lot of it...

Slow responses and such look like my city -- failing economically so bad due to bad employee pool for running away all the good workers. Things started to look like many of the businesses here are barely hanging on and is time to rethink staying here...Staffing is so low, lots of these businesses look like they are about to take their last law suit. I think it time to cash out and rethink employment options/career desires.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleT23 View Post
OP sounds like you place the blame on workers when you should place it on corporate greed.

That's who you should direct your frustration towards. Always trying to pay the lowest salaries, outsource to show bottom line profits. Exploit workers by reducing benefits, long hours, and layoffs in a heartbeat.
I was going to say the same. In all business I have direct contact with - there is no incentive to do a good job. You will still earn the same mediocre salary. You just have to show up. Sometimes I do get annoyed a slow moving clerks in retail/food establishment but then I remember that they have no reason to work harder. That relaxes me. And my own office, same.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Reasons why people are lazy at work today:

1. Lack of meritocracy. Promotions based off strictly nepotism and cronyism today. (Its far more important to be a good drinking, golf buddy with upper management than it is to know your job, have the necessary skills,bring value but not be buddies with the people in power)
2. Uneven, UNFAIR distribution of salary and wealth. (All the money flows to the top with far less flowing down than before). The Rich continue to get richer while the poor stay poor or get poorer while the price of everything else goes up.
3. Employers that have no appreciation for it's workforce. (Yes there are some who still do but they are few and far between)
4. Employers figuring out they can work best on a skeleton crew while treating the poor sucker leftover workforce like field hands with the work of 50 people thrown on them and no hint of raise or promotion

... Why wouldn't people be lazy today? Only suckers work their tail off for these employers we have today.

Truth is, its not even worth being in the corporate world today unless you're high up at the executive level where you get all the perks, get to call the shots, and do god knows what else all day. Anything below that is nothing but a crapshoot these days.

IF these companies would treat their employees like... Employees. With respect, appreciation, consideration, and added incentives, bonuses, pay increases etc and not like parasitic organisms to starve out and just "numbers", you would barely have any lazy employees.
I'm sorry, but your post really look like whining to me.

I work hard and make sure my work have a certain level of quality to them because I take pride in my work. I often double/triple check my work before submitting them.

Hard work and dedication really pays off. People don't see this because, perhaps, they are not dedicated to their career enough?

I recently got headhunted by a major corporation to join one of their management teams. In my office, I'm the younger person here even though I'm 2nd down from the top.

You speak about unfair distribution of salary? When they headhunted me, they offered me a 50% increase from my already above average salary with my old company to drop everything and come join them.

On the other hand, let me give you a couple of examples of people who will never advance further than where they are.

I recently brought my company car into a car dealership to have some repairs and maintenance done. In the list of repairs needed, I specifically wrote driver side tail light need replacement. If you look at it, it was all smashed up. When I went back to pick it up, I was confused because it looked the same to me. The dealership told me they replaced the passenger side tail light. They waved over the mechanic who did the job and the mechanic said he thought the paper said passenger side.

I was perplexed by their answer, because if you just stood there you'd see that one side was all smashed up and the other was all good. Why would anyone in his right mind see that and then replaces the side that was good while leaving the all smashed up side alone?

So, last night I took it in again for them to replace the correct tail light. At 5:30pm I called Hertz confirming that they were closing at 6pm and that if I got there before 6 I'd get a car. My company had made reservation for me! My assistant drove us to Hertz and we got there at 5:45pm. The door was locked and the lights were off. I called their number and nothing.

Those of us who actually care about the quality of our work get annoyed at people who simply don't care. I'm still perplexed by how the mechanic could think it was a good idea to replace the tail light that was good while leaving the smashed up one alone and why the Hertz guy would tell me to come before 6pm at 5:30pm and then he closed up shop before 5:45pm?

The fact of the matter is if you do mediocre work or do the bare minimum amount of work required DON'T WHINE WHEN YOU DON'T GET PROMOTED OR DON'T GET A RAISE.

As a manager, nothing irks me more than people who do mediocre work. I show people respect by making sure all my work carry a certain level of quality before I pass my work on to the next person. Why can't they show me the same kind of respect?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 AM

83 posts, read 104,527 times
Just because nearly all things are done by a robot or computer nowadays. Everything is too easy for us. They prefer to sit in the front of the computer and start working. This makes people so lazy.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 PM

447 posts, read 652,117 times
For me it comes down to motivation. If the work is interesting or if there is tons to do I enjoy my work and will buckle down and be hella productive. If the work is boring repetitive or slow it can be a challenge for me. Though if there is opportunity to make good money and advance I'll bust my butt no matter what in pursuit of these things. Thank god most are lazy makes it easier and more likely for those of us who wanna work to do so!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It all depends on the pay. I'm lazy and do the bare minimum if I'm paid an unlivable bare minimum wage. If I'm paid well, I do well.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It all depends on the pay. I'm lazy and do the bare minimum if I'm paid an unlivable bare minimum wage. If I'm paid well, I do well.
I'm motivated by what I'm contributing to more than the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment